Rocks and driftwood cleaning

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by Kennyhawk24, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kennyhawk24

Kennyhawk24 New Member

hi everyone, was wondering how to clean rocks and driftwood. I see them sold in the pet store but feel like they’d still need to be cleaned thoroughly before being put in blue tongue enclosure.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Melmy

Melmy Not so new Member

I would give it a scrub with some warm soapy water, rinse then spray with f10 and leave to dry. If you don’t have f10 you could give it a soak in a bleach solution

3. Blighty

Blighty Not so new Member

Yep, you have a few options. I used to soak for a day or two and then optionally chuck in the oven at about 110*C for 30 - 60 minutes or so.

If you had other concerns about creepy crawlies then I guess you could just chuck it in a garbage bag (if it fits), tie it up and leave in the sun for the day. That'll roast anything too, especially in summer.

These days though, if it looks good I tend to just chuck it in. I only really exercise heavy caution with the wood if it has come from swampland or areas with termites (not that I would be unlucky enough to bring a queen home, but still).

Herptology likes this.
  4. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

Rocks I just hose down and branches I put in a black plastic bag for a couple of days. No need for scrubbing and baking

Nero Egernia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.