Reptile Sales In Shops In NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way given QLD shops have only been able to sell reptiles from shops in the last year. There still got a lot to learn - but in Vic they have been selling reptiles for same time and all the ones I got to know would buy there reptile from guess where Breeders so no one would lose out.

What do you mean 'what the' about being VERY careful..............you can go on pet shops history of selling birds, cats and dogs etc.........................there is no way I would buy them from a pet shop....and I don't care what anyone says....reptiles are much more fragile to look after!!!!!!

How many dogs and cats get stress related diseases....and stop eating??????????

And this doesn't happen with some breeders?
There is good and bad in any part of this and all i'm saying is we should have a choice.
Or should we just sit here like little kids and be told to do what the NSW Government tells us to do.

I just think it's annoying that we have a restriction that provents us from becoming "commercial" breeders.where pretty much every where else you can

after reading about the conditions reptiles are kept in in american shops, i'm glad i dint have to see that here. bad food, no UV, no heat, bad substrate, and ya know when u see a dead fish in teh fish tank in a pet shop, well, some of them have dead beardies just lying there, or some getting eaten by their siblings cos theyre so hungry.
i'm so glad i'm not confronted by stuff like that when i go to a petshop, i'd be the busiest person in the world trying to get places shut down,..!!!

i'm not saying it would be like that here, but it sounds horrible how theyre mistreated in petshops over there!!!

And this doesn't happen with some breeders?
There is good and bad in any part of this and all i'm saying is we should have a choice.
Or should we just sit here like little kids and be told to do what the NSW Government tells us to do.

And did I not say ' Make sure you buy from a reputable breeder' !!!!!!

after reading about the conditions reptiles are kept in in american shops, i'm glad i dint have to see that here. bad food, no UV, no heat, bad substrate, and ya know when u see a dead fish in teh fish tank in a pet shop, well, some of them have dead beardies just lying there, or some getting eaten by their siblings cos theyre so hungry

Thats horrific!!!

since i have started working in my mates shop which sell reptiles iv told them to upgrade all the enclosure's so recently i have been putting in UVB/UVA lights in for all the reptiles cleaning there enclosures more often then what they did and giving all the lizards a mixed diet aswell as snakes shop we care alot about or reptiles in our shop i have told them to bring prices down and we have had alot of reptiles sold within a couple of weeks of reciveing them so not all pet shops are bad

but thats coz they got a herper working there now, most dont

So ok 1 we shut down all pet shops and only buy from reputable breeder' !!!!!!
How many people know a reputable breeder' !!!!!!
Why can we also buy from a reputable shop? !!!!!!

also, having them in petshops promotes impulse shopping without doing the research first,..i'd much rather people have to research stuff and track down an appropriate breeder themselves, theres nothing more exciting than counting down the days to when u get to pick up ur new pet having made susre everythign is ready fro it!!!

Pet shops will eventually be allowed to sell reptiles in Petshops here in NSW, but the consultative committtee and NSW NPWS want to make sure that all the mistakes made by other states are not repeated and that the welfare of the animals can be the No.1 priority over the profit.

This may mean that only certain species are allowed to be sold, like QLD and certain cage display requirements, size, UV etc...
Until it has all been worked out to everyones satisfaction it won't get signed off, that coupled with elections etc means realistically I reckon it will be at least 2-3 years before the minister signs off on it.

So, no amount of protesting or petitions will make any difference, it will happen, they will allow it to happen, theres just alot of red tape to get through until it does.

but thats coz they got a herper working there now, most dont

Funny thing so did all the Victorian shops because you need to know what your selling to keep up with the next shop - but hay that will never be aload to happen in NSW i guess.

nook171 - do you get a lot of ppl coming in asking how to look after reptiles that are wild caught, eg, beardies? There are soooo many ppl where I come from that just go out and catch hatchling beardies, carpets etc - it's a real problem.

