retained eye scales??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spanna_spamload

Reaction score
Hey guys i just picked up this lovely juvvie woma the other day and have noticed today that on his left eye seems to be 2 indentations, and that both his eyes seem milky but only in the middle of them (not the whole eye). I have never noticed milky eyes being just in the centre of the eyes in my other snakes, although it is possible that i always have missed this.

I am concerned that he may have retained his eye scales from his last slough, but I am hoping that its just that he is coming into a new slough. Apart from this he seems fine and everything.

What do you guys think?

Cheers Spanna.

DSCF1010.jpg

Last edited:
definately odd.. never had a retained eye scale so i cant tell you. try the damp pillowcase thing. those indentations dont look right to me. hydration is alsways something closely related to eyes in all animals.. so keep him hydrated

I have seen the indentations often enough but not usually with cloudy eyes. It is usually later on when the eyes clear immediately prior to the shed. It might be that the last shed was not complete and is therefore going into another to fix the problem. I would just keep an eye on it and give it a bath or two as soon as the eyes clear.

I just had a second look at his eyes in better light and it appears that the cloudiness isnt so and that he appears to have what looks likes air pockets under his eyes as some parts of the eye are solid black and other parts are an off black if you catch what I mean, which if he has retained scales then this would explain it and the 2 dents.

Anyone had this before?
Should I give him a warm bath?

my woma's eye was dented a few days before it had it's shed. I just let it be and it was fine after a shed.

I just had a second look at his eyes in better light and it appears that the cloudiness isnt so and that he appears to have what looks likes air pockets under his eyes as some parts of the eye are solid black and other parts are an off black if you catch what I mean, which if he has retained scales then this would explain it and the 2 dents.

Anyone had this before?
Should I give him a warm bath?

Yes, I have had very similar before. Also had success removing it with warm water and very gentle persuasion with a wet cotton bud concentrating around the edge of the eye socket. You need to establish if only the eye cap is retained or if in fact the rest of the shed was also retained. It might just be the light in your pic. but some of the head scales seem to have that "retained scale" appearance too. I would be giving him a nice long bath.

i always check the shed and see if the spectacles are there. if they don't ruine the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back