Reptile Sales In Shops In NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For All You Who Reckon You Know

I have seen this sort of debate before. You all say pet shops are bad there so bloody bad. Quit your bloody winging and open one where you supply that service that is so good and exceptional same as a private breeder. There has been people who have had bad dealings with private people to. Get over it. If you did your research properly spent the time to look around and really research, then you would find maybe not in NSW but in other states there are pet shops that actually do supply you with that after sales help and ongoing support, ready to answer all your questions. I know of a pet shop that gives out an A/H number so if you have any questions you can call them. Why do you say Auzlizardking that QLD shops have a lot to learn, yeah they maybe only have been able to sell reptiles through the shop for a while but doesn't mean they have only had any interest or knowledge on them for the same amount of time. And as for pricing you all winge. I saw spotted pythons advertised in a pet shop for $195 the other day. Correct me if I am Wrong and I sure as hell don't think I am, But 95% of spotteds I see advertised on the various forums on the net including this website, have them advertised for $200. May only be a 5 dollar difference but still is actually cheaper, cimbine that with the shop that is willing to help with any after sales questions, etc, then I would have to say, You obviously have a better deal buying from a pet shop.
I agree it is not always so, not all pet shops are helpful and reasonably priced, but they are only giving the good ones a bad name, and people who complain about these pet shops who are bad then wreck it for the ones that don't do the wrong thing. Don't make a general assumption if you or a friend have had a bad experience wiht a pet shop name the bloody shop don't just go and say Shops in general.
Would be a lot nicer that way, and that way people could make up there own mind with the junk that so many people speak. Don't mean to get up anybodies nose, but JMO

Cheers

Not tryin to convert anyone, just wish people would bad mouth the shops they have had bad dealings wiht not all shops as not all shops are bad. People with shops have to feed their families to you know.

Cheers

So what is a ad on sale with a snake?

This fantastic heat rock that provides heat which they need dispite that they often burn animals, these mice that may or may not have worms or been killed humanely, this ridiculous water dish that you don't need but they have too much stock off, this vitamin powder stuff which the label says you need to get them to eat lots of, this budgie that you'll need to kill later to vary its diet, ofcourse this additional tank aswell to feed it in, and oh dont forget these books about herps that have been printed in the states about exotic reptiles so you know what you're doing.. and hey why you're at it why don't you just buy a fantastic new enclosure for your pet from us considering its all oh-so-conveniant for you all in one store!!

I am NOT saying that all pet shops are like this and that ALL breeders know what they are doing and aren't in it for the profit... I'm trying to show that IMO more often than not petshops don't gaf about learning about the necessary things or simply don't have the time or resources to research and know what they are selling.
Keeping animals in overcrowded cages with hardly enough room to excersise doesn't install a sense of confidence in myself that they are going to learn and provide all the necessary needs for reptiles.
And don't even get me started on buying from backyard breeders just to keep their supply of animals up...
dragons75 said:
And theres no breeders about chasing dollars ?
Read above reply.

Again why shop at Woolies - why not buy from the grower how loves growing his veggies and so on so on
It's the covenants

Oh for goodness sake! That is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.
We are not talking about the convenience of buying something that is dead. We're talking about living, breathing creatures!

Whats even more ludicrous is that Kellyville pets already DOES allow you to purcahse reptiles, though only after participating a "How to keep" 1 hour class or something. Then a few animals (direct from breeders) are available to be purchased. This isn't the stupid part though, the really sad part is that Kellyville Pets labels certain snakes in an interesting fashion. For example: "Psuedo Jungles" and "Honey Jungles"....

So does "My Best Friend" at St Mary's. The courses are run by a member of this site. It is his descriptions "Psuedo Jungles" and "Honey Jungles" that are being used.

IsK

So does "My Best Friend" at St Mary's. The courses are run by a member of this site. It is his descriptions "Psuedo Jungles" and "Honey Jungles" that are being used.

IsK
You do not have to do the course to purchase the reptile you just pick up on the SAt after every one is finished. I am doing the course on the 25th. It is $70 for about 3 hours. Yes the names are bloody ridiculus

Not tryin to convert anyone, just wish people would bad mouth the shops they have had bad dealings wiht not all shops as not all shops are bad. People with shops have to feed their families to you know.

Cheers

are you a pet shop owner???
i hear violins! :p

i work in a pet shop and have asked this myself before. the answr i got was that because in nsw indivuals are licensed to keep reptiles every single person who worked there and in theroy would be caring for them would have to be licensed. i think there are also laws against commerical breeding and selling in nsw.
at one point we were just looking at having a shop reptil of some descrption and we couldn't even do that.

oh and also yes animals in pet shops are more expensive but keep in mind we don't breed the animals ourselves. we pay what everyone else would pay for them we then take the risk that they have some kind of defect we pay for all they're vet work and the customer walk away with a garentee that the animal they've purchased is 100% and legal areegment that if they're not they can get compension or return.
sorry the pet shops charge too much thing really annoys me, we're a shop we have to make a profit on top of everything.

A good breeder will also give you a health guarantee...and in the case of most dogs that health guarantee covers genetic problems for life...

...and we all understand pet shops are out to make a profit, but common sense should tell you that customers are out to not get ripped off...

A good breeder will also give you a health guarantee...and in the case of most dogs that health guarantee covers genetic problems for life...

...and we all understand pet shops are out to make a profit, but common sense should tell you that customers are out to not get ripped off...

So why do so many get sucked in on pet link ?

...the same reason pet stores still manage to sell animals...some people do no research and don't care where there animal comes from...

re Reptiles

Cheers
Worry about your own state,dont need petshops selling in NSW,the states too big for the job of policing by the NPWS,better for people to buy at expos and society days that allow selling like the one planned for this sunday by Macarther Herp Society.They have had permission granted to sell by the NPWS,thats a very good thing,dare i say an extremely positive thing by parks and wildlife and the society,peop-le can come along and look and buy those that are for sale by showing their license.The concept is a step forward in the right direction for sure by the most proggressive herp society in australia.

After thinking about it - I have decided No Shops in Nsw should sell reptiles - But I feel places like Gosford reptile park should- One it would help keep a great park open and you would be getting a reptile from people who care about the animals.
And I sell enclosures to people cheaper then what they can from the shops - so I understand people objections on shop prices. And yes I sell to shops as well.
There are some really great shops in Melbourne and some really bad shops that should be closed down and also some here in NSW that need to be closed down - anyone been to Cardiff would know who im talking about.

are you a pet shop owner???
i hear violins! :p

You know what you can do with your violin, And no I don't own a pet shop I know people that do. Like I have stated before I am not saying all pet shops should be allowed to sell reptiles but there are some that should and who do look after there reptiles and give the right advice.

Yeah they are out to make a profit and different pet shops have different mark ups on their animals, not all of them are out to rip their customers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back