reptile keeping in australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melichode

Reaction score
hey all,

this was just a question i wanted to get some opinions on. do you think that due to living in Australia we are limited in reptile keeping in terms of the number of species we can keep. i know there are many endemic species that we are lucky enough to be able to keep but there are so many we cannot. just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

edit: just realised i accidentally posted into the diy zone my bad.

Obviously if we want to live in Australia we are limited to keeping only Australian natives within Australia (with a couple of possibly precarious exceptions such as emerald monitors, white-lipped pythons, and Chondros depending on how you view them). It's not just a matter of opinion, obviously (virtually) all exotics are banned, which obviously limits the number of species available. It's definitely in the best interests of Australia, but it's a touchy subject which really riles some people up, and many people manufacture various arguments to try to justify their stance of wanting exotics legalised, which is probably moot since it seems almost certain never to happen.

Australia does have a really lovely variety of reptiles to choose from anyway. Corns and Balls are the most popular snakes outside Australia, and the niche is nicely covered by Antaresia and Carpets in Australia, both of which are coming out in an impressive selection of morphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back