Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko75

Banned
Reaction score
Just thought I would post a few herping pics, don't want to leave anyone out that doesn't use the other forums. you now know who I am if you already didn't, enjoy. these are the species I have managed to photograph.

Agamidae
Amphibolurus muricatus Jacky Lizard
These lizards are very common here on the Mid North coast, I often encounter them basking on stumps and dead trees, this one pictured was found under a few boards of asbestos, it was a very young animal and tiny, I mostly come accross adults of this species.
PC290003.jpg

Hypsilurus spinipes Southern Angle-headed Dragon
This dragon is relitivly common in the right habitat, they like littoral rainforest and wet scleropyll forest, I have only encounted them at 3 locations, they camoflage very well on trees, I have seen them about a metre off the ground on the trunks of small thin trees, though I have also seen them on the road basking.
P2210059.jpg

Pogona barbata Bearded Dragon
On the mid north coast this lizard is very common, it puffs out its throat in defence, I do not often see them in my immidiate area this was one of the only ones I have found, it was spotted basking on a log next to a fence post, when spotted it moved around to the other side of the log out of site.
PC220088-1.jpg

Boidae
Morelia spilota Carpet & Diamond Pythons
I do not often find these pythons, but one night I was lucky enough to see 3 crossing dirt roads in a nice patch of rainforest, I have seen a few of these snakes in our shed at home, where they curl up in all the firewood. they can grow up to 3 metres, though the largest I have seen have been around 2 metres.
PB280041.jpg

Elapidae
Cacophis krefftii Southern Dwarf Crowned Snake
This snake is very small and I do not encounter them very often, probably due to there size, they are stricly nocturnal and I have seen them on the roads on hot nights and also while walking in the bush on foot. the largest I have seen of these snakes was about a foot. these snakes are harmless and don't attempt to bite.
P2200028.jpg

Cacophis squamulosus Golden-crowned Snake
These snakes are often seen on cool nights, I have only seen about 3 of them they don't mind colder conditions, I have found them crossing roads in various habitats. they are usually around a foot and a half long. these snakes are harmless and don't attempt to bite.
P3070006.jpg

Cryptophis nigrescens Eastern Small-eyed Snake
This is by far the most common snake on the mid north coast, I see atleast 75 of these snakes a year, mostly under tin, though I see atleast 1 on night drives crossing roads, one night I found 8 of these snakes on a busy road. These snakes can grow up to around 2 foot, they are capable of inflicting a fatal bite.
P1060037-1.jpg

Demansia psammophis Yellow-faced Whip Snake
These snakes are diurnal and very fast, I often find them under tin in coastal heathland, I have also seen them active though most of the time they escape. they also bite if handled, I have experienced this a number of times, it just stings a little, I have never had a bad reaction. they can grow up to around 2 and a half foot
PA070011.jpg

Hemiaspis signata Black-bellied Swamp Snake
another common snake in any swampy or forested area, I often find these under tin, though I have seen them active on warm nights, cold nights, cloudy days etc, they mainly feed on frogs so they are usually nearby to where the frogs are found. they are mildy venomous the same as a yellow faced whip snake I have been bitten a number of times, usually with little or no effects but once I had my hand swell up and my fingers and arm go kinda numb, they grow to about 2 foot.
PC300006-1.jpg

Hoplocephalus stephensii Stephens' Banded Snake
This elusive snake is a threatened species in NSW, I have been looking for them for a while with no success, I found my first one the other night on a busy road, they are dangerously venomous and could probably cause a fatality, though he wasn't really interested in biting, mostly just putting his head up in a defensive posture. these are found in heavily forested areas, by they they shelter in tree hollows, rock crevices, caves, and under bark and similar places. they are capable of inflicting a fatal bite, this guy was about 3 foot long, probably a large adult.
P1060025-2.jpg

Pseudechis porphyriacus Red-bellied Black Snake
These are a common snake, I find them often near a large swamp in some coastal heathland, I can never get pictures as they are a very shy snake and usually go into long grass or down holes before I can get pictures, but this guy was found under an old sign laying on the ground, I found him by night, was very happy with it, it was nice and docile though it did puff its throat out at times. this snake is dangerously venomous and is capable of inflicting a fatal bite, they grow up to around 2 metres.
PB200007.jpg

Tropidechis carinatus Rough-scaled Snake
These snakes are not to common in my area, I have found only one live one, it was seen crossing the road on a warm night, they have a reputuation for being aggresive though the one I found showed no signs of aggresion, they are a dangerously venomous snake and are capable of causing fatality, they can grow up to about a metre long
PB210033-1.jpg

