Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer

Reaction score
Now I have confirmation that it will be happening, I can let you all in on our news.
In the next 3/4 months, Hubby and I will be opening a Reptile specialty Store. Our friends run a pet shop here and have offered us space and help in running ours. It will be Reptiles only. Pets. Supplies and Giftwares.
Both hubby and I have been reading up on reptiles and learning as much as we can and I might add, this site has been a fantastic source of information.
What we want is to cater solely to reptile owners. The plan is to have everything in stock, all the time. This includes all the lighting needs, substrates, anything you can think of, including food which we are hoping to breed ourselves if the council passes our application.
Just today I had talks with a copy shop to create our own line of reptilian giftwares. Tshirts, Mugs, mousepads and the like.
*Still want that quote though Agamidae*
We are interested in buying livestock from breeders and keep our prices down below normal pet shops. We will stock Childrens, Stimpsons and Spotted Pythons, Beardies, Blue Tongues and various skinks, and Turtles.
What I'd like from all of you, is what would you expect from a Specialty Reptile Store? We want this to benefit the Herping community so who better to ask than all of you.
The store will be located in Redbank Plains, Ipswich.

[email protected]

Are you talking about Prestige Pets? What I look for is the space and quality of the herp enclosures, It you have any of the Reptiles Australia magazine, look at Canberra Exotic's review in issue 5. That is how I think reptiles should be kept.

Yep, Prestige Pets. The vet up the road is building us a building out behind him. They will be on one side, we'll be on the other. Enclosures will be a big part of the store. I looked in two newsagents for that mag today after it was mentioned in another post but nobody had it.

I could try and scan the two pages of the article or some of the pics from it if you like.

Oh, and the newsagent at Redbank Plaza usually gets in Reptiles Australia, as does the one at Booval Fair.

congrats on the shop and hope it goes well, i will say one thing make sure you clean all feaces and shed skins as soon as they happen as they make the enclosure look crappy. make sure you have locked enclosures as people will steal reptiles. and make sure you stock animals that are good handlers as bitey snakes can deter first time owners.

congrats on the shop and hope it goes well, i will say one thing make sure you clean all feaces and shed skins as soon as they happen as they make the enclosure look crappy. make sure you have locked enclosures as people will steal reptiles. and make sure you stock animals that are good handlers as bitey snakes can deter first time owners.
mate that sensational why don't you open your own shop!!
No really thats a good point have some animals that are good handlers that first timers can get used to the feel and the movement of the reptiles, will help them when they get the snake home as they will feel more confident.

Thanks Ricko. That's one thing we talked about. How dirty some pet shops can be. Since we won't have any birds and the like, the place will be carpeted, comfortable and kept spotless. I've been to a few pet shops of late and the smell and mess is a big turn off.
We were thinking of purchasing hatchlings and keeping them here with us until we know they handle well and feed well. I still haven't had any feedback from breeders as yet.

thats ok, yeah if u get them first and handle them and get various sizes of all the species you are going to keep people will know what they are getting themselves into when it gets bigger also. farmcat i have worked in numerous pet shops and have tried to portray what i just said but its hard when the owners are $$$$$ driven.

give time with the breeder as they would be fairly busy this time of the year with people buying and looking after their animals

bigger also. farmcat i have worked in numerous pet shops and have tried to portray what i just said but its hard when the owners are $$$$$ driven
I agree people can dollar crazy, I was at a shop a few weeks ago and urinated myself laughting and also felt sorry for this bloke, he was getting his son and himself thier first snake and neither had touch a snake and the bloke asked if they had a bigger snake as they were getting a yearling to handle one just to get a good feel of handling one and the shop guy looks at him and didn't wanna help the guy eventually another person got a snake out for them to handle, but the poor buyer I felt like breaking a cage open and getting one out for them to handle.

Go and have a look at 'Better Buys Pets and Accessories' at Bundamba, after wards I can give you the number of a lady who can help shut them down. That place is filthy and cruel.

LOL farmdog, when we bought our Stimmies from a local pet shop, the guy pulled out a hook and was still shaking like a leaf. In the end, Hubby just put his hand in and picked them up. I think a bit of confidence with the animals they are selling goes a long way. If a first time reptile buyer saw that, they'd probably change their minds.

Dicco, pm or email me the details of that lady, I've been there, I've seen it and know a few other things about that bloody place.

yeah thats were I think that having a snake that can be handled by a novice when in the shop to get thier confidence up, I didn;t get that luxury and still have trouble with handling my placid boy, I am pretty timid about handling so thats my point is a chance to handle while in the shop and the question read up and get as much infomation as people will as some silly question so I guess be prepared and know what to answer to their questions

To me, the bottom line of ANY business is KNOW what you sell. Too many people start businesses too soon, they would be much better off and more successful if they just learnt their "product" inside out before trying to market it. JMO

To me, the bottom line of ANY business is KNOW what you sell. Too many people start businesses too soon, they would be much better off and more successful if they just learnt their "product" inside out before trying to market it. JMO
your right that living jungle hole had these bizarre looking bredli and they were trying to tell me it was a hypo I thought damn are you dumb

Thats what we're doing now. We've only had our own reptiles for about a year now and we learn every day. It's the reason i joined this site. I've read books and websites but they end up contradicting each other so I figured, best way to learn is ask the experienced people. Which is you lot, lol. I've learnt more here than reading the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back