I was in a pet shop last week and over heard the guy telling a lady that she needs to put one teaspoon of "baking soda " in her aquarium to raise the ph levels ..not sure what that will do to your fish ....but i do know the advice is wrong .
And this happens all the time with young , inexperienced people working in pet shops .
( i worked in an aquarium for 5 years and heard some shocking stories about advice given in other shops )
If they are sold i think reptile only shops , not common "pet" shops should be allowed , that way you may have more chance of the people working or who own the shop being more informed as they only sell reptiles .

As I said from the start - if you can;t be bothered in nsw to find a reputable breeder and do your research, you shouldn't be getting reptiles at all. Pet stores for the most part are just businesses trying to make profit. No matter how friendly they claim to be , most give out the wrong advice or give out advice that panders to you buying their products.

Wouldnt the consumer/hopeful herp owner to be want to be treated with quality aftersales service, knowing that their chosen herp has not been contaminated by a plethora of variables that you would encounter in the less than ideal conditions of a pet store?

Thats not to say the stores in Vic or SA or even QLD are by and by shonky - I'm sure they're probably run quite well (some on the other hand...But then again the same can be said for anywhere) - but there is an undeniable pattern in the conditions and so on of NSW pet stores, and I'm not talking about the happy ambience.

I would firmly vote NO on reptiles to being sold in pet stores. Were that to happen, any joe bloggs off the street (presumably with a license though I'm betting some pet stores would turn a blind eye (one store in particular recently tried to sell me firebellied newts and corn snakes under the counter) just to make a quick buck.

And then all of a sudden we have a boom of people buying these snakes, being spoon fed misinformation, then piling into this site screaming WHY ISNT MY SNAKE EATING, or even worse, people that just buy these pretty animals at the store, without doing any research into them whatsoever, and creating monsterous hybrid abominations.

Anyone else feel like standing on my soapbox? I'll make room...

Last edited by a moderator:
nook171 - do you get a lot of ppl coming in asking how to look after reptiles that are wild caught, eg, beardies? There are soooo many ppl where I come from that just go out and catch hatchling beardies, carpets etc - it's a real problem.

we get heaps of people we had a guy bring in a 7ft carpet asking if we would buy it off him but we done a tally one week and we had 27 people saying they had caught and kept the reptiles:x

The only way i think it could work is if there was an accreditationn system setup were a pet shop could sell reps as long as they passed certain criteria . M aybe have some sort of course they could do to get a reptile trade licence then have a condition that NPWS can do spot checks at any time unnanounced and if there are any issues bye bye rep trade licence.I would be more than happy to see us join the other states that allow it . As Auzlizardking says bad shops wont last long as im sure we'd all be on here telling everyone if we came across anything untoward.Why can i by a native bird from a shop but not a reptile? As long as the person purchasing is licensed the shop meets its criteria i9 cant see any reason that it cant be properly enforced.

I was in a pet shop last week and over heard the guy telling a lady that she needs to put one teaspoon of "baking soda " in her aquarium to raise the ph levels ..not sure what that will do to your fish ....but i do know the advice is wrong .
And this happens all the time with young , inexperienced people working in pet shops .
( i worked in an aquarium for 5 years and heard some shocking stories about advice given in other shops )
If they are sold i think reptile only shops , not common "pet" shops should be allowed , that way you may have more chance of the people working or who own the shop being more informed as they only sell reptiles .

we tell people to put such an such in to stop amonia and to lower the ph levels but never herd of baking soda to raise the ph thats stupid

The only way i think it could work is if there was an accreditationn system setup were a pet shop could sell reps as long as they passed certain criteria . M aybe have some sort of course they could do to get a reptile trade licence then have a condition that NPWS can do spot checks at any time unnanounced and if there are any issues bye bye rep trade licence.I would be more than happy to see us join the other states that allow it . As Auzlizardking says bad shops wont last long as im sure we'd all be on here telling everyone if we came across anything untoward.Why can i by a native bird from a shop but not a reptile? As long as the person purchasing is licensed the shop meets its criteria i9 cant see any reason that it cant be properly enforced.

the guys who own the shop tony/martin had to do courses ect ect to be able to sell reps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back