Gekkonidae
Saltuarius moritzi Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko
These geckos are very common in heavily forested rainforest habitat, I often see them on trees by night and have also encountered them on tracks, they do not seem to mind cool nights or rain, I have seen them in various conditions.
PC210064-1.jpg

Pygopodidae
Pygopus lepidopodus Common Scaly-foot
common scaly-foots seem to be common in heathland habitat, I have seen a few live ones and a road kill in the past months, they are seen by night on the roads, but I have also seen them on a cloudy day in a late afternoon crossing a track in some swamp heathland habitat.
PC210061.jpg

Scincidae
Calyptotis ruficauda Red-tailed Calyptotis
this small rainforest skink is occasionally encountered under bits of wood and tin
PC200038-1.jpg

Ctenotus robustus Robust Ctenotus
These skinks are found in most dry areas, they are very fast and most of the time I am unable to get pictures, this one was found the other night at 12pm 100m from my house, I couldn't sleep so I decided to look for a few frogs and snakes, I found him in a hole filled with water next to the road, he wouldn't have been able to get out, I thought he was dead but when I got him out he seemed ok and slowly started walking away, I took a few pictures then let him go into some thick grass.
P1050046.jpg

Egernia major Land Mullet
these are Australias largest skink, they get a bit bigger then blue tongued skinks, I often find them next to the beach in sand dunes and also in littoral rainforest, they are rather shy and often retreat into logs and down burrows.
PC220077-1.jpg

Eulamprus quoyii Eastern Water-skink
These skinks are rather common down south and closer to the mountains, this was the closest I have seen one to the coast, he was under a fence post next to a friends dam
PB290012-1.jpg

Lampropholis delicata Dark-flecked Garden Sunskink
these are common everywhere on the mid north coast, I see them all the time in my garden.
P4160027.jpg

Saiphos equalis Three-toed Skink
these skinks are often found under tin and board, I don't think I have ever seen one active.
PA060034.jpg

Tiliqua scincoides Eastern Blue-tongue
A common well known Aussie, these are common in towns, often seen in backyards or crossing roads, I often see them in town or on the road, but not often in the bush, this was found in some burnt out coastal heathland.
P1060004.jpg

Typhlopidae
Ramphotyphlops nigrescens Blackish Blind Snake
These are very common snakes, I see them every night drive, they feed on ants eggs and if handled will musk you which absolutely stinks, I also find them under tin occasionally, they are harmless and do not bite, they are not capable of it I don't think, the largest of these I have seen have been about a foot long.
P1060042-1.jpg

Varanidae
Varanus varius Lace Monitor
these are common monitors and I see them often in various places, this was found in a car park at a patch of rainforest he climbed the palm tree and stayed there till we left.
PC210047.jpg

Frogs
Limnodynastes dumerili
Limnodynastesdumerili1.jpg

Limnodynastes peroni
Limnodynastesperoni1.jpg

Limnodynastesperoni5.jpg

Limnodynastesperoni9.jpg

Litoria barringtonensis
Litoriabarringtonensis1.jpg

Litoria caerulea
Litoriacaerulea5.jpg

Litoria chloris
PC300009.jpg

PC300012.jpg

PC300015.jpg

PC300043.jpg

Litoria fallax
Litoriafallax17.jpg

Litoriafallax13.jpg

Litoriafallax10.jpg

Litoria latopalmata
Litorialatopalmata1.jpg

Litoria peroni
Litoriaperoni4.jpg

Litoriaperoni5.jpg

Litoria revelata
Litoriarevelata2.jpg

Litoriarevelata6.jpg

Litoria tyleri
Litoriatyleri10.jpg

Litoriatyleri4.jpg

Litoriatyleri8.jpg

Mixophyes fasciolatus
Mixophyesfasciolatus2.jpg

Mixophyesfasciolatus3.jpg

PC300021.jpg

PC300022.jpg

Pseudophryne coriacea
Pseudophrynecoriacea2.jpg

Uperoleia fusca
PC300025.jpg

Thanks, "Gecko75"

This is a mega report, some pictures are old, some are recent, all were taken in the past 12 months. I will add more when I find more species I havn't seen, forgot to add a dial up warning.

Nice photo's and report Gecko75.....
Thanks Tim.

Thanks tim, one report I posted on fieldherpforum, other on frogs.org, I thought I would combine them since nobody has really seen that many of them on here.

Last edited:
Very good work. You have captured a large number of species with your camera. Amazing presentation!

thanks again womapyth, hopefully by next summer I will have a lot more pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back