Reptile Minding Service.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider178

Reaction score
My wife is researching the viability of a pet sitting service and was thinking about providing for reptiles as well.
I know snakes can be left without food for a while but would people be interested in a service where somebody came to your house and feed and watered your various scaly friends.
The cat and dog service is rather popular, what are peoples thoughts on the same for reptiles??

As you said, snakes can go a bit without any food, but they do need water, and gecko's are also a bit more high maintenance than snakes, so maybe if she provided a 'sitting service' for gecko's as well. Fish are another pet that people don't often think about for 'sitting services' as well. I know my holidays would be made easier if there was somebody with a bit of knowledge able to take care of my gecks and fish tanks.

You dont need a sitting service for fish.. you can buy automatic fish feeders for like $20.. it will feed your fish for a month.. But reptile sitting is a good idea. because you cant just ask a friend to take them..

All-round pet minding service would be awesome, but you'd probably need all sorts of references for some of the people who own reps. I'm not doubting your intentions are honorable, but thieves have tried stranger ways of pinching pythons for a few bob and having permission to walk into somebody's home, check out their systems, cages, etc might be a bit much.
It's still an awesome idea though :D I say go it.

You dont need a sitting service for fish.. you can buy automatic fish feeders for like $20.. it will feed your fish for a month.. But reptile sitting is a good idea. because you cant just ask a friend to take them..

You have a point GeckoRider but it also may depend on the type of fish a person has as exotic varieties of fish may require more attention.

You have a point GeckoRider but it also may depend on the type of fish a person has as exotic varieties of fish may require more attention.

Thats more the type of fish I was talking about, a couple of goldfish in a tank can go ages with one of those holiday feeder tablets or an automatic feeder, but the more involved ones like marines etc need a bit more upkeep. depends on how long the holiday is I suppose!! ;)

I've provided care for peoples tanks, it's not just feeding, if you have special fish you want to have their regular water changes, etc done while you are away for an extended period.

Whilst the idea sounds good in theory it raises a few potential issues.

This idea would mean that a stranger would have free run of the owner house. The potential for temptation may be too much for some.*

In light of the recent "breeding loan" thread where a trusted family member stole snakes. Not worth the risk of having a stranger deal with my snakes (nothing against you)

I personally keep to my self exactly what I keep so very few people actually know what I have. (I know alot of other people do the same)*

Not questioning your knowledge but how would you deal with a situation like this (all hypothetical) Coastal taipan needs water and feeding. Not a task to be take lightly.*

Just a couple of ideas I had. If you could satisfy the owner and they are happy for you to care for their reps, *best of luck.*

Luckily at this point in time I get my brother to look after my reps when I am away. *

maybe to set the person's mind at rest you could go thru a police check like they do for people working with kids today

a good question about dealing with dangerous snakes, maybe a snake handlers course, up to date first aid course, etc to show everyone that your capable of dealing with all sorts of reptiles

might be an idea to start with bearded dragons, gecko's, etc and build up the clientele from there and getting references as you go

the signing of a confidentiality contract as well might go a long way to establishing honesty and credibility

offer to come around and see them, get to know their animals, their feeding habits, handle them in front of their owners to show your confident and capable before they go away this will also go towards your credibility

personally i think its a fantastic idea, we would like to go away in December for a few days but 'cricket' is our only worry about leaving her alone for a few days, im seriously considering asking someone from our local wildlife rescue group if they would look after her, though of course anything will have to go by the ranger here first

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far, Security check is being applied for as we speak.
I could give her a reference if she cleaned out the poop for a few weeks I suppose ;).
I think she is looking at starting with the furry species at first but will mention that all animals considered.

I have a friend who works for "fetch" and they do the pet sitting thing and will look after snakes (tho I dont know how much they know about snakes!!) They all have to go through a police check and I believe they have to have check ups done all the time as well. They work out of Brisbane area i think and have a good rep as far as I know. I think its a good idea!

I would also be looking at a substantial amount for liability insurance. Pathogens such as OPMV can wipe out entire collections. If she goes to one area with animals that are infected then moves on to the next place without having properly sterelised herself, well that ain't going to be a nice scenario... Another of the main reasons (if not the main) apart from theft why people keep a "closed" collection.

my indoor lizards get dropped at a store when i go away and my out door ones get looked after by a pet sitter who only has acess to out doors. its def worth it imo!

I do pet minding myself and have noted Reptiles as one of the many animals we're happy to care for but unless it's someone who personally knows me I don't expect to receive much business in the reptile side of things as it is a huge trust and most people would rather rely on someone they know to care for them rather than the worry of coming home to an empty collection. It's a good idea and I find the best way is all through word of mouth, I've started minding nearly 12mths ago and have now slowly started to get some regulars and more on the way. Mainly cats and dogs though...

i don't trust people that i dont know ...i don't even trust the ones i do know (most not all) so when mum goes to perth for my uncles 60th im staying home to look after the zoo. plus our cat is highly allergic to the vaccines so she can no longer be put in cat boarding ( 95% chance if we vaccinated her she'd die from anaphlaxise)

JasonL that should only be an issue if you were caring for them on your own premises, if they remained in the owners premises it would be fine with DECC I would think ;)

Out of curiosity as this is something I've done in the past for others what would it take to trust someone from a pet minding service? For example in my situation I care for wildlife professionally(as in I work at a zoo as a zookeeper), have a degree in zoology as well as having my own so I have a good understanding of quarantine protocols, etc and a good understanding of general care, etc. Is this something that people would consider if it was someone like me doing it or would it still be a blanket no for most? (Sorry to hijack OP just figured it wasn't worth starting another thread for)

You only require a license to own the animals Jason not to actually care for them, I care for natives and exotics at work and don't have to carry a license to do so. Certainly would not consider taking on vens unless I had done a ven handling course, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back