Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's more wrong than right with this one but a little movement

It just looks too flat to me, perhaps because everything is in focus. I was also looking for some shadow behind the snake. Anyway, I believe you.

It just looks too flat to me, perhaps because everything is in focus. I was also looking for some shadow behind the snake. Anyway, I believe you.
I thought the same thing it looks like the rocks and snake are sitting in front of a background imo.. but i believe ya

To me (not a xspurt) it maybe from the orange tone of the sunset and then the highlighted animal from flash that give the separate look to the image,..I like it personally it looks 3dish.

it personally it looks 3dish.

I can see the opposite. 3D effect is achieved by highlights and shadows as well as limited focus in the background. I reality, if I you were looking at the snake, the background would be blurred (unregistered) unless you lift your eyes. If the pic was printed on a billboard size paper, it would work because you would have to scan around the pic to register all details, but it doesn't work on a postcard size image. Just my view.

Even a minute focus shift will give separation from the subject and the background.... modelling the lighting will increase this even more. Here's an example of flat lighting but a shallow focus shift.

(particularly at the head of the snake)

e8776a16.jpg

i might be getting a camera today to take some shots of my herps. just wondering what the best cameras are and best deals, im getting one in harvey norman i think. i have read that the canon DSLR with macro lens are the best. can anyone reccoment the best camera for under 1000

here is the one I prefer

7360554460_2ea6968993_c.jpg

eddie best deals are o/s...I use BH photovideo in the US

I am too a photographer, however people and landscapes etc are my forte...not reptiles. Working on changing that in the coming weeks now i have one of my own :) I've seen some really nice work throughout this thread :)

Me too :D

Not all photographs have to be sharp and brightly lit to be effective... What do you guys think?

This was taken with a point and shoot camera and lit with a dying LED torch... digital zoom on the camera knocking down the sharpness a heck of a lot and plenty of noise. Sometimes reptile photography can be "emotive" and not always the perfect field guide or specimen shot (I think anyway).

109b19e7.jpg

Last edited:
a couple of my shots....

Attachments

• DSC_0686.jpg
    DSC_0686.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0221.jpg
    DSC_0221.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0447 2.jpg
    DSC_0447 2.jpg