Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli-sli

Reaction score
hey guys i really need photos for a ridge tailed monitor!

it come in two weeks!!!

thanks guys,
its a 4ft long 2 ft high and 3 ft deep,
is that a good size?

Here is one of my Mt Isa Ackies when it was little

bushfire-albums-ackies-picture5421-mt-isa-ackie.jpg

bushfire-albums-ackies-picture5423-mt-isa-ackie.jpg

Here is one of the sub adult WA Sandfires

bushfire-albums-ackies-picture8860-p1000477.jpg

Last edited:
im using a 240 wat heat lamp with a heat matt, whats the best floor subtrate to use

definitely sand. I used sand from bunnings called Sydney Sand. I dont use the Desert Sand as it stains them that orangey colour.

Heating sounds fine. Sand i recon is best and make sure it is damp, that way they can burrow and not have tunnels collapse one them.

Here's the trio i had. One night i had a drunken party and they were missing in the morning... coincidence... i think not!

77478b54.jpg

haha how depp should the sand be?

im buying hatchis for 250?

what is the best ridgeys to buy?

Oh and i think overhead heating with a stack underneath it is better because it gives a better thermal gradient. But seeing you are in NSW you may need the floor heat too to keep ur substrate reasonably warm.

haha how depp should the sand be?

im buying hatchis for 250?

what is the best ridgeys to buy?

Depends if you want to see them or not. 2 inches would be minimum and any more than 5 a waste. $250 is about right, but personally i wouldn't get ackies or any other arboreal species again because you never get to see them. I'd go for some kind of tree monitor.

im aculy in SA

tree monitors? how much and im only 15 so its not my house yet thats why ill start off small

I see my ackies all the time, and they are such characters to watch run around.

I keep them on a 1 inch layer of sand with a big box of sand at one end, they then will dig tunnels to sleep at night, but in the day they are always running around, hunting and basking under their globe.

My ackies also love to climb.

im aculy in SA

tree monitors? how much and im only 15 so its not my house yet thats why ill start off small

Alot of them are the same size as an ackie. They aren't as common in captivity so you would proabably pay more for them. But if ur buying one as a novel pet i've heard the ackies settle down better and can be handled like a beardie whereas the trees tend to stay flighty. Well mine did anyway, it was a spotted tree monitor.

250 sounds about right for the WA Sandfire forms

As for the best...well that depends on what you prefer. I prefer the high yellow ones like in my first pic. It seems the once rarer WA Sandfires are now more commonly found. But they still are pretty.

You can pick up the Alice Spring forms for alot less (around $150ea). If I were you try and get more than one prefer a trio. This will increase your chances for getting opposite sexes. In saying that last year I brought three Sandfires which ended up being three girls and three Mount Isas which turned out three boys to it is a lucky dip

i wonna breed them, i have about 8 hundred as i do work

whats the best way to go?

You can pick up the Alice Spring forms for alot less (around $150ea). If I were you try and get more than one prefer a trio. This will increase your chances for getting opposite sexes. In saying that last year I brought three Sandfires which ended up being three girls and three Mount Isas which turned out three boys to it is a lucky dip

That's if you are intending on breeding them. If you want an animal you can hold without gettign torn to shreds when ur showing ur mates just get one.

i have 8 hundred, i wonna breed them so a male and female ive heard they are really hard to sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back