Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourexes

Reaction score
I purchased a spotted a few months back now and have bit had a bit of a niggling problem,other than it looking alot like a childreni. He seems to show intermittent signs of a Respiratory Infection but otherwise seems great. He's been to the vet and had a dose of ventril I think, antibiotics either way. The symptoms seemed to reduce with the antibiotics but not disappear. Being probably a little too vigilant I insisted my vet check again and perhaps run another course of antibiotics. The solution apparently was run a swab test to pinpoint bacteria and there seemed to be a bit of miscommunication as when I picked him up I spoke to the actual vet and he checked him out and looked as far down his throat as possible without sedation and everything seemed fine. The suggested solution was to check back in a few weeks.
Symptoms include clicking breathing most of the time and occasional puffy throat and when I pull his lip down when he's got puffy throat he's got bubbles in his mouth & sounds like an asthmatic old falcon. Also shows some evidence of discharge from nostrils but never actually seen it.
He is still eating and is very active, doesn't seem cranky and is due to shed (first with me).
He is in a 70litre tub with a heat mat 24/7 & a basking heat lamp on for 10 hours of the day. Substrate is breeders choice to reduce humidity.

I thought perhaps I was just tripping balls but other people have seen & heard it to, both snake educated and otherwise. My biggest problem is I want to consolidate my herp collection together to save room but I don't want to give my water python this 'thing' that doesn't seem to be a 'thing'.

Am I over-reacting? I've tried to get pics of the bubbles but it's too hard. it's only been 3 months of quarantine and technically if he still has something that has to start again. My other concern was that it disapears over summer and comes back in winter. And if I've taken it to the only herp vet in town and they say it's fine is it?

I purchased a spotted a few months back now and have bit had a bit of a niggling problem,other than it looking alot like a childreni. He seems to show intermittent signs of a Respiratory Infection but otherwise seems great. He's been to the vet and had a dose of ventril I think, antibiotics either way. The symptoms seemed to reduce with the antibiotics but not disappear. Being probably a little too vigilant I insisted my vet check again and perhaps run another course of antibiotics. The solution apparently was run a swab test to pinpoint bacteria and there seemed to be a bit of miscommunication as when I picked him up I spoke to the actual vet and he checked him out and looked as far down his throat as possible without sedation and everything seemed fine. The suggested solution was to check back in a few weeks.
Symptoms include clicking breathing most of the time and occasional puffy throat and when I pull his lip down when he's got puffy throat he's got bubbles in his mouth & sounds like an asthmatic old falcon. Also shows some evidence of discharge from nostrils but never actually seen it.
He is still eating and is very active, doesn't seem cranky and is due to shed (first with me).
He is in a 70litre tub with a heat mat 24/7 & a basking heat lamp on for 10 hours of the day. Substrate is breeders choice to reduce humidity.

I thought perhaps I was just tripping balls but other people have seen & heard it to, both snake educated and otherwise. My biggest problem is I want to consolidate my herp collection together to save room but I don't want to give my water python this 'thing' that doesn't seem to be a 'thing'.

Am I over-reacting? I've tried to get pics of the bubbles but it's too hard. it's only been 3 months of quarantine and technically if he still has something that has to start again. My other concern was that it disapears over summer and comes back in winter. And if I've taken it to the only herp vet in town and they say it's fine is it?

3 months, i still have 1 in my bedroom that i got from a DECCW ballot over 6 months ago. If it doesnt seem right dont risk it imo. It may well be nothing, but if its something you will kick yourself for having them in the same room

well the good news is he shed last night and haven't heard a peep out of him since. Antibiotics really didn't do much in hindsight and the next step was pathology to identify the infection, which does seem strange for an otherwise seemingly healthy snake. Apparently one of the vets offsiders booked him in for a swab to be sent off to pathology but the vet himself had a good physical look and made the call not to. So hopefully I've dodged a pathology bill and everything that follows. Also by the looks of it I've found a good herp vet.

The main threat was to my water python, I hope this makes people think about their existing collection when picking up new snakes as that was a poor effort in judgement on my behalf & is easy enough to happen to newbies.

Heres hoping that it was all just due to the last bad shed he had, with a bit of skin left in his nose and just in case your interested, he had a perfect shed.
PC120272.jpgPC120271.jpgPC120276.jpgPC120281.jpgPC120285.jpg

gday mate, it just looks like a dark maculosa to me. also i would get rid of the breeders choice pellets and just use newspaper. that crap is so full of dust and sometimes other foreign objects, and it will dry your enclosure out too much.It could have been the substrate causing the noisy breathing.

