reptile pits and cats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
Hi
this a question mainly directed at people who keep some of their lizards in outdoor enclosures or anyone elso with an oppinion so in that case everyone.
I was thinking of constructing an ourdoor enclosure for some lizards possibly blue tongues and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with cats or possums trying to get at their animals.
I was hoping to not have to construct a cover for the pit as this would add to the cost and work involved espectially because of the size of the enclosure (i was thinking about 2m by 2m).
If it is nececary to cover the enclosure what would be the recomended way to do this?

When building an outside pit you should build the walls high enough to deter feral and domesticated animals from getting in.However depending on area you live birds such as kookaburras etc may also be a problem.If you decide to add a security cage above the pit you could use wire mesh (as used for mice cages etc) or shade cloth (as used on green houses etc)

Hi,
At TWP, we just have a lid cut to size, kind of like when you put a reptile in an aquarium, all it is really is strong mesh. I am not sure how much it would cost, but it wouldnt be too much.

Bloody cats!
They are definitely a problem and a little extra spent on a cover will save future heart ache.
The pres of our herp club has a huge divided pit. His cover is simply a material netting (nylon I think). It has a metal frame but it may be a cheaper option for you to consider.

Yeah, thats what the park uses for it's frillies as well, it is also more maunuverable, you can adjust so that you can fit trees and stuff in, with wire it is a lot harder

I will be building an outside enclosure as soon as I get the time which will be about the same size you are building. I intend to put a large lemon tree trunk in the centre which stands about 7 foot tall, (I recently chopped this tree down to make way for a new shed). Once this trunk is set in the ground I intend to use it to support a shadecloth, (low UV blocking variety), structure to protect from other animals unwanted attention.

thanks for all the advice guys.
I think when I get around to it I would prefer to use some sort of shade cloth or netting as opposed to wire from the point of view that it would be easier to work with.
African: thats a great idea about using a tree stump to hold up the cloth, functional and asthetically pleasing.
Got to go now, just off to the national park with my chainsaw, be back soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoot the cats, possums won't be a problem, they eat fruit and leaves and stuff. :D

Maggie,

Don't hold back tell us how you really feel about cats :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

now that you say that magpie I would not be worried about a pussum trying to eat my lizards.
Are possums totaly vegetarian?
Although personally i dont like cats I dont think I could ever pull a gun on one. well maybe a water pistol.
I even have trouble bringing myself to kill a cockroach. Thats why I just throw it to the lizards and turn my back when the crunching starts. :lol:

Whaa Posted: 24 Jun 2003 05:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now that you say that magpie I would not be worried about a pussum trying to eat my lizards.
Are possums totaly vegetarian?

Totally is a strong word. No, they will eat some animal protein, bugs 'n stuff mostly but won't eat your lizards.

Although personally i dont like cats I dont think I could ever pull a gun on one. well maybe a water pistol.
I even have trouble bringing myself to kill a cockroach. Thats why I just throw it to the lizards and turn my back when the crunching starts.

I'd rather kill a cat than a cockroach. I've never seen a cockie maul a native animal for the hell of it... :twisted:

Dont blame the cats, blame the cat owners.

Whaa in SA and parts of VIC there have been studies showing brushtails eating baby birds, and in NZ they also eat endangered parrot species! Not that I have heard of them ever eating lizards, but I thought that was interesting anyway.

Magpie I have seen a cockie maul a native animal, cockatoo that is :)

I agree with pinkie in that cats only do what comes naturally to them. It is largely the responsibility of the owner not just the cats themselves.

Take for example me. I am a very responsible goldfish owner. I never let my goldfish off the lead in the local stream because he could start eating all the native species of algae that grow there. Now if only other goldfish owners took this sort of responsibility more seriously just think of the wonderful world we would live in. 8) 8)

i keep a blue tounge in an outside enclosure aboure 3m-3m but just to make sure stupid animals like cats and foxes dont get to him i made a wire covering to fit on top of it. Personally i would shoot a cat anyday :twisted: [/i][/b]

how is this wire supported?
is it just rested over the top or is it held down in any way?

I do blame the owners, it's just that I'm not allowed to shoot them :twisted: :twisted: We also get heaps of ferals here, the street drains are full of them.
I have heard of the possums eating the baby birds before but thought the problem in NZ was more one of them killing the birds for territory??
Yeah ackie foxes could be a problem too, especially up my way, we get quite a few in town up here. :(
Good to hear that you keep the goldie on it's lead Whaa. :? Just watch that it doesn't get into any fights with the other fish, they can be pretty brutal. There was a case recently of a guy who ws drowned trying to break up a goldfish fight. :roll:

Where I live (chatswood) foxes are not a problem and there are not really any felral cats in the neighbourhood that I know of.
We have two dogs so we dont really get too many cats but the dogs are inside quite a bit and they sleep inside. (our dogs are treated like queens)
Thats the time when I'd be worried about the lizards because our dogs are very much indoor dogs.

Ive got an bird aviry with half sand stuff that they can dig in and half planted with a pond with water plants in it and grass and spinach growing around it and a flowering vine thing over the wire part of the aviry that brings alot of insects into the cage and big gum tree things set up for aboreal lizards and stuff in the cage on the floor for ground dwelling lizards. Iwanna get some other lizard species in the cage at the moment i got 3 beardies in it one is about 18cm and the others are just about adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back