Reptile passed away, am I required to tell QLD wildlife?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if we’re required to tell authorities (QLD) if a reptile passes away? One of our bearded passed away a while ago and it’s just struck us that we haven’t informed qld wildlife. I can’t find any legislation on it and I assumed that id just have to record it in the log book (but they never provided one) so I really don’t know what we’re meant to do.
Any help would be appreciated!

Yes you have to update your data every year, not sure how you do it in Qld but in NSW, we log in online and submit our records in April each year (we haven't had paper records for a few years now) We are supposed to make any changes within a week of any event.

Currently for Queensland you just need to record in your record book that it has died and how many individuals you are left with. Unlike in other states, Queensland license holders do not have to submit our records each year (honestly they don't have the framework or enough employees currently to handle it). Chances are this will change in the future once they update the legislation for keeping wildlife in Queensland, but as it stands just fill out your record book and that's it.

Also note, you need to order a record book when you acquire you're license. They do not send them out automatically. Have a look on the licensing website and you will find where to apply to have a record book sent out to you.

Cheers, Cameron

I live in NSW and I only make entries to the log IF I've had a change in the pet lizards I have. I think it's a PITA and a total waste of my time updating when there is no new information to give them.

Thank you so much everyone! I found Qld to be really chilled out compared to NSW regarding the log books. We started in NSW and couldn’t believe they don’t check the log books regularly in QLD... We recently moved away from Qld and don’t have our beardie anymore so didn’t have to worry about the import/export licences as per usual. So I just didn’t really think about having to inform them about her passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back