Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Reptiles have emotions?

• Yes

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have PMed some to a few members on here before, and I might have posted in previous threads - I'll scan through and have a look.

Otherwise, I'm at work at the moment so will have to take a look through my material when I get home.

I'll PM you and well done for being interested in material other than that posted on internet forums - you seem to be a rarity ;)

Melissa, I'm incredibly interested in this, even if I'm coming late to the party. If it's not too much trouble would you mind PMing me with the articles too? My best friend's a philospoher in the field of cognitive science - we have long talks about the issues of measuring animal cognition, and it's something I'm very interested in, both from an academic perspective, but also from personal interest as an animal keeper/pet owner. If you could that would be great!

I am unsure, but I am not discounting it. Perhaps on a certain level they recognise recurring stimuli that is unique to the keeper? This does not necessarily mean that they recognise the keeper as a person, or the key to their survival etc.

I may be doubling up on what others have already posted (I'll find out as I read down I guess), but I think most definitely that snakes can recognise an individual. I haven't seen anything approaching emotion in my snakes, (though like most humans I do tend to describe their actions in emotional terms for my own amusement/good story-telling, it's not what I *objectively* believe) but my Prossie and Stimsons both come straight to me like arrows if they're outside and something threatens them, or if I hand them to someone else and they're not comfortable with them. I particularly had a "breakthrough" with Guin (my Proserpine) a little while after I got her from her previous owner who hadn't handled her in over 2 years. Guin was snappy and anti-social, and I did a *lot* of work gentling her and getting her acclimatised to being handled again. One night I had her out with me on the back patio for ages; it was chilly and she snuggled up in the small of my back, under my jumper. After that, she stopped being snappy, and when I took her out, if something startled her she'd make a beeline for me and wrap around me until she felt confident enough to head off exploring again.

I don't kid myself that this was "love"; rather it seems a recognition that "this creature = safety/warmth", but she does it to the point that a number of others have commented on it. She also now lets me wrap my hand entirely round her head, when she doesn't like others touching her there. Again, I think that's a familiarity response rather than affection, but it does indicate trust to a certain degree, to me (which I find touching enough, without needing it to be love). I don't think she needs to have emotion to experience that, but I'm prepared to keep an open mind.:)

Well now your anthropomorphioghkr (what ever the hell that word is) my post. How you pick up an accusatory way is beyond me. Its great that you are so keen to get across your point (however, you admit yourself that you don't have enough experience to have formed an opinion.)
When it comes to showing emotion, it mostly comes from facial expression. I have seen drawings of monkeys with different fascial expressions for each of their emotions, it helps the zoo keepers to read the animal.
To "show no emotion" is a form of fascial expression. Its a blank look. People in court have it, as they hear their sentences being read out when they know they are guilty and have lost all control over their life. I am sure you have heard the term
'Showing no emotion'.
An emotion is not an act. I could do anything, or act out any number of nice or nasty procedures but without the facial expressions, in other words with a 'blank look' you would be wondering where my head was at.
Emotions, on the other hand, come from the heart, and without thought. This is transmitted through the face.

Emotion in animals is not transmitted solely - or in some animals mainly - through the face. Anyone who has kept pets or spent time studying wild animals will know that there are a vast array of responses indicating states of mind or 'emotional' states which are completely non-facial - muscle tension in various parts of the body, tail response, breathing changes, movement of limbs, even angles of the head and neck, which are close to the face without being facial, etc. I've worked with horses for nearly 30 years; they have a huge array of non-facial communications. My reptiles do too, to a lesser degree (admittedly it's harder when you're pretty much just a tube). I can tell a lot about what "mood" they're in by their body language. We as humans communicate to a large extent by using our faces, so it stands to reason we instinctively try to do the same with other animals. But, in the same way we would need to learn French to speak properly with someone from France, we also need to learn animal to understand them, rather than judging them by our standards. It took years for scientists to ascertain that cats were not less intelligent than dogs, because they were testing them both in the same ways. For years, our best and brightest thought you could test a pack animal and a solitary hunter using the same reward/problem-solving tests. As an intelligence test for humans that doesn't speak volumes.:)

Sorry to hijack your post but I believe birds (or at least some species of birds) can problem solve. It has been shown that crows can make tools, carry out a task and they are actually capable of teaching it to others. Crows also effectively eat cane toads by flipping them onto their back and avoiding the poison glands.
This is a good example of a crows ability to problem solve and yes it has been studied scientifically YouTube - Tool-Making Crows

I'm also interested in ideas of animals and play, when it comes to demonstrations of abstract thought. There was an observation from people studying cephalopods recently that octopi were displaying traces of mischief and a sense of humour (from memory one of the octopi in question was sneakily squirting its keepers down the back of their neck, then flushing with the "pleasure" colour), and what that might mean in animal terms. Many domestic animals have quite a sophisticated sense of play. I haven't seen this in snakes, and I don't have lizards (yet!) to observe, so I'm not sure this relates to reptiles, but it's another way to think about abstract thought in animal cognition.

