Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast

Reaction score
Hey guys,

was just wondering if its possible to keep a stimsons python and a rough scaled python in the same encloser. i already have a stimsons python about 60cm long and was thinking of getting a rough scaled python...if not i guess ill just have to buy another cage

cheers

Don't be silly...
If you didn't know that you can't put them in the same enclosure, I don't think you know enough to be able to keep a Roughie...

Now way in all of hells name! roughies get to two meters long!

Last edited:
Now way in all of hells name! A Roughie can get 6 Meters, imagine a poor little 60cm stimson up against that. I dont think you are equipped or ready to keep a scrubby if you are asking these questions, maybe do some more research, but at least you are asking questions!
a roughie gets up to 6m? wouldn't that make it the biggest aussie snake instead of a scrubbie? =O

mate, my advice would be don't buy a roughie until you have kept some more snakes similar to it-very expensive mistake if you get it wrong with them!

a roughie gets up to 6m? wouldn't that make it the biggest aussie snake instead of a scrubbie? =O

Roughy / Scrubby..... same thing :lol:

It would be possible to keep them together if they were the same size and your enclosure was large enough and set up perfectly to suit both, though you should be highly experienced with both species and herps in general before attempting it.....

Totally my bad i thought they were the same snake? Learn something everyday, but anyway still no because they get to two meters

lol, rough scaled python 6m. if your paying over $1000 for a roughie and your gonna risk putting it in with a stimson youd have to be nuts!

I dont agree with everyon saying keep other things until you have enough exsperiance to keep a rough scaled python, obviously they dont get to 6m and I highly suggest dont keep one with a stimpsons python Im just wondering to all the people saying keep other snakes before you buy a roughy, what extra exsperiance do you need to keep a roughy?

Or is it just a simple thing that most people believe that the more exspensive a snake is the harder it is to keep?

I dont agree with everyon saying keep other things until you have enough exsperiance to keep a rough scaled python, obviously they dont get to 6m and I highly suggest dont keep one with a stimpsons python Im just wondering to all the people saying keep other snakes before you buy a roughy, what extra exsperiance do you need to keep a roughy?

Or is it just a simple thing that most people believe that the more exspensive a snake is the harder it is to keep?

i dont think the more expensive a snake is the harder it is to keep its more a lot more money to lose if you dont know how to look after any snake properly.

Also if youve only had your licence for a little while than you cant get a roughie as theyre class 2.

Roughies arent hard to keep at all, but if you cant afford to buy it its own enclosure than you shouldnt fork out around $1000 for a snake ....they are not harder to keep its just more of an expensive mistake to make before you build up your husbandry experience with 'cheaper' species. Also Im still yet to see a roughie that has hit the 2 metre mark...I love to see pics if anyone has some that are this size?

Thats not what i mean at all. I just think that you should be experienced with snakes before you fork out lots of money on one, so you are better prepared and have more confidence if an issue pops up. Not saying it can't be done at all, just saying it may not be the wisest decision.

Yeh i was kinda expecting this response its just that this dude i met the other day said that itd be alright but was just checking, didnt sound like a smart idea..

also i didnt think they'd found one yet that'd reached 2 meatres, thought they grew to about 1-1.5m? anyway nice snake was thinking getting one of those,a diamond or another stimmi for breading so...

i dont think many people put different breeds of snakes together, even breeders will keep snakes seperate untill breeding season.. just something to keep in mind

why the big deal with roughies?? its only a carpet!!

That's like saying that a scrubbie, gtp or oenpelli is just a carpet...

They're not harder to keep, but for beginners the antaresias are great snakes to start with - they're small, lovely natured and if they do bite, it doesn't hurt - have you seen a roughies teeth? But going from a stimmi to a roughie is slightly different. You need to understand the slight differences in enclosures, humidity, temperature etc etc. They may only be minor modifications but you still need to be aware of what your snake needs before you get it.
With roughies and stimmis you are a putting an arboreal snake in with a terrestrial desert snake. All snakes should be quarantined. Even with the same species you usually don't keep them together unless you are going to breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back