Restricted Woma's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retic

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This may be news for some and not for others, if you know already just ignore it.
As of March this year (I think) Womas have been removed from the restricted reptile list, previously only 2 womas could be kept on a recreational licence but now they are unlimited like other reptiles.
I am referring to Queensland here.
When I was told you could only have 2 one of the reasons given and I kid you not is so they couldn't be bred by holders of recreational licences !!! Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 2 just the right number for breeding, if they are of opposite sex ?
Anyway common sense has prevailed.

RE: Restricted Woma

Boa, if you had bred them though you would have had more than too which was not allowed, hence only 2 stops you breeding.

RE: Restricted Woma

Yeah I see your point, I mentioned breeding and was told that under the old system as soon as they bred you had to apply for a restricted licence even if you were to sell all the offspring.
Sorry Mick I posted the reply before seeing your post, so the answer was no, under the old system they wouldn't allow you to sell them on a recreational licence. This does seem to vary depending on who you speak to though, I was initially told it wasn't possible without the restricted licence even though it was aimed at venomous snakes and I have no interest in those.
It was only after speaking to someone else on this forum that I heard of the changes to the legislation.

Restricted Womas

Yeh,the logical thing is that they are letting you keep two and if you breed then they worry cause theyll be going to other keepers and they want to know who.You would think they would be going down the ladder in most states as they are getting bred often now.

RE: Restricted Womas

are expansa's and major skinks still restricted

I don't know to be honest, I only found out about Womas but there is somewhere on the net that tells more and I am trying to find it now.

No worries, these things don't tend to be advertised and we have to find out by accident unfortunately.

Yeah i read some of it the other day and it said restricted = venomous and crocs and endangered wildlife. The thing is broadshells were classed as endangered, eventhough they are common here. Majors the same, cause they are found in a small % of queensland. Havent seen the new endangered -vunerable list. Womas must of been taken off the list.

hi all,
i have a friend that has a pair, they asked about breeding and was told that there was no way they could breed them, they then asked about a restricted licence and again was told no, they then called brissy and was told they could get a restricted licence and be allowed to breed them, to my knowage they have got their resticted licence, but nothing was told to them that they were off the restricted list, this was about 3 months ago, i'll check with them to see the date they applyed for their restricted licence and also tell them about this post, they will be very interested in knowing they have been removed from the restricted list,
thanks boa for posting this, just goes to show why so many people never really know all the rules in keeping reptiles, i'm still trying to find out if you can x different pythons or not in qld, just that we have a coastal male and just found out he could be part jungle, he was bought as a coastal,

cheers,
steve.........

There shouldn't be any surprises in knowing how generally incompetent the DEH is at giving out the right information. We have had years of it.

Just remember that our current QLD legislation is still officially based on 1992 Cogger as its text. Classifications of rare and endangered are therefore based on what it says in that text, NOT the most recent texts. Majors haven never been classified as restricted in this state to my knowledge. Unfortunately the list is open ended. The restricted list contains those species listed (which officially means that not all elapids are restricted) plus ANY SPECIES CONSIDERED RARE AND ENDANGERED. You are most welcome to keep a pair of womas on your regular licence BUT if you intend to breed them then you are obliged to have your licence upgraded to restricted. In reality for $150 per 5 years you may as well get restricted from the beginning. There was a list put out about 5 years ago as a supplement that listed all of the restricted species but they no longer produce it.

This is exactly what I was referring to, the Woma has been removed from the restricted list and you do not require a restrcited licence to keep more than 2 anymore. I have had this confirmed with Parks and Wildlife. If it was just a matter of getting a restricted licence I would do it but to get a restricted licence you need to meet certain criteria like having 12 months experience handling venomous snakes that can be proven or various other things that I can't remember off hand.

Who did you talk to at NPWS? You will get a different answer from Ann St as you will get from a regional receptionist or an actual ranger. The only criteria for the woma being restricted is being rare and endangered in QLD which it is. This is the same criteria applied to the Golden Tail Gecko, Pale headed snake and Yakka skink. Neither of these appears on any list but they are both RESTRICTED species based on this criteria alone. The whole thing has more grey areas than black and white. I certainly would not be buying a woma as a non restricted species without talking to somebody such as Veran Hansen first. He seems to be about the only one who actually understands it and it was he who compiled the list of restricted species because he was confused as well. Maybe he can still provide a copy of that list. As for the criteria to obtain the licence they are all subject to ranger decision because the range of species is too broade.g I have a restricted licence for endangered geckoes and pygopods but I have never kept an elapid. This question was never asked. Sure you are unlikely to get a restricted licence granted on day one but 12 months of any keeping experience is considered by our local officer (Sunshine Coast) to be enough.

I was told by a ranger who checked while I was there and was told they are no longer restricted. He gave me his name so it wouldn't cause a problem. If I have to get a restricted licence then I suppose I will but it seems to be like most of the licencing laws, bloody ridiculous. I have 30 years of experience and can provide numerous 'referees' to support that. Maybe I need some further clarification.

I have the same problem everytime I want to sell a Golden Tail gecko. Its not on the list therefore it must not be restricted but if you read the conditions on page 10 and 11 of the following link http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publicati...als_under_a_recreational_wildlife_licence.pdf

it is a list that we are assumed to know its contents. Unless there was a specific change in legislation (which is unlikely as none of the other amendments have been addressed yet) , the legislations stands under the one basic rule "if it is rare and endangered in QLD it is a restricted species regardless of how common it is in captivity".
I would think the best person to clairify the issue is Leslie Shirreffs whose phone number appears on that document. Officially the only way a woma could be off that list is if it is no longer considered rare and endangered in QLD.
What permit are other Woma keepers in QLD using??

Mine are on a restricted licence, although I have more than two
specimens.
bwana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back