Rifle hunters.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Sako 243 which I have had for many years, great rifle, makes a big mess of foxes using 80 grain projectiles though. Just recently purchased 22 Winchester Widcat to teach my young son how shoot and I'm very pleased with it, nice short stock which is great for kids.

haven't had anything in ages got a soft spot for the lever actions though, only ever really went chasing feral species myself

dam you now I want to go out again

I had a .308 (Remington), a .338 lapua (AI), and a .375 H&H (CZ). Got rid of 'em all upon moving to QLD, because I hadn't used them for a long time and couldn't be stuffed keeping the licence going. If I do end up on property soon, I might invest in another one... probably just a good all-rounder .308 though. Very few people can afford to shoot the others too damned often, after all.

Just curious, does anyone know how much a 20 pack of .308 factory loads are worth?

Just curious, does anyone know how much a 20 pack of .308 factory loads are worth?

About $26 bucks for the cheapies. But i've found for pigs, the cheaper the round the greater the damage.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 which i'm about to mount a Leupold VX2 3x9x40, an upgrade from a 1.5x5. One of the best things i've bought in the last 5 years by far. Also have a Lanber 2086 12 gauge and i'm picking up a Remmington 7615 in .223 in a fortnight.

Would love some suggestions for a good red dot to mount on the pump. Any suggestions for less than $300?

i own a 22 miroku lever, a weatherby 223 sub moa blued synthetic with leupold vx3 8.5-25 x 40, a 30-30 win lever, Weatherby 300wm sub moa stainless synthetic with Leupold vx3 4.5-14 x 50 boone and crockett and my favourite gun is my win mod 70 pre 64 243cal with oiled finished stock and ceracoat with microslick and a vx3 3-9 x 40. Most guns put 5 shot clovers at 200 yards when im not shooting them and minute of pig when i am.

Best alround calibre for sure 243 or 22-250 but 223 are good for anything up to pigs also those 17hmr are ridiculously could for wat they are personally there's nothin more fun then smashing some bunnies wit my coach gun

Thanks for that waruikazi. I often think about buying a .308 rifle, obviously cheaper to run.

About $26 bucks for the cheapies. But i've found for pigs, the cheaper the round the greater the damage.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 which i'm about to mount a Leupold VX2 3x9x40, an upgrade from a 1.5x5. One of the best things i've bought in the last 5 years by far. Also have a Lanber 2086 12 gauge and i'm picking up a Remmington 7615 in .223 in a fortnight.

Would love some suggestions for a good red dot to mount on the pump. Any suggestions for less than $300?

Little early to be shooting foxes..

My weapon of choice is a .204 ruger, made by savage firearms. Using 30 & 32 grainers. I use this for foxes and deer. Very accurate and enough punch for almost anything provided u know where to hit them & u can shoot. Getting nice head shots up to 500m.

I also use a mates .17 remington mkIV. It is much better for hitting foxes on the nose, leaves a nice tiny hole. Can hit on the nose up to 350m on a good night.

I only shoot during the winter period on various properties.

While i cannot say for sure you havent shot out to 500 meters i was wondering if you knew the ballistic table of your little ruger 204
Long-Range Trajectory
rules="all" id="Datagrid5" border="1" style="background-color: Gainsboro; font-family: Verdana; font-size: XX-Small; width: 630px; border-collapse: collapse"
|- style="background-color: White; font-weight: bold"
| Cartridge Type
| Bullet
|-
| Premier® AccuTip™
| zero
|- style="background-color: White; font-family: Verdana; font-size: XX-Small"
| Premier® AccuTip™
| zero
|-

