Restraining snakes to remove retained shed/medicate ect...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerCoastal

Reaction score
Last night the biggest of my coastals sloughed, and had some retained skin on the side/back of the head. It was the first time this has happened, usually i might get a tail tip retained if anything, but a first on the head, so have never had to restrain a snakes head to remove it before. After a bit of a bath to soften it up, i got her out on the floor, restrained the head and removed the skin. I think i did ok, didn't get bitten, the snake didn't appear TOO stressed out, she didn't get aggressive, but the way i did it felt really unco.

Just wondering if you could explain the way you go about restraining your snakes to remove retained slough or to medicate. Pics of how you hold/grip the head if you have some would also be helpful. And if you use a different method for different species (including vens) add it in as it could be helpful in the future or others who are unsure.
Cheers

well im not expert in this but i have done a bit of it i have never had to do it for a retained shed but i have had to get ticks off a wild dimond and EB and i like to pin the head with a snake hook not to hard because i dont wnat to hurt the snake but just enough presure to hold him down and the with my thum and index finger i place them on the side of the head and place the finger between them on the top of the head then with my other hand put most of his body under my arm to hold him in place better. im not expert as i said but thats how i have always done it and never been bitten. i would love to hear anyone else with a different way i always need to learn new things lol

well if its an elapid or big snake i heard of someone using a strech stubie cooler with a small (tight but not too tight) at the bottom and sliding the head into it so it cant bite you or anything. but if your actually wanting to get at its head and you cant just head pin with a hook or hold it cause you need both hands, i suppose a flat board and a couple belts to strap it in ??? never tried.

Cheers Eddie thats almost how i did it but she was to quick and wrapped my arm before i could restrain the rest of her body under my arm
Any one else have a way they do it?

This is how you remove retained slough from a tiger snake :lol: Those pesky tail-tips can be a real bugger! :)

Tassie.jpg

No body should be giveing advice on restraining a elapids head on a public fourm that a accident waiting to happen..

I have removed retrained eye sheds buy soaking the animal and useing masking tape and taping it "very softley' on the bit of retained skin useully retained eye skin. i have only had to you'se this method a handfull of time's but reacentley i just leave it they will eventully shed it better not to steess the hell out of the snake.

Shane

Last edited:
thats a sweet looking tiger there moose, got any pics of removing retained slough from the head :D

Shane i am not just talking about head grabbing, tubing or any other method that is used is welcomed

Last edited:
Lol moose, showoff :p

TigerCoastal if you are talking about a coastal carpet python then just do as suggested, pin the head down (don't use much force) then thumb on the left side of its head, middle finger on the right and index finger above the head. Use a rubber thimble (cheap from Officeworks and some newsagencies) to remove the shed.

Just remember to support the snakes weight also, when ever I do this I sit down so the snake is not hanging.

There is no need to pin a pythons head.
Just grab it softly but firmly, but depending on the snake you may not even need to hold it by the head to remove the skin.
With experience you will learn to control the body sooner or later.

No need to but when the retained shed is around the head area, I find it is a lot easier to just hold its head.

my woma had his shed and had a little shed still on his cheeks,he was easy to, he came up to me and decided to use my neck to get the last bit off.

the main reason that i am asking is that atm i only have a jungle that doesnt like handling, but am thinking about getting into vens in the future and would like to be able to practice some of the more "advanced" handling techniques before i start to deal with vens. I did try to remove it without pinning the snakes head, using a damp towel, friction from my clothes as well as my hands, but every time something would touch her head she would get real flighty so pinning her head was the only way to get it off.

Bathe it in water 2c higher than viv temp
while it is in the water just slide the skin off
I use a simple method with big pythons to slightly restrain the head without scaring the snake
I just tuck the head under my arm facing in whatever direction is required
eg to medicate via injection head facing to back
Medicate orally head facing to front
It lets you still have two hands free and they generally just relax nicely

Simple.
In click clack/tub with a about 10mm of water in it.
Should be gone within a hour or so, or if it's really bad as result of low humidity; leave in there over night.
That's how I've always done retained sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back