Rescued frog not feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debaig

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
On friday morning I was handed an adult blue mountains tree frog. It had been stomped on or dropped or something and it's tongue was sticking out of it's mouth. I spoke to a guy from WIRES who said to push the tongue back in a monitor it for a couple of days then try to feed it. I tried to feed it and it refused. Any ideas?

Just make it comfortable and keep an eye on it. Try feeding again in a day or so. Make sure it can get in and out of the water easily and try misting it with water evry couple of hours. Put ion 1 or 2 crickets and leave it for half an hour.

Do WIRES provide veterinary care? What are you trying to feed it with - it may be in shock or it may be very particular about what it eats. Has the tongue stayed in? Is it active? Perhaps try a few different food options? Mine always loved crickets but wouldn't touch anything else.

I wouldn't worry about feeding it for at least a few days if it's obviously crook, it won't be wanting food if it's traumatised. I would be more concerned with the inside of the mouth, can you check to see if there is any damage to the jaw or tongue?

Ok, from the top...
Yep it can get in and out of water easily.
WIRES will provide for a vet if necessary.
Tryng to feed med. woodies.
The tongues has stayed inside the mouth since I put it back.
It had some blood in it's mouth when I first got it, seems to have stopped bleeding now. Has some traums on the upper jas, just soft tissue by the look. Both upper and lower jaw appear intact.
The tongue looks to be in the right place, don't wanna play with it too much incase it is healing and I open it up again.
I'll try to feed cricket and woodies again tomorrow.
Thanks for the help...

debaig, give it at least a week before you try and feed it, if not longer.
My frogs regularly go weeks without food.

Thanks Magpie, I wasn't going to panic until it had gone a week or 2. Just milking ideas from the forum.

I just checked on Gene (after Gene Symmonds 'cause he has his tongue hanging out) one eye is all black - think he's probably blind in that eye from whatever the trauma was. Any idea on his chance for survival with one eye. I'm thinking not great and prabably never to be released...

Spose you don't want to hear this but I would say it's not looking good for gene. I woudnt be surprised if there is a skull fracture.
Best chance for him is to chase wires up again and they can get someone to check him over.

Just what I was thinking...his prognosis took a nose dive with the eye going which is sad...

if the eye has recently gone black that could be due to blood leaking into the eye socket which means internal bleeding which can happen slowly. i;m not a vet so i could be worng but quite a few injured frogs have been brought to my work and i've seen smilar symptoms before.
if he makes it, survival in the wild is pretty much off the cards, in captivty it is possible but he'll have lots of troule catching his food, but has the potential to adapt
i would look into that vet for the eye, jaws probably fine but skull will be the worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back