Reptile Freezing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About fifteen years ago, whilst down the snow, I found a spotted grass frog in a block of ice, ( a small stream next to the road had frozen during the night.). We broke the ice off and defrosted it and the frog started moving, with-in ten minutes the frog was fine and jumped away. You see and plenty of this sort of thing on doco's and the like, but when it happens in your hand it is truly amazing!

That's a pretty interesting article. i would have thought that if their brain froze it would get damaged by it expanding... but i guess they are the experts.

Ah if only frozen rats would do that for those of us with snakes that need live! :) I hate rats, they stinkl.:)

Re brains freezing, I think some can produce, or naturally have a chemical in the blood that works like antifreeze, and the vital organs, brain, heart etc do not actually freeze, (no expanding just chilling) hence keeping them alive.

Yes that's right. The frog I found although stuck in a swimming pose, totally encased in a solid block of ice, was not frozen, just limp and soft and took a little time to get it's bearings.

i remember an article about 10 years ago about seeds that were found inside a hollow rock (I presume there was a hole in it at one stage), they said carbon data indicated they were approx 23 thousand years old........they germinated & grew fine !....mother nature certianlly is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back