Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like tomorrow is his day. :D

I gave Ricky a test run in my bathroom just to see how well he moves. I know its probably normal for him to not be afraid of me, considering the time he's been in my care, but I hope his wild instinct will kick in when we release him. He was ready to attack but not trying to run away. But he's definitely moving nice and strong on his feet and did not lose control of his head :D

I did a short video clip while I was watching him in the bathroom. Please excuse the dirty patch on the floor, I moved a cupboard out so he couldn't get behind anything. But I am more than happy to see him go home today. And according to our weather forecast, every day this week coming is getting hotter and hotter, so perfect for him, provided the forecast is correct. :D

Ricky the Lacy - YouTube

Last edited:
Amazing work, Kathy!! I have been following this thread for the past 4 months, and you have done an amazing job! I am sure he is greatful for all your hard work. I hope the release went well, and can't wait to see the video/photos
Great work!! :D

He isn't ready yet

Test runs in confined areas wasn't enough to show us his true strength. Letting him out in the open bushland revved him up but it is very clear he isn't ready to go. Obviously, the taste of escape set him off that he just couldn't gain control of his co-ordination and even fell over onto his back a couple of times :(. He was strong enough on his feet and very quick to right himself when he did end up on his back, and managed to scramble up a tree and out of reach. But it was a real struggle for him. I was kicking myself, knowing that I've let him out to die, but as I reached up to him with a stick he fell. Luckily he caught the stick so I was able to stop him falling to the ground. Then Jamie threw the towel back over him, and I have brought him back home.

He appears to either needs much more time for healing, or has some brain damage :( which means I have acquired permanent resident goanna. :) Bad news is he is still in captivity, but the good news is, he is with me :p . I am now going to work on getting him eating, even if I have to force feed him, and fixing up his enclosure to a more natural look with proper logs, and nag my husband to build him a nice, outdoor pen where he will be able to live out his days.

I am uploading a small video clip of his test run. Will put it up later, when its ready.

I think you should give him a day outside so he can get some sun, stretch his legs and climb on his own terms, intsead of being made to run. Allow him to really investigate an outdoor aviary with branches and logs etc and you'll be able to see how he swaggers and moves his head around to tongue-flick everything. But also be aware that he may go into hiding for a few days when placed outside (after half an hour of investigating).

I was wondering about that slight head wobble he showed in the first video you showed of him on the floor and was hoping that's all it was. It sounds like it was an indication of something bigger. If he's come this far, you may find that he keeps improving.

I think you should give him a day outside so he can get some sun, stretch his legs and climb on his own terms, intsead of being made to run. Allow him to really investigate an outdoor aviary with branches and logs etc and you'll be able to see how he swaggers and moves his head around to tongue-flick everything. But also be aware that he may go into hiding for a few days when placed outside (after half an hour of investigating).

Might give him a go in my new aviary before I put the snakes out. I took him out to Jamie's so that I had a better opinion than my own, watching him. At first we thought he might have been able to settle himself but it wasn't going to happen. And him falling off the tree was enough to tell me he wasn't ready to go.

Crocdoc - being in a fairly confined enclosure (4x2x2) he doesn't have the room to exert much energy, so his progress looked very good. I still give him the thumbs up but ready to go out in the world? Thumbs down.

I don't care how long it takes, he is back in my care. I have the next two days off work so will go and gather some branches and find a nice log and re-deck his enclosure. My husband is thinking of ideas about building a suitable enclosure for him outside, which is going to be fantastic for him.

RickyClip - YouTube

Having seen that second vid of him outside and your description of him falling over, it looks and sounds suspiciously like a "neuro problem" I've seen before in an Eastern Bearded Dragon I had in care last season. The animal would exhaust itself attempting to escape and eventually just lay there. Unfortunately this particular Beardie was not deemed viable for release and a decision was made to euth. Perhaps long term captive may be the go if Ricky fails to improve, assuming he's able to feed and taking water?

I should have mentioned that animal was also found on the road with no apparent injury apart from some blood in it's mouth.

:( I suppose if I can't get him eating, I might have to think about putting him down. But I won't make that decision too lightly. He has come so far and done so well to get back onto his feet. So, I see a new road ahead, let's see how he continues to travel :D

Ive been watching your story, but hadnt checked in for awhile......wow he has sure made an improvement, so well done to you! Its a shame that he wasnt ready for release, & maybe he never will be, but i do hope that it is an option for him to stay with you, rather then him needing to be put to sleep. Ive got my fingers crossed for you, & Ricky, lets hope he just keeps getting stronger! Goodluck!

......., but i do hope that it is an option for him to stay with you, rather then him needing to be put to sleep. ......!

Of course he will stay with me. If he isn't suffering I won't have him put down. That's all I care about, is his well being.

Sorry if my comment sounded as though i was saying that you wouldnt keep him! That is not at all how i meant it, I can tell that you only have his best interest at heart! I was simply saying that i hope that he keeps improving & doesnt need to be put to sleep. Whether he is released or not, im sure if he keeps recovering he will be a very happy monitor. :)

No need for apologies Bel. Your heart is in the right place. Thank you for your thoughts. I know he will have a good life here, and he won't be stuck in that enclosure for too much longer. Already working on getting him outdoors.

I hope he doesn't get lonely, though :?. I might have to get him some company, eventually.

Monitors aren't particularly social (unlike, say, Cunningham's skinks), so don't fret too much about that. The danger is that if it still has neurological problems when its older and you try to introduce another lace monitor, the wobbly movements my trigger an attack from the other monitor. Their teeth do a lot of damage really quickly.

Ricky is outside enjoying some warm sun today. Unfortunately I don't have a larger outdoor enclosure at the moment, so this has to do. I'm just sweating on him not ripping the mesh with his claws :D I offered him some nice smelly chicken dog food - Natures Choice brand - he was having a bit of a pick at it until he realised we were watching him, then he started climbing the walls. :( His head movement while on the ground is good, but on the mesh he is less co-ordinated.
005-4.jpg

This shed is the start of his outdoor enclosure. We will be putting some wire around outside, too, so he has the shed for warmth and shelter, and can go outside, into the sunshine. I reckon it is too hot for summer, but we are talking about a goanna :) and with the wire and decorations, we can make it pretty good for him. :D
018-3.jpg

If you can offer some pointers to look out for, I am all ears :D I get in-undated with reports of people having so much trouble with wild lacies getting into their chook pens, I need to make sure he doesn't get out. Jamie will no doubt offer his advice and assistance :D here, but I am thinking a wire bottom floor and throwing dirt over that to hide the wire would be the way to go?

good to see its coming along , i am now in the same delemer with my lacie [ making an enclosure so he can be permantly outside]

With such a relatively small animal that's still requiring some monitoring (excuse the pun), Kathy, I would probably be looking into a larger indoor set up, high basking temps, lots of hides and some peace and quiet, where you are more able to control the surrounding environment, keep an eye on progress/health and escape isn't much of a concern. Plenty of examples here of good indoor caging for Lacies. You've made obvious progress already with this set up (where many others would have given up long ago, I suspect) and I can't see much advantage in a move outside, at least at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back