Reptile one hatchling starter kit review

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggytiger8

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have my very first snake, a hatchling stimsons python coming in a few weeks, after it's eaten 8 times and shed properly, so probably ~2-3 months old. I am now in the process of getting a hatchling/ click clack style set up ready so I have it right for when the snake comes. I have read quite a bit on click clack style set ups but I was wondering if anyone has used the reptile one hatchling starter kit which comes with a very small lockable tank and heat mat plus other accessories? https://m.catch.com.au/product/rept...emYhVoaAuWmEALw_wcB&offer_id=27590818&ref=gmc
This appeals to me so I can see in at the snake more easily through the glass and watch it, as well as learn its behaviour, as well as also dulling my urges to harass the snake so he can be left in peace while he settles. Is there a reason this is worse than a Sistema container? Ultimately I just want wants best for the hatchling but I am so excited and would love something a bit nicer/ easier to see the snake if possible (I was probably going to block 3 sides of the glass)

I used one to start with when I got my children’s. I ended up switching to an exo terra, mini I think it is 30x30x30. The reptile one has a slide lid which was tricky to slide and lock. You also can’t run a thermostat cord on the inside as there’s no opening. I much preferred the small doors in the exo terra with the sturdy lock and the ability to run cords through the dedicated holes and behind the backing. One tip though is the openings in the backing at the bottom are to big, you’ll need to block them off with some styrofoam or they make there way behind the backing.
it’s also more aesthetically pleasing as well as functional and will last. Is definitely more expensive but worth it.

You’re paying 130$ for what can be done for 40

This is my hatchling bredli/carpet setup: 9L tub (for a stimsons you would probably want the 5L tub or possibly smaller) from reject shop, 2 TP rolls, trellis from bunnings and a heatcord/heatmat underneath 1/3rd at 32°c

Attachments

• 8EBF25D3-6346-4F72-ACAD-84057662183B.jpeg
    8EBF25D3-6346-4F72-ACAD-84057662183B.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 49
You’re paying 130$ for what can be done for 40

This is my hatchling bredli/carpet setup: 9L tub (for a stimsons you would probably want the 5L tub or possibly smaller) from reject shop, 2 TP rolls, trellis from bunnings and a heatcord/heatmat underneath 1/3rd at 32°c
You're paying $40 for what costs me $2 ;)

I’m sure you have enough spare gear to set up for years and years o_O

We had to build new racks and make boat loads of new tubs this season and last. Who knows what future seasons will bring? I do cringe seeing people pay $150-200+ for stuff which isn't as good as what I make with $2 and a few minutes of time, although most of them want it to look pretty above being functional and might not be as happy with what I use. Given that they only need the hatchling tub for a few months though, it seems to be quite a waste.

Where do I find these heat mats or cords for under $2? . Please do tell. Will save me a fortune.

I'm not sure whether or not he was including the price of a heat mat and thermostat in his $40 figure (I assumed not) so I figured we were just talking about the tub itself, but since I run large numbers of tubs off a single thermostat and one heat source services around 50-100 hatchling tubs and I buy everything wholesale (mostly for fun, I actually visited the factory in Saigon where my favourite hatchling tubs are made and bought a bulk load there for a trivial price), even including heating and thermostats it would work out to around $2 per hatchling tub for me.

If I assumed incorrectly and you can set up a hatchling tub for $40 from scratch including heating and thermostat, please let me know so I can recommend the electronics to my buyers.

The 40$ definitely included the heatmat/cord - i didn’t include thermostat as the Link posted doesnt contain a thermostat either

y0vD3ud.png

Last edited:
Where's the $12 thermostat?
??? What do u mean, the bundle he posted didn’t have a thermostat either, he would have had to buy one, therefore I didn’t add one to my 40$

but if you must, you can get a LOX-12A thermostat for roughly 20AUD

Latest posts

Back