Reptile Sales In Shops In NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This really annoy me, so i'd though i'd post and see how many people this annoys to.

Why is it not legal to sell reptiles through pet stores in NSW. I mean, there are private breeders out there, but it is hard to find the right reptiles your looking for. If reptile could be sold in pet stores in NSW, it would be so much easier.

Any thoughts people?

Looks like you started a good one here.

Worry about your own state hey Zulu :shock:
I thought this site was called Aussie Pythons and snakes, not NSW pythons and Snakes ;)

After thinking about it - I have decided No Shops in Nsw should sell reptiles - But I feel places like Gosford reptile park should

The Reptile Park would have a very hard time being able to sell reptiles to the public, considering they are a Federally approved Quarantine premise.

That's why the Snake Ranch is a separate entity.

:p

Hix

re Reptile

Worry about your own state hey Zulu :shock:
I thought this site was called Aussie Pythons and snakes, not NSW pythons and Snakes ;)
Theres no democracy round here LOL go play with your toads!

After thinking about it - I have decided No Shops in Nsw should sell reptiles - But I feel places like Gosford reptile park should- One it would help keep a great park open and you would be getting a reptile from people who care about the animals.
And I sell enclosures to people cheaper then what they can from the shops - so I understand people objections on shop prices. And yes I sell to shops as well.
There are some really great shops in Melbourne and some really bad shops that should be closed down and also some here in NSW that need to be closed down - anyone been to Cardiff would know who im talking about.

Well, what a turn a round???

We tell all the people who buy beardies off us NOT to feed them mealworms until they are adults.....they go to the pet shop ('cause they think what the pet shop tells them is kosher) the pet shop tells them...oh you can feed them mealworms (just for a sale).....bingo one dead or very close to dying hatchling beardie!! Yeah...they know what they are talking about!!

For it to work successfully (ie Pet shops selling repts in NSW), they would need to be solely orientated around reptiles- a specialty shop. But even still with this said any old joe could set one up with no idea of the products they were selling nor idea of the hobby itself, there would still be alot of doubt, sales pitching, mis information and so on.

It would take, someone in the hobby, with a fair bit of experience in a vast range of species to successfully accomplish this i feel.

JMO

I never have and never will buy any animal from a pet shop.

And thats probably the safest thing to do Bryony.

Going straight to the breeders has far to many advantages. You get first hand advice from someone in the know (most of the time), and IMO this is something pet shops will never rise to.

There are some really great shops in Melbourne and some really bad shops that should be closed down and also some here in NSW that need to be closed down - anyone been to Cardiff would know who im talking about.

That shop is horride and defently needs to be shut down my sister reported it but nothing has happened i mean i walked in there and there was goat crap all over the floor dogs running free birds every were i even seen a dead rat in the dam fish filter?.

Paying import/export license fees, organizing & paying freight, getting to the freight drop off point on a certain day is a real hasstle especially if you don't live near the designated airports in regional NSW when you buy interstate. You can't always buy what you want locally. I'm sure selling in pet shops would overcome a lot of acquisition problems.

re Reptile

Paying import/export license fees, organizing & paying freight, getting to the freight drop off point on a certain day is a real hasstle especially if you don't live near the designated airports in regional NSW when you buy interstate. You can't always buy what you want locally. I'm sure selling in pet shops would overcome a lot of acquisition problems.
Its very easy for the average person in sydney,wollongong,central coast to get the type of species such as beardys,bluetongues,carpets,childrens pythons etc that would be sold in petshops,unless they live in woop woop where they wouldnt have a pet shop anyway.Its good for the average person to go to a herp meeting or do a little searching on the internet,with the more common species there is mostly a breeder nearby.

petshops

I reckon you should be allowed to sell them in shops. I have brought animals when I first started and had problems and the BREEDER would not help at all and told me i was on my own . When i purchased my first bh and had trouble getting it feeding i rang the breeder for advise and he said it will be fine for 16 weeks without food ha ha it died .
I now go to a reptile shop in liverpool and they have been more then helpful. they have not claimed to know it all but they have gone out of there way to help not like the breeders i have dealt with.
so i reckon that petshops should be allowed anyway if there is a problem you still will have the same legal rights if it was a dog or cat. The department of fair trading didn't care when i approached then about my bh and told me they couldn't do a thing. so i say yes to petshops I don't thing that prices will drop I think everyone would be happy

I reckon you should be allowed to sell them in shops. I have brought animals when I first started and had problems and the BREEDER would not help at all and told me i was on my own . When i purchased my first bh and had trouble getting it feeding i rang the breeder for advise and he said it will be fine for 16 weeks without food ha ha it died .
I now go to a reptile shop in liverpool and they have been more then helpful. they have not claimed to know it all but they have gone out of there way to help not like the breeders i have dealt with.
so i reckon that petshops should be allowed anyway if there is a problem you still will have the same legal rights if it was a dog or cat. The department of fair trading didn't care when i approached then about my bh and told me they couldn't do a thing. so i say yes to petshops I don't thing that prices will drop I think everyone would be happy

wow, that must have been the worlds worst breeder!
i rang Roy Pails @ least 5 times when i got Loki,...not for a problem with the snake, but to get advice on finding him after he escaped his tank the first night. he was such a nice concerned and helpful guy and didnt make me feel stupid or try to get me off the fone or anything, he even asked me to call back and let him know when i found him. :)

I think you'll find overall it will depend on the individual breeder/petshop.

After reading some of the horror stories posted on this site about the condition reptiles are kept in pet stores I'm quite happy for things to stay the way they are.

i Spoke to roy pails in melb and brought some things from him too he is great but the breeders i refer to are here in nsw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back