Reptile Sales In Shops In NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryhubaberry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This really annoy me, so i'd though i'd post and see how many people this annoys to.

Why is it not legal to sell reptiles through pet stores in NSW. I mean, there are private breeders out there, but it is hard to find the right reptiles your looking for. If reptile could be sold in pet stores in NSW, it would be so much easier.

Any thoughts people?

Yeh but it would be much more expensive to purchase a reptile in a pet shop, I would just stick with the private breeders JMO…………

Sure finding certain reptiles would be easier for those not willing to look hard enough; but pet stores are notorious for distributing the wrong information out. Not only that, but their prices are generally something to be laughed at. I'll stick to private breeders with ongoing after sales help anyday thanks!

Well coming to Newcastle from Victoria where I could walk to any of a number of pat shop and buy a reptile was great and most of the shop owners knew what they where talking about.
Like Amazing Amazon sold gts- But have never seen or heard of one in NSW.
You could get your reptile from the shop and if there was anything wrong or you had a question about the reptile you could just go back to the shop.
Can't always do that here.
Every person on APS and NSW should make a protest. Letters or we all meet at the steps of the NSW Gov

You have to be VERY careful to buy from any petshop as far as I am concerned. JMO
In our experience people who have bought reptiles from us have a lot of ongoing questions that they would like to be answered....who in a pet shop will give you that back up service or will actually know anything about most of the reptiles, you are much better buying from a breeder who has known the animal from day one, you just have to make sure that you buy from a reputable breeder???

EXACTLY king, thats what we need here, reptile stores in NSW where u can buy, chat, ask for help, or even just the casual browse for the curious eye.

The NSW government need to set the sights straight, and change the laws to allow NSW reptile stores.

Everyone who is in NSW so fare has said "You have to be VERY careful to buy from any petshop as far as I am concerned" Where they don't have a shop that is selling reptiles (what the)

Well dont pet stores breed there own reptiles too sell, so they would know the reptile from hatching

Auz, people do travel and when herpers travel they look at other pet stores, and no, most buy them from breeders

So in NSW I am to say "You have to be VERY careful to buy from any breeders as far as I am concerned" We both know that both can lead you a stray

Any way given QLD shops have only been able to sell reptiles from shops in the last year. There still got a lot to learn - but in Vic they have been selling reptiles for same time and all the ones I got to know would buy there reptile from guess where Breeders so no one would lose out.

So your saying that you would also be annoyed if you lived in another state where they do sell reptile in stores?

What do you mean 'what the' about being VERY careful..............you can go on pet shops history of selling birds, cats and dogs etc.........................there is no way I would buy them from a pet shop....and I don't care what anyone says....reptiles are much more fragile to look after!!!!!!

How many dogs and cats get stress related diseases....and stop eating??????????

How many puppies and kittens will stop eating from over-handling??? Stress out because of wrong temps?????
I am not saying ALL pet shops are bad...but a lot only think of the almighty dollar and not the animals welfare!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in SA and we have specific reptile shops. This is where I bought my python from (Reptile City at Christies beach) and you couldn't ask for better service. I bought my python 18 months ago and rang up only last week for some advice and they were only too happy to help. I think it migh be a case of some of you are hapy with the current situation in NSW and therefore don't think a change is needed. Just because you can buy a snake from a pet shop doesn't mean you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back