Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which I will be there for!!! Also what flash guns would u recommend

It depends on what camera you have got. Dedicated systems, be it lenses or flashguns are always preferable to independent brands.

hmmm getting complicated... i have an idea... how about you send me down you most expsensive camera and equiptment, i'll trial it and see what i thing :p

With a single flash gun used correctly on the right subjects, given that your camera and lens were of equal quality, you could take photos far superior than 95% of the work I've seen from Michael.......

It is true that lighting is everything in photography.

(If you want to take good macros at night you will need 2-3 flash guns depending on their design/mounting.)

Here's a bunch of single flash gun work to illustrate my point external links because the photos are by a friend not mine.
Eastern dwarf tree frog - Litoria fallax | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ornate Nursery Frog - Cophixalus ornatus | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Paper Wasp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Norhern Leaf-tailed Gecko - Saltuarius cornutus | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Long-legged fly - Auckland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the compliment Geck. LOL

Why do you say "If you want to take good macros at night you will need 2-3 flash guns"? It doesn't matter if it's a day or night, to be able to close aperture to f16 or f22, you need flashlight.

Pggle, I will show you examples of shots taken with 1,2 and 3 flashguns of the same subject using the same settings. You will see and appreciate the difference. Sure, you can take pretty good pics with a single flash but there are limitations. You won't get this shot with one flashgun:

i-swS77W6-L.jpg

cheers
M

Last edited:
Why do you say "If you want to take good macros at night you will need 2-3 flash guns"? It doesn't matter if it's a day or night, to be able to close aperture to f16 or f22, you need flashlight.

It's true that if you want to bump up the aperture to f16 or f22 even in the day you will need flash light, but during the day there is at least some light, you can get away with a lot more with less flash and still create brilliant pictures. At night time there is no light at all, every single feature of that picture is determined by how you use your flash and to achieve good results using more lights is very useful. All I'm saying is you can get away with a lot more in the day time with less flash. (Especially these days with stacking etc but that's a whole other topic.)

There are some photography places that you can hire gear from so you see what you get before you buy. Not sure on cost though.
cheers

Last edited:
There are some photography places that you can hire gear from so you see what you get before you buy. Not sure on cost though.
cheers

The hire cost for a quality gear is astronomical. From memory, Canon 400mm f2.8 lens was something like $200 / day. That's from Canon Professional Services. It's OK for sports photographers of private investigator companies that get paid and/or write it off their tax.

God damn a bit dear ey :S.....
Well i am trying to sell my motorbike to payfor this so hopefully i shall be right with the cost.

Mr Pog,

I would also start flicking through some stock photography images and trying to dissect lighting techniques... once you start looking at heaps of images you start to see how the pros set up their lighting. Once you understand that then half the time unless you need a lot of light or doing a pro shoot you would get away with ambient light as you start to look at the direction/amount of the light on the subject and start getting decent images... You can then start getting more technichal buy using one flashgun and using guide numbers and the ambient as your fill or your directional light. It will still be limited in what you can do but you make do with what you got.....

5f029192.jpg

220dd6e0.jpg

733f6889.jpg

Even with a point and shoot (as your old DSLR died)
P1020715.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the advice guys... I really do appreciate it .

i might be getting a camera today to take some shots of my herps. just wondering what the best cameras are and best deals, im getting one in harvey norman i think. i have read that the canon DSLR with macro lens are the best. can anyone reccoment the best camera for under 1000

heres one I almost deleted (i really don't like the head position)......lets see some...I almost got what I was after type shots!

7167996217_e41e95cf92_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back