Thanks so much for this thread, Longqi. It's made for some fascinating reading, and made me want to do a lot more reading into the subject. I'm also interested to hear of any more anecdotal evidence (like RedLittleJim's experiments). Thanks everyone.:)

Last edited:
i find it funny that there seems to be more people who think that they have emotions and are yet open to the fact that they may not compared to people who dont and there more closed minded. i think its a good point on both sides and considering where we are at now in science etc etc the real answer is... NOBODY KNOWS

i find it funny that there seems to be more people who think that they have emotions and are yet open to the fact that they may not compared to people who dont and there more closed minded. i think its a good point on both sides and considering where we are at now in science etc etc the real answer is... NOBODY KNOWS

The other point is that you have to DEFINE emotions first before you can really awnser the question.

yes, my Stimmie hatchling hates me, lol I think hate is an emotion isn't it? ( I know your probaly thinking, he dosn't hate me, he is just scared of me and being defensive, but your wrong!!lol he is plotting my death, i see it in his beady little eyes)

We will have a definite answer about animal emotions in about 3 hours
This test will prove everything beyond any shadow of doubt

Im off the watch State of Origin now at the toughest pub in Bali
I will wear an AFL jumper and take video of how the animals react

Im off the watch State of Origin now at the toughest pub in Bali
I will wear an AFL jumper and take video of how the animals react

Same as with that python on your bed Longqi; regular updates, so we know you're alright.:p

my water python proposed to me! thats love and devotion... unless she is just after my money but i will have a prenup

my water python proposed to me! thats love and devotion... unless she is just after my money but i will have a prenup

Now that is a surprise. After your experiments I'd have sworn blind it was going to be the coastal that proposed; that was some impressive showing of fidelity there.;)

Just a side question

Do humans deny animals can have emotions simply because of the way we treat most animals??

Just a side question

Do humans deny animals can have emotions simply because of the way we treat most animals??

I believe humans like to consider whether they do or not when it best suits humans. Now imagine someone working in an abattoir , They could believe animals to have no emotions to morally justify themselves. Yet they could go home to a pet dog, which they love and and believe loves them.

There is a difference between Reptiles & Mammals for a start, & to go even further Does brine shrimp have emotions??????

Cheers
Ian

The more time I spend with and interacting with my little adopted “child” Lizzy - The House Skink, the more I am convinced she is very cleavour, and that she genuinely enjoys hanging out with me.

She asks me for food treats when she's hungry (comes up to me and from about 12" away looks into my eyes and gives me the hungry lizard stare and she is so gentle in how she takes the treat of my open hand or from between my finger tips. If she finds a bug on the floor or a bug in her food treat dish she slams it. Her behaviour is different when taking a bug off me.

She has days wheh she wants something different as a treat, she’ll check the food offering ans then will refuse it and look at me and will be insistant about it until she realises I wont give in (sometimes I don’t) or she decides after a few days that “bugger it – I’m hungry”.

She stays close to my hand and assumes the "tickle me under under the chin please position" quite regularly (sometimes with each bug I give her) and even leans into to tickling finger. I enjoy tickling her under the chin as much as she enjoys being tickled. Is this her being affectionate ?

She chooses to be with me, she's not hungry everyday that she pays me a visit, (So the food incentive is not why she's hanging out) and she regularlly hangs out with me for 3 or 4 hours (spends a lot of that time in floppy sleepy lizard mode - totally confortable in very close proximity to me .... this is a wild and not a "domesticated never been free" eastern water skink and she is totally free to come and go and anything she wants and has the freedom and run of the house and I know she regularly spends time outside (I've seen her sunning herself on my front patio, watching me from unde the aircon compressor unit - her regenerating tail is a give away and I now recognise her side markings).

I think she also likes being spoken to, as she will look straight back up me and seems to be paying attention . I don’t think she understands me, but I think she associates my voice with pleasureable things.

If she gets a super treat – a nice juicey live cricket (hand fed by me, I give her one every 4 or 5 days or a thawed out frozen cricket every week or so if my stock is limited) she gets really animated ofter she’s got it (it’s a special treat for her), becomes a crazy lizard, runs and crawles and climbes about on the lounge room furnature liks a lizard who’s possessed – same if she catches a nice juicey bug (cockroach or spider) when she goes on one of her hunting patrols.

When I pick up the mealworm tub and start getting a few of them out and putting them into a little hospital pill cup she knows what’s coming and she comes over and is clearly anxious for her mealworms (she loves them more than anything other than a cricket).

Inquisitive !! hell yeh .... anything new on the floor or on the lounge gets her intimate inspection as soon as she spots it.
We now warn everyone who visits to not put any open bags or other things she is likely to get qurious about and can climb into , on the floor or the lounge or anywhere she might go, we may not see her, she makes herself scarce when visitors call , but she may do a clandestine inspection.

She's amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back