measurements are in inches. At five hundred meters you would have to hold over target 73 cm. Now if you are head shooting foxes at 200 meters and your gun puts five shoots into inch then you would be spreading them 2 inchs which is the size of foxs head, at 500 meters the group size of a stable sand bag rest would be 5 inches at least. this does not take into account the fact that there is wind at different speeds and directions over that 500 meters. now while i dont doubt you mat shoot 500 meters( this is a very long way and even with my 25 power scope seeing a foxs head at that distance cleanly enough is quite hard) if you do manage to hit said target it was only because at that exact time that animal was destined to die whether by your bullet or a lightning bolt it was dead fox walking. If you shoot at an animal at 500 meters and even if you take into consideration wind, elevation hold over depending on humidity, heat, cold assuming you correctly estimate range then you have to factor in lead as it takes 3/4 of a second for your projectile to reach 500 meters, an animal can move a fair way in 3/4 of a second. Now for my last point, i know foxs are bad and i like you would like to see everyone eradicated however i try to be humane, one addage i was taught is do not squeeze unless you can be almost certain of an instant kill. at five hundred meters if you are slightly off and wound (which is more than likley over clean kill) it is to far away for a quick follow up shot or follow up run to finish job. Now i am not saying that no one should shoot 500 meters or that no one can. you may be the best shot in the world which i hope you are but i would not or could not infer its a good idea. If you practice every day and consistently hit a 2 inch disc at five hundred meters then blaze away but remember even army snipers are not taught to be as accurate they are told center mass your trying for head shot.on a side note i do like the caliber and was thinking about building one up on a ruger falling block hex barrel for long range can busten cheers james

Last edited:
don't own any myself yet but over xmas i went to my old in Carnarvon and spent some time at the range and went hunting as well. we got to play with the following.

Stirling 22
9mm glock
Ruger 38 Special
Ruger 375 Magnum
S&W 38 Super
infinity 38 super semi-auto
Remington 44 magnum
Infinity 357 sig
12 Gauge under and over
Remington 12 gauge auto
Winchester 44 Magnum
Marlin 3030
CMC 2506
50cal black powder
and a sharps 45/120

i only have a couple of pics here's the 3030, the 50cal black powder and the sharps 45/120

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/hades69/Sharps45120calibreBuffaloGun.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/hades69/Marlin3030.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/hades69/Blackpowder50cal.jpg

I have a .177 Gamo Hunter 440 air rifle. Rebuilt with Maccari mainspring and Grt3 trigger (I will be surprised if anybody knows what that is) I get 1 cm groups at 25 meters and over the Christmas Holidays shot 18 rabbits out to 55 meters...but it's main use is to keep law and order in my rat collony.....escapees are given no quater..."I don't care if I fall as long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting"

I have a .177 Gamo Hunter 440 air rifle. Rebuilt with Maccari mainspring and Grt3 trigger (I will be surprised if anybody knows what that is) I get 1 cm groups at 25 meters and over the Christmas Holidays shot 18 rabbits out to 55 meters...but it's main use is to keep law and order in my rat collony.....escapees are given no quater..."I don't care if I fall as long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting"

I had to sign in before bed just to like this :)

I'm thinking about getting an air rifle, or borrowing my mates .22 air rifle just for the plague of Rattus rattus we've had recently move into the reserve bushland, I can go out and spotlight them at night in the branches of the lantana but as of this moment haven't taken it to the next level and started fighting back...............soon though, I will seek revenge

I love my 6.5 x 55mm, but my fav would be my Rem pump in 30-06. Can't beat the old classic and tips over anything you point it at. For bunny bustin I like my .222 or 6.5

Well, this seems as good a place as any to ask.
I'm looking at getting a rifle, mainly just for rabbits, anyone got any suggestions? I've used my dad's .22 a fair amount, wouldn't have a clue what manufacturer or anything I should be looking for, and don't want to spend a massive amount if I can help it

I would recomend the 17HMR or just the humble .22LR. You have to work harder with the .22, but ammo is cheap and easily obtainable, which means more rounds fired = more practice = better shooting. As far as brands go it depends whether you want a "quality" rifle or a workhorse. The workhorses (ie. cheaper) shoot just as well in the field as an expensive gun.

For long range stuff your going to look at anything from .222, .223, 22-250 or something bigger calibre which you need to be a bit more carful of as they really aren't varmint guns. I've also heard good reports about the 204, but haven't had a crack yet.

I've been buying 150gr Remington soft points for $30. But it gets expensive buying factory loads. I'm not set up for hand loading stuff. I bought the .22 for a bit of spray and giggle :D

Added: My Remington SPS 700 in .308 .....aka Fun-stick :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Dang...nice looking gun Moosenoose. I'm just used a a crappy little .22 and an ancient shotgun haha, always wondered what the difference is with a decent gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back