Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steph

Reaction score
Hey guys

I no that rough scaled pythons are suposed to be rare in Australia but i saw a few for sale on herp trader for like $3500 each yet they werent snaped up like i thought they would be, they were still there a week later and thats really cheap for them......so is there a market out there for them are people just not interested in them??? (even though there rare)

maby they were sold but the page wasnt updated
there is a market for them but by the prices most of them are there not realy an option for most people.

G'day Steph,

I'm a big fan of Rough Scale Pythons, but they aren't a big hit amongst a lot of keepers. They don't have the striking appearance of a well coloured Woma, Jungle or Green Python. Personally, I find them amazing because of their preference for such a limited habitat, their vulnerability to environmental change and their adaptations to the environment they live in.

They aren't a lucrative investment like some other species are. When they were released to the public 3 years ago they were $24,000 a pair, now they are $8000 a pair or cheaper. Compared to Green Pythons which have actually increased in price, they definitely aren't something you would want to purchase with the intention of making high profit margins.

I think a lot of people are holding of on buying these snakes because the price has dropped in them so quickly. It was only a couple of years ago that they were being sold for $12000 each and now, a couple of years later you can get them for $3500-$4500 each. Why bother spending that sort of money on a snake that you will be able to buy for around $500 in a couple more years. jmo.
Troy K

I'd have to disagree with some of the opinions given, and not just because i own them. The problem is that people are not familiar with them. They haven't been in captivity long and only 1 person has been breeding them up until recently. They have also totally controlled the pricing of this animal and now owners are scared of not covering the costs they outlayed for these beautiful unique pythons.

They are a beautiful docile python easily handled with lots of interesting features. This python has hardly been studied in a scientific capacity and a lot of it's bizzare traits are simply not known to the reptile community.

I think there appeal will increase as more become familiar with them.

I think it will be quite some time before they are $500. They have small clutches averaging around 12 and they are not even allowed to be kept in Victoria yet!

How could anyone not be intrigued by this bizzare unknown relic. It's grey blue eyes, it's colour morphing ability, it's strange defensive behaviour of approaching and then retreating several times (often bearing massive teeth) which is generally a bluff. It's sandpaper like feel sliding through your hands and the beautiful reverse banding toward the tail section. I love the natural colouration and it's ability to move from chocolate to grey in a few moments (generally in the abscence of light)!

Who really couldn't love these;-

I couldn't wait to obtain several and i will be keeping more from when i breed.

Attachments

• rsp2 (600 x 400).jpg
    rsp2 (600 x 400).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 264
  • rsp eye (600 x 400).jpg
    rsp eye (600 x 400).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 219
  • rsp tail (600 x 400).jpg
    rsp tail (600 x 400).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 289
a few more pics taken by pugsly

Attachments

• pugrsp (600 x 450).jpg
    pugrsp (600 x 450).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 129
  • pugrsp2 (600 x 450).jpg
    pugrsp2 (600 x 450).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 123
  • pugrsp3 (600 x 450).jpg
    pugrsp3 (600 x 450).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 175
  • pugrsp4 (600 x 450).jpg
    pugrsp4 (600 x 450).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 110
If we could keep them here in victoria i would get them....

I reacon they are a beautiful animal......

Wish our laws where alittle different as to what we can keep but such is life.

Some people love the look of them, some people regard them as nasty looking Morelia. Out of all the animals we've seen in the flesh only one was mindblowing. The rest were very average. Similar to other Morelia i supose, It all comes down to personal preference i guess.....

I aggree the price will continue to fall. Hell, it still is. An adult pair were advertised at $22k a few weeks ago, now the same pair has dropped to $16k ($8k less than original 'retail' price)! There are also hatchlings available for $6750 per pair, $17,250 price drop in 3 years. The rapid fall makes people, like us, reluctant to buy them. In saying that, if you realy love an animal who cares what you pay for it!

