request ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi77

Reaction score
Hi, I saw this skink and wonder if it is Eulamprus quoyii. Sorry, I seem to find these skinks very confusing.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• skink.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 77
Looks like either Eulamprus quoyii or Eulamprus heatwolei

Its not Eulamprus quoyii or heatwolei. It appears to be Concinnia tenuis. However without the location its difficult to say as there are a couple of similar species. Providing the location will greatly assist in giving you a correct identification.

Cheers, Cameron

Its not Eulamprus quoyii or heatwolei. It appears to be Concinnia tenuis. However without the location its difficult to say as there are a couple of similar species. Providing the location will greatly assist in giving you a correct identification.

Cheers, Cameron

Sorry, should have given it - it was found 100 km south west of Townsville, Thank you.

Cheers, Cameron

Beat it to me mate!

The locality definitely confirms it, they are fairly common in QLD

@Kiwi77. Given the location and the fact that the dark blotches on the back are arranged in two paravertebral rows, it is almost certainly the Northern Bar-sided Skink Eulamprus brachysoma.

@baker. Do you have a reference to the species split within Eulamprus? I assume it now constitutes 3 genera.

@Kiwi77. Given the location and the fact that the dark blotches on the back are arranged in two paravertebral rows, it is almost certainly the Northern Bar-sided Skink Eulamprus brachysoma.

@baker. Do you have a reference to the species split within Eulamprus? I assume it now constitutes 3 genera.

Bluetongue,

I agree but will identify it as Concinnia brachysoma instead of placing it in the genus Eulamprus.

Wilson & Swan. A complete Guide to Reptile of Australia. Fourth edition. 2013, include Concinnia brachysoma (Longburg and Anderson 1915) in the genus Eulamprus as (E brachysoma) however; Cogger. Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, Seventh edition place it (along with other members of the tenuis group) in the genus Concinnia (Wells and Wellington 1984)

I am unable to locate my copy of Wells & Wellington 1983 Synopsis at the moment but here's a link to "A molecular phylogeny of the Australian skink genera Eulamprus, Gynpetoscinsus and Nangura" D O'Connor. C moritz. 2003.

Refer to Discussion on page 324 where it suggest (and provides evidence) for allocating the tenuis group to the genus Concinnia as proposed by Wells and Wellington 1983.

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/pdf/menu2/oconnor2003.pdf

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
AROD or Wilson and Swan doesn't say Concinnia, but hell why not. Eulamprus (and allies) are already too confusing for me:lol:

Thanks for that George. It seems that most taxonomists want a little more a definitive result, despite the fact that it was touted 40 plus years ago as polyphyletic and highly divergent over 40 years ago (Cogger 1975).

Thank you everyone for this discussion on the skink's ID; I am unable to contribute in any meaningful way as I have zero knowledge in this area, so appreciate your analysis all the more. I wondered if I could ask for ID of other skink sightings as well and was told it is ok (I just don't want to be seen as spamming); so here are two of them. Any suggestions on ID please? Thank you.
Skink 1 (against brown background) was found near Tamborine NP region; Skink 2 (orange background) near Townsville. Thank you.

Attachments

• skink 1a.jpg
    skink 1a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 43
  • skink 1b.jpg
    skink 1b.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 38
  • skink 2a.jpg
    skink 2a.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 43
  • skink 2b.jpg
    skink 2b.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 31
second one looks like Carlia jarnoldae

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hazard a guess at the first one being Concinnia tenuis

No problem but I couldn't give you any definite ID's on the first skink, that's for the experts. Eulamprus/Concinnia is a pain to ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back