Ring Tailed Gecko Display Tank.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James..94

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just about to start setting up my tank for some ring tailed geckos.
Any suggestions as to what plants & substrate to use??
Also any pictures of tanks would be very helpful for some idea's.

Cheers James

Hey James,....if your after a living plant Hornet has some Broms for sale that multiply so you can make a bit of coin back when they do so.

Another living plant that would be cool for your tank would be the Tillandsia which are epiphytes meaning that they grow in trees and don't need much in the way of soil,....just wrap sphagnum moss around roots and spray now and then...

Or the ol Spanish moss another plant it's the flowing plant you see in the horror films and down south of USA in Louisiana, florida etc. It's a airplant so needs no soil at all...which also may help in reducing risk of bacteria within the enclosure.

You know you'll have to post pics when it's done hey :)

I tried live plants with my ringtails but they demolished them in a couple of nights, now I just use branches, vines and some of the Exo terra and zoo med artificial plants.

Thanks for the Brett:)
I have abit over a year to perfect it.
Looking at some ferns and mosses.
Maybe some broms and orchids.

---------- Post added 30-Dec-10 at 01:59 PM ----------

I tried live plants with my ringtails but they demolished them in a couple of nights, now I just use branches, vines and some of the Exo terra and zoo med artificial plants.

Dam was hoping that wouldn't happen.

Back in the old days when I kept them, I never used live plants - just fake plastic ones.

I kept them in a 3-foot tank with a sand mixed with peat substrate spanning the entire enclosure floor. They were given a UV tube and heated with a 60-watt spotlight and thrived. The enclosure wasn't very complex, just having logs, rocks, vines, plants, a climbing pegboard wall and a water bowl. Hides were supplied as well but they were rarely used, the geckos seemed to enjoy just lazying about the enclosure 24/7 in full view - much like a Spiny-tailed Gecko.

I don't have any enclosure photos worth showing but heres some of the animals themselves.

Attachments

• P1200086.JPG
    P1200086.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 84
  • RIMG0787.jpg
    RIMG0787.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 95
  • P1190071.JPG
    P1190071.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 97
  • P6050149.JPG
    P6050149.JPG