We like them but most of the specimens seen we'd only pay $1000 for, special animals i'd go as high as $2000-$2500 (like Swampies). As Troy said, we'll wait a few more years. Like i said though, it all comes down to what blows your hair back! I've offered rediculous bucks for animals people wouldn't look twice at.....

Sorry if i offended anyone. Different strokes for different folks.......

All the best
Den

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with some of the opinions given, and not just because i own them. The problem is that people are not familiar with them. They haven't been in captivity long and only 1 person has been breeding them up until recently. They have also totally controlled the pricing of this animal and now owners are scared of not covering the costs they outlayed for these beautiful unique pythons.

They are a beautiful docile python easily handled with lots of interesting features. This python has hardly been studied in a scientific capacity and a lot of it's bizzare traits are simply not known to the reptile community.

I think there appeal will increase as more become familiar with them.

I think it will be quite some time before they are $500. They have small clutches averaging around 12 and they are not even allowed to be kept in Victoria yet!

How could anyone not be intrigued by this bizzare unknown relic. It's grey blue eyes, it's colour morphing ability, it's strange defensive behaviour of approaching and then retreating several times (often bearing massive teeth) which is generally a bluff. It's sandpaper like feel sliding through your hands and the beautiful reverse banding toward the tail section. I love the natural colouration and it's ability to move from chocolate to grey in a few moments (generally in the abscence of light)!

Who really couldn't love these;-

I couldn't wait to obtain several and i will be keeping more from when i breed.

Nice pics Hazzard!

I have to agree with Hazzy and Jonno on this one. They are my most desired reptile that I dont have.

Out of all the ''different'' critters like white olives and white darwins ect, the only animal I love more in Aussie collections are Chondros, hence the reason why I got them first.

Even at $1000 each ( which they wont be for years) it is very easy money to re kindle any outlay that one has spent to aquire a colony of these amsome Morelia.

I will be getting a few this season , as they have intreigued me for too long now.

NIck

Hey nice looking coastal you got there Hazz (haha).

I have always liked the appeal of the RSP but I won't be going out of my way to own one at that price. For sure, if they were below $1000 each I'd consider it, just like I considered BHPs.

maby they were sold but the page wasnt updated.

hi Stringbean :)

I genereally have the pages on the HerpTrader updated daily if not every few hours. ;)
At the top of each page you will see when it was last updated.
The 'snakes' page was updated last night around 10:30PM and then again just now at 8:10AM.
I can only mark ads sold when the advertiser lets me know they have sold. :)

Cheers, Judy (aka HerpTrader)

i have never heard of them before, but judging by they pics they look cool!

If I had the money I would buy one, they are amazing looking things!

are they from port mac hazz? :):)..... they are a snake i would love a pair thanks hazzy :)

Getting into them now, or in the next few years you'd see a return on your investment for sure. If you paid the asking price from 3 years ago your return wouldn't be great obviously. Lucky alot of people chose to trade rather than outlay cash! Our point is out of personal preference, we'd rather put the same amount of cash onto an animal that is more apealing to us and that hasn't plumetted in value to the same degree! Like Den said though, if an animal intrigues and attracts you who cares what you pay for it!

We like them, and will get them but only after we acquire other species that are more desirable to us. By then the price will be more apealing also. JMO
Troy K.

Last edited:
i used to stare at the photo of the single preserved specimen that existed back in the eighties... and i was really excited when i saw them live when we went "backstage" at the reptile park for the 50th anniversary of the herp society....
i don't understand those who denigrate their looks, surely there rarity in the wild makes them attractive enough

Yeah the rarity, seclusion of their enviroment etc makes them intrigueing. We're not meaning to offend anyone, just saying that they aren't our cup of tea for the unstable and constantly dropping price!:)

As said earlier, it all comes back to what blows your hair back. Some people think Greens are just glorified carpets and wouldn't pay more than $500 for them. I personally am amazed by them so will pay the asking price without any thought of trying to change the persons opinion. Each to their own.........

You know what they say about opinions............ Everyone has one;);):):)

Den

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back