Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found just two threads with photographs and details on indoor set ups. But it has a couple of awesome looking set ups & Crocdoc sent me a care sheet when I first brought Ricky into care, and I also have a book that belongs to Jamie, here, about keeping monitor lizards. So setting it up with the heat and lights isn't a problem. But how to deck it out to suit a lacy is what I went searching for. I think my fellow would require long and low rather than having any great height.

I think your right with the long and low rather than lots of verticle space, given his particular problem. Personally, I'd probably go 1200mm- 2000mm(L)x600mm(H)x600mm-900mm(W) with a suitable thermal gradient and at least 200mm of a suitable substrate (I use coco-peat) and plenty of hides spread throughout in the form of hollow branches/logs, with a rock under your flood light for basking.

Here's an albiet temporary example I currently am using for my new addition. The cage type is totally unsuitable for Lacies and dosen't have a deep enough substrate dam, but I'm in the process of building something more suitable out of 18mm ply (from Bunnings).

The enclosures DK (crocdoc) uses for his younger animals are what I'm trying to get at for Ricky (check out his YouTube vids -"Food Gremlins" comes to mind, but also "Goblin and Tiger").

Hope this helps:)! And others may have other ideas they can contribute?!

Attachments

• cage 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    cage 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 50
  • cage 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    cage 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 59
Well, giving him a couple weeks to get over his trauma of "test release", I have started trying to feed Ricky again. While watching me like a hawk, I slowly reached over to him, with a spoon of chicken dogfood. I saw his tongue :D for the first time since I've had him. Only just stuck the forks out but he showed interest in the food. But I had to drop the spoon eh :( and scare him. HE didn't run but he backed away from the spoon. Thankfully he didn't attack, as I took a big risk, tipping the food onto the floor near him, bare handed. He just froze and watched, so I slowly backed off and left him to it. He ate it, but didn't eat the extra I put in a bowl. So now its time to get him going on the mice and pinky rats again.

Give Ricky a go with diced adult mice/quail/chics. You may even be able to tong feed, if you move slowly enough, given Ricky's condition?! How's the enclosure going? Any pics??

Here's a pic of my lighting set up, Kathy, hope this helps:)! The rounded heat lamp is the Mega Ray/ Solar Glo and the others are a 75W and a 50W flood- style Halogen. Basking temps of55c-65c, depending somewhat on ambient temps for the day.

Substrate is 20cm of coco peat (damp, but not sodden) to retain humidity. Smaller vents, placed about 1/3 up either side help retain humidity also.

Attachments

• 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    002 [1600x1200].jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Indoor cage 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    Indoor cage 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
  • washing day 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    washing day 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
1200mm x 1200mm each side and both females are over the 1200mm mark in those pics. Very small and cramped, I know, but both animals also have the run of the house and the Bell's often spends her days outside in a much larger enclosure, but both animals still choose to use these cages as basking spots and overnight retreats. I guess it's what they grew up in and both feel comfortable with.

Here's their newer set ups, 2400mm x 1200mm x 8-900mm, but they still both prefer the original (go figure):)!

Attachments

• Lacie cages 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Lacie cages 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    95 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back