Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is doing well Fantamic :D He doesn't move around much but while I see a new milestone every week or so, he is gonna stay there till I see him climbing the walls wanting to get out.

With the food, I wonder if it would make a difference if I chopped a mouse up (yum, biology was my favourite subject at school :D) so then the guts would be nice an aromatic. And he is only young, so I don't how young an age they would start chasing live food or whether they just live off what they find laying around. HE is so awesome, but I am becoming more and more warey of him now. Not scared but warey because he has already shown me that his mouth is ready to defend - hasn't got me, but he lunged at me, hitting the closed, glass door.

Once upon time I was horrified of lizards, now I am nursing a lace monitor back to health. Just education on their behaviour, and how they live, what they eat, and getting hands on experience through volunteer work at my local wildlife park a couple years back, has cured me of the fear I once had. Was always happy to look but hated them coming near me. I use to attempt to chase the bearded dragons off the road but they looked dangerously spikey and when they ran in my direction I'd scream like a girl, dancing all over the place trying get out of their way. Not anymore, I pick them up now :D I use to sit on the tables at the parks where the goannas roam. Now I'm sitting on the grass waiting for them come up close now so I can take their photos. I know if I keep still and quiet they will wander past and not worry about me.

Last edited:
He is starting to move around more now. I haven't seen him moving, but when I go and check on him he is never in the same spot. Sometimes inside his hide, next time under his light, maybe off to the side, but its good to see he isn't where I saw him last. :D Still not climbing the walls yet, though, but I haven't seen him take any steps backwards. Thanks for asking :D

His head comes up nice and strong now, and on his feet, not just laying down. He isn't far off being able to go home :D.

How will I know when he is ready to go? I am not trying to get rid of him. I don't want to release him too soon. Even though he is looking strong, and moving about when I am not looking, he isn't climbing the walls trying to get out. But I am not sure if he'll do that, anyway. When I tap on the glass his responds almost instantly. His head comes up and his eyes don't leave me.

I am heading down town to get him some roo meat. He might like a nice, stinky feed of kangaroo? If not, my dog will.

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

...an hour later - I am back with some roo steaks. He didn't want to know about it off my tongs so I found a clean slab of slate to lay some pieces there for him. When I first reached in I thought he was going to take it. His nose followed it for a few seconds but then he puffed his throat up so I decided it was time to leave him be. :D I am so thrilled with his progress. Its going to be sad to see him go. ITs going to be an emotional moment to watch him run off.
IMG_3019.jpg

Last edited:
My advice is to leave the roo steak for your dog. Monitors do better on small whole animals, for they have the full complement of calcium, vitamins, roughage etc, whereas plain meat is just protein and consequently a 'filler'. There's a thread on this forum somewhere (search for RSPcrazy's posts) showing what happens when a monitor is fed meat rather than animals. RSPcrazy got a young lacie from someone else that had been raising it on chicken breast and it ended up with severe MBD.

I realise this feed of roo steak is probably a one-off, but I think for a recovering rescue that every meal should count, so you may as well make each one a fully nutritious one.

Ok, I will do that. I didn't think of that. Was tryin something that smells strongly to encourage his feed response. He didn't eat the mouse I left for him. It went flat so I chucked it. Maybe I should chop it up to get the smell happening for him? He ate the pinky rats whole. I am going to Port tomorrow so will pick up some pinky rats from the pet store for him, and see if I can find him some quail, too. I know its a lot of expense for a temporary guest but I can't help it. I gotta look after him properly. :)

Thank you David. Your input in always appreciated. I didn't see that thread of RSPCrazy. I will do a search now for it, but that sounds bad :( I don't want to jeopardise this little guy now. He has come so far. I can't even sneak peek in the shed door now, he knows I am there :D The head goes up strongly when he knows I am there.

Nice work kathy, they're certainly tuff little buggers:)!

Get a frozen mouse and chop it up, then thaw it out. That'll trigger it to eat. The other thing you may try is to smear some catfood onto the mouse bits - that stuff smells god-awful and goannas love the smell of god-awful.

Every time I enter the shed Ricky's head goes up :D. I think he is almost ready to return home. What is the best way to test his movement out properly? I want to make sure he can run well, but not sure what to do here. For other animals I've had appropriate enclosures to let them loose in to monitor their movements but I don't really have anything big enough to let this guy out in, to trial him, except my new aviary I am putting together for the intergrades. It isn't lacy proof though, but if I can temporarily block a missing wall, just so I can observe how he moves around, it might be enough to tell me whether or not he needs more time, and hopefully not annoy him too much.

Can you set up a video camera and film his enclosure? Then watch what you've recorded at the end of the day to see how he moves when you're not around. This would be good because his movements with be slow and deliberate, not forced and fastpaced as they would be if set loose into a larger enclosure. He may be ready to walk okay, but not ready to run fast.

I only have video option on my normal camera but I'll see how long that lasts. Will do that tomorrow just before I head to work. Thanks Nick :D

I love monitor lizards, they are so beautiful, I think you're an amazing person to take him in (though I'm also insanely jealous lol)

I always get upset when I see beautiful lizards and other animals who have been hit by cars.
I commend you for stopping and helping this amazing little guy.
I can't wait to hear more on his recovery.

All the best,
Angil

Ricky is ready to go home :D He is just waiting now, for the next hot day so we can release him. He is climbing on top of his hide boxes and moving about all over his cage, protesting when I look at him, so to me, that is a sure sign of a healthy lacy. He hates me :( ungrateful bugger, and he won't eat but I have decided not to worry about that, I think its a wildcaught being held captive, issue. My daughter and I are going to have our cameras, so we can video his release and capture the still shots, too. :D

excellent news you have done so well...please try to post some pics of him going to freedom !!

Maybe take some day old chicks or mice with you when you release him and throw them around a bit to keep him going until he settles in :)

Great news Kathy! Can't wait to see pictures of his release.

You've done extremely well and actually listened to what the more experienced keepers have advised you to do, which is very rare these days.

Well done.

Thank you very much :D . It is only in the best interest of the animal, to listen to those who are more experienced. I thought today might have been a go but the hot morning is covering over with clouds already. I guess I am never going to pick that perfect day, so this weekend coming is on the cards if it isn't raining and cold. I am really excited and also very nervous. But Serpenttongue has told me how to handle, wild lacies so I will try his method and hope I come home with my skin in tact...lol. We gotta pull him out of the enclosure while he is cold and sleepy in the morning. Then when we get to his territory we pop him on the ground in the full sun, wait till he warms up and watch him take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back