Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just returned from a month over on the other side of the continent, exploring various parts of Western Australia. I'm posting pics and info on my blog, so I'll just copy and paste them here.

Stewart
---

Into the rat's nest

I've spent the last couple of days on Rottnest Island. Information on the island abounds, so this will just be a brief pictorial overview of my time on the island. I'm heading off to Shark Bay early tomorrow morning.

Rottnest is famous for many things, but none more so than its quokkas (Setonix brachyurus)

Quokka (Setonix brachyurus)

It was these rat-like creatures that earned the island its name. Rottnest supports a population of around 8,000 to 10,000 quokkas. You can see lots of them during the day seeking shelter under low bushes.

But it's during the night when you see just how many quokkas are around. When riding on the roads at night you need to swerve around these stocky marsupials.

But it's not all beer and skittles for quokkas, with many dying from lack or food and/or fresh water. Quokka carcasses are not uncommon.

Rottnest has quite a few reptile species, such the beautiful south-west spiny-tailed gecko (Strophurus spinigerus).

South-west spiny-tailed gecko (Strophurus spinigerus)

South-west spiny-tailed gecko (Strophurus spinigerus)

The island is home to an endemic subspecies of the dugite (a type of brown snake). This is the creature I was most hoping to encounter during my stay, and thankfully on the last day I ran into a couple.

Dugite (Pseudonaja affinis exilis)

I also found a juvenile Burton's legless lizard (Lialis burtonis) on the last day. He was soaking up some sun in the middle of a road.

Burton's legless lizard (Lialis burtonis)

And of course there are lots of birds.

that dugite is stunning,seems to be not overly bothered by your presence

the spiny tails are incredibly handsome also

WOW some great photo's, i think my favourite is the sunset with the Quokka and the first gecko picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back