Ridge-tailed Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarafritz2011

Reaction score
So I'm picking up an ackie tomorrow as a surprise for my Dad.. I have been researching for a while now and have the basics down pact, but find that I absorb information better if it is laid out plain and simple in front of me, rather than digging through different webistes for information.

I understand that they require a hotspot of 50-60 degrees? I have never kept monitors before and this seems quite high - any feedback regarding these temps? Is this a good temp for a hotspot - should it be lower, higher?

Also I have noted that they can be fond of burrowing - what would you recommend as a substrate? I was thinking sand but am not sure as I have read alot in regards to impactation. Also when I kept my beardies on red sand, it stained their bellies. Again, any recommendations? Anything to avoid?

I'm sorry if this seems like another newbie post - I hate them as much as the next person when the information is often so easy to find - but I seem to be getting alot of mixed information regarding the above topics. Would like some advice from keepers of ackies on this site :)

Hi tarafritz2011 keeping ackie are quite simple. I use sand (the same as you use in kids sand pits) for my ackie they love it and it doesn’t turn them red. Hot spot, Ackie love them I use a cheap low wattage down light from Bunnings. They lay under it in the morning and after a feed. It runs for about 10hrs a day. I also run a heat mat as well. They love it HOT. If your ackie is sleeping all day your tank need to be hotter. I feed my Ackie crickets and woodlys and when their older pinkies. hope this helps and more information let me know

No that was great, thanks :) I do like the look of sand. Looks nice and natural. So the stuff you use is just like kids play sand?

Hi tarafritz2011 keeping ackie are quite simple. I use sand (the same as you use in kids sand pits) for my ackie they love it and it doesn’t turn them red. Hot spot, Ackie love them I use a cheap low wattage down light from Bunnings. They lay under it in the morning and after a feed. It runs for about 10hrs a day. I also run a heat mat as well. They love it HOT. If your ackie is sleeping all day your tank need to be hotter. I feed my Ackie crickets and woodlys and when their older pinkies. hope this helps and more information let me know

do you know the name of the bag brand or anything fangs? as i wanted to get sand but didnt want to stain my monitor

do you know the name of the bag brand or anything fangs? as i wanted to get sand but didnt want to stain my monitor

If u go to bunnings to the nursery and check out kids play sand and or even Sydney sand is just as good an wont stain. Sydney sand isn't red it's natural color kinda brownish when wet:) and much cheaper.

Last edited:
wasnt worried about cheap was excited to have a nice desert themed enclosure but if its going to stain the monitor ill have to go with different sand would the salt in the sand on beaches be harmful to a ackie at all?

Don't use sand off the beach...
wasnt worried about cheap was excited to have a nice desert themed enclosure but if its going to stain the monitor ill have to go with different sand would the salt in the sand on beaches be harmful to a ackie at all?

My Gould's is on the PBS brickies sand from bunnings, he absolutely loves it.
I don't think it really matters if they turn a bit red, they absolutely love the stuff,
It holds burrows much better as well, play sand will just collapse..

I bought some today, from bayswater Bunnings it is $8 for a 20 kilogram bag.
It would cost that much at most other stores as well.
Some people mix it 50/50 with play sand, but I think it's fine on it's own..

I can see what you mean about play sand collapsing.
I will look into the PBS brickie sand :) thanks

I bought some today, from bayswater Bunnings it is $8 for a 20 kilogram bag.
It would cost that much at most other stores as well.
Some people mix it 50/50 with play sand, but I think it's fine on it's own..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back