Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor little critter :( I don't understand why someone would purchase an animal & then leave it in that condition!

I hope you get that lump sorted it doesn't look too good...Best of luck with the little ones recovery.

Those creases where its bending its body could be a cause for concern as well. Looks like the skin is very dry.

Kudos to you for looking after this poor thing. I suppose tomorrow you can make a new post informing everyone what the vet thinks the lump is. :)

i havnt read everything here so please dont shoot me if im repeating anything but when my spotted shed the 1st few times they wernt compleate after a few days if it wasnt all gone what i would do is soak a washer in warm water then let him run through the washer while i cuped it around him repeatedly but remember to hold the washer losely so the snake CAN move through it this worked fine for me u may have to resoak the washer a few times as it cools guess this is simular to the pillow case method i read above gl with ur new friend

Ok I have just returned from the vets with fabulous news!
The lump was just a little blood blister! SHE didnt even need antibiotics or anything. I am thrilled with the result. The vet has suggested that I leave HER another week before attempting to feed HER, just to get HER used to being warm and also to get HER hydration up a bit more. SHE is still a little dehydrated but the vet said that SHE looks active bright and healthy considering all SHE has been through. I am to continue bathing once a day until she looks like she should look. (Im guessing only a couple of days considering how quickly she is recovering.
(as you may notice I am trying to get used to saying SHE when talking about HER... which is something I need to do with my Stimson python AND my Diamond LOL. I took everyone with me to find out who was what and all three are girls lol)
I will add some photo's to this thread when she is fully recovered. Thank you all so much for your help and support! :)

Thats terrific, good job, you are obviously stoked! :D

lol, i take it SHES a GIRL!! :p

great to hear such a good report!

and good idea taking them all in for a probing,..!!

As a newbie it has been fascinating following this thread and what you have done to keep this snake alive. Congrats

Hey shep, Really good to hear that she is going to be OK...... I am assuming the other person just decided that they wanted a snake but did no research into what that snake needs??? I am glad you were able to "adopt" this little girl... You sound like you are going to give her a better life... Good luck and I hope to see some pics of her in the near future... :)

thats good to hear! yeah would be good to see pics when she is fully recovered! well done. good on ya!

Good luck with it. I have two rescued snakes and had a rescued beardie, not rehoused and ALL are now in the pink of health.One keeps getting offers to buy!

Better to rescue and give a good home then string abuse on someone who does not know better. One of my rescues was from a girl who honestly didn't know how to look after herps. YEs its easy to look up, but there are a lot of lost uneducated people out there. I just save one at a time. (If I can)

Good luck with her! It's great that you could rescue her & her health issues are being sorted!

Don't worry too much about her size - my bredli was the same size when I got him as a yearling & with weekly feeding he is growing like a weed. She'll catch up soon enough ;)

Hi All, I missed a few replies here sorry.
Loonytoon - the probing cost me $10 each for my other two snakes to be done while he was seeing Paschar (The Bredli.) The whole trip cost $78 which I was quite happy with. I went to 'The Vet Lounge' in upper coomera and saw Michael, (if you research him he does seem to have a lot of expierance with reptiles, also the vet nurse breeds snakes and is full of information and advice. they were very helpful.)

to everyone else.... she is ALOT more active and clearly improving however she is still not eating. I brained a pinky (as suggested) and waved it infront of her face and she just turns her head away, doesnt even flick her tongue out. It sounds stupid but her body launguage reminded me an awful lot of my dogs when I tell him off! her head was up and she was sniffing about and then I offered the food and her head dropped flat to the ground and she turned away. Is it possible she has been so traumatised during feeding and sees it as something awful? I know from what he (previous owner) was telling me I was cringing about how he used to feed her. he said he would chop the pinky up open her mouth and shove it in! (this from someone who didnt even know how important it as to keep her on heat!) Im REALLY not keen on force feeding her at all. would love to hear some suggestions on how to tempt problem feeders to eat!
side note... she is THE sweetest girl in the world, I adore her. its fabulous to see her gaining strength and moving around more. I have left her this long to offer food in the hope that her body would be ready for it but I am also wondering if she would have gone into some sort of hibernation while she was on no heat and maybe just isnt ready to be fed again yet? unsure of how that works?

How hot are you keeping the warm end?

Maybe try bumping temps up a bit, also try a rat of similar size.

Chances are he has scared the heck out of the poor snake while feeding it, and it associates the smell of a mouse with it.

after feeding my other two I gave it one more go feeding her in her enclosure, I brained the pinky and rubbed budgie feathers on it (this was also something previously suggested) she did flick her tongue out a little bit more at it but still very quickly turned away uninterested. I have left the pinky in her enclosure next to her in the hope it might be gone when I come back from shopping. I WISH she would eat!!!

Try giving it a small rat.... Maybe the scent change might tempt it to eat... Otherwise just leave the food on an ice cream lid or something in its enclosure for an hour or so and see if she eats it then.... You may have more luck feeding her 'behind closed doors' if you get what I mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back