Hi, I noticed my diamond python has been puffing its neck out (sort of how you would picture a frog expanding its neck) and when listening closely every so often a soft short kind of hissing sound. I was wandering if it could be due to a bad shed like yours or possobly RI also hasn't eaten in 3 weeks (was 'apparently' feeding every week, although looks like its missed more than a few feeds to me) I only just purchased the diamond very recently and don't have much other info (that I know is 100% accurate) to give you but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi, I noticed my diamond python has been puffing its neck out (sort of how you would picture a frog expanding its neck) and when listening closely every so often a soft short kind of hissing sound. I was wandering if it could be due to a bad shed like yours or possobly RI also hasn't eaten in 3 weeks (was 'apparently' feeding every week, although looks like its missed more than a few feeds to me) I only just purchased the diamond very recently and don't have much other info (that I know is 100% accurate) to give you but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
Dont start to worry yet its more then likely shed in its nostrils. It may go away after its next shed. Just keep a close eye on it to see if it worsens or gets better.

I also noticed she has been laying in its water bowl coiled up since I've had her. Will keep an eye on her and try getting her to eat. Thank you :)

"stomatitis" is a possibility, and this can have varying forms so be thorough "if" checking for it "PLUS" l agree 100% with cements post for what that is worth....( solar 17)

Also just review husbandry if you haven't already done so, check temps twice etc. Most people have told me, vet included, that as long as it sheds, eats & defecates ok it's generally healthy.

Have a good look around it's 'nostrils' and if you can behind/under their lips. Any signs of discharge or bubbles could​ be a sign of infection & you should be thinking about a herp vet.

Ive had almost exactly the same problem with my Coastal Girl. Been to vets, antibiotics, stress etc etc. Dribbling out of her mouth etc etc. I tried all sorts of things to fix her and in the end what fixed her litterally overnight was changing out the substrate. I was using critters crubmle, i had changed the substrate before but this time i just put in plain old newspaper and its went straight away. Vet reckons the critters either has someting her system doesnt like or it was holding a little to much moisture.

Go with Cements idea and go with plain paper for a bit and see what happens.

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]I received her yesterday afternoon and did offer her food last night which was not eaten (although may be due to stress of being moved) she has not defecated yet either and not sure the last time she shed or ate will try and get more info off the previous owner. I have checked her nose and mouth all looks normal although will take her out again soon and check again. I have her in isolation on paper atm also not sure what she was housed in previous to that. I will try to get some pics up of her soon. Thanks for everyone's help![/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Just changed her enclosure and she has defecated

- - - Updated - - -

Seeming as she has been soaking in her water bowl I decided to give her a bath. Turns out she has mites.. Hundreds of littles black specs instantly came off her, I picked her up and looked at her underside and saw a little spec crawling along her. Could this be what's causing her to puff her neck and make occasional strange noises? Or is it most likely not related? Letting her have a long soak in the bath (changing the water often) and then going to treat her mites.. Any tips?

My advice would be to treat the mites, get her eating then see how she sheds, then see what happens after all that :) keeping a general eye on condition in between and maybe seeing a vet if the puff progresses.

Thanks fourexes. Mite treatment started today so when they are clear hopefully all else is well if not off to the vet. She already seems so much better, no longer coiling in her bowl and puffing isn't as often, so hopefully she kicks whatever she has :)

yep the puff might have been caused by the increased time in the water hopefully.
I took my breeders choice out as cement suggested earlier as my spotted was starting to get the odd noise back again. Since the newspaper has been better again, and it's cheaper lol.

I remember reading that if a snake has had any respiratory problems (not necessarily RI) in the past it makes flare ups more common. I like to think of it as the snuffles and it's usually an indication something needs attention. Well managed it shouldn't be an issue, and you seem to have it under control MissNoble.

I do stress the fact however I'm not a herp vet and most of my experience has been from talking to various people on this forum and clubs, and my herp vet. If in any doubt you should take it to the vet, if you have a good one it shouldn't ever cost much to get a checkup.

Yeah, paper is definitely the way to go especially when sick. Her mites are just about gone and she is happily moving around her enclosure. She still occasionally puffs up when being checked for mites and it seems to only be when she is angry.. I think she will be okay once mites are gone which should be soon! If not I will be taking her to the vet :) thank you fourexes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back