Ridge Tailed Monitor Enclosure Build

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great but is way too small for three Ridgeys don't you think?

Ya reckon? Its 1200x700x900mm (LWH). Most people im spoken to said that should be plenty big enough. 200mm of substrate and a background should give them enough room to get away if they want too.

Rick

Hm if plenty of other learned people have said it's fine I wont argue. I just figured three roughly 70cm long adult Ridgeys might get a bit cramped as the enclosure didn't look that big from the pics. I'd house one in there but thats just me. Monitors especially seem to like big spaces.

Hm if plenty of other learned people have said it's fine I wont argue. I just figured three roughly 70cm long adult Ridgeys might get a bit cramped as the enclosure didn't look that big from the pics. I'd house one in there but thats just me. Monitors especially seem to like big spaces.

70cm long Ridgey? They very rarely get that size as far as im aware, im getting WA reds and i think they max around 50cm total length.

Rick

a really nice background. love the colouring. Doubt mine will turn out as good.

Colour is only sandstone oxide, pretty happy with it and if i was to add paint i think i would of stuffed it lol. Mine doesnt have alot of small detail but it will do the trick :)

Yours will turn out as well as you need it to, just like mine.

Rick

y5uze3aj.jpg

Rear light only
unybe7a5.jpg

Both lights

Rick

Just said the max size they can get. It's all personal preference though :) Someone earlier also mentioned N.S.W have bigger cage minimums too which might be why I found it small. I'm a New South Aussie myself ha ha.

Just said the max size they can get. It's all personal preference though :) Someone earlier also mentioned N.S.W have bigger cage minimums too which might be why I found it small. I'm a New South Aussie myself ha ha.

That is the problem, not many get 70cm and the nsw cage sizes min cage size is huge for a 50cm monitor.!

I will be getting 3 hatchies and if they do get too big for the enclosure i will just build a bigger one. Only got space for a 1200 long at the moment but will be moving in the next 12 months into a new house so will have a space for a few big display enclosures then :)

Rick

cant wait to see this finished!

Me either mate. Waiting on a few more vents to come in the post and then i can pretty much bring it inside and i can throw the sand in and test temps :)

Im pretty happy with the background even tho the pictures make it look better then it is, i know the monitors will love it.

Rick

jejaqage.jpg

Almost ready to go inside. Still waiting on front vents and need to purchase glass. Needs need to wipe it all out.

Rick

How will you attach those branches or do you just wedge them in? Looks really good mate :) What temp does the heated side get up to with all four lights on? BTW no.2 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How will you attach those branches or do you just wedge them in? Looks really good mate :) What temp does the heated side get up to with all four lights on? BTW no.2 :)

They are wedged in tigh in those positions. Im yet to get glass so i dont know how hot that side will be, will probably know in a week. After testing it inside.

Rick

number 2 :)

I like the lights you used, any reason why you changed them around? Did these ones give better temps? They look a bit easier to position.

Last edited:
number 2 :)

I like the lights you used, any reason why you changed them around? Did these ones give better temps? They look a bit easier to position.

The original ones had plastic bases, they decided to melt and not hold position or angle. Theses were 150w linear halogen globes.

New ones are all metal with teeth on the angle adjustment, so they dont move. These take 2 100w g9 globes, so i can remove just 1 globe or drop wattage on them all seperatly.

I did prefer the flood effect from the first ones but i couldnt find another linear halogen that looked appealing and was functional.

Best thing about the halogen is they are cheap and 100% dimmable, create alot of heat aswell.

Rick

ahyda7e3.jpg

2e2ytujy.jpg

esejadaj.jpg

y3e5urym.jpg

Just need to do final temperature testing and timer scheduels, it has turned out looking half decent.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back