Run in with the boss...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a whinge....

I have started work in a new department at Coles. Been working in Bakery for 6 weeks. I had a run in with my department manager this morning. I was at work at 4:40am waiting to start at 5am. Three others were there also and one person we thought was coming, who had the key to the supermarket, didn't turn up. I drove away to a work colleague's house to see if she had a key. She didn't but she rang our bakery manager and told her. SHE (boss lady) wanted to speak to me and abused me. I wasn't at work yesterday but she yelled at me for being ridiculously irresponsible for not checking our rosters to find out if I needed a key. I tried to tell her I didn't know I had to but she wouldn't wear the excuse. Reducing me to tears my work mate took back the phone and defended me while I headed off to someone else's place, looking for a key. Still upset the other person's partner answered the door. I could not talk but eventually muttered I needed his key to the building. Got back to work, all of us half hour late, and opened up. Others saw me upset I told them my story and all beleive that it wasn't my fault. I spent hour and a half crying, waiting for **** to hit the fan when the bosses got in, working with hot ovens in the dark because I did not know where the light switches were (later found out they were upstairs in the store manager's office). SHE comes in and has another blast at me in the presence of other workers. But behind HER back they were giving me the thumbs up that I was not responsible. She spent rest of shift being really nice to me which peed me off even more. I went to my store manager at end of my shift and told him the situation and it seems I have a very good case for harassment. Store Manager says it was not my fault and it is not the responsibility of a casual worker to chase up other workers rosters and chase up keys on days they are not at work. He said if team members require keys, and aren't at work day before, its up the managers to deliver the key to that team member. So cop that boss lady!!!! I told him she abused me, reduced me to tears, and I worked in near pitch black coz I didn't know the switches were up 2 flights of stairs and at other end of store in the managers office. I also told him I withdrew from a TAFE course to pursue my work in the bakery because I really like that job. Prefer to cook than wipe bums - just get rid of dragon lady and all will be sweet.

I am starting to feel better now. Needed a whinge, thats it. Thanks for reading :D

Poor Kathy, you really are a gentle soul, aren't you?

Unfortunately it can be like this all over. I have two bosses (father and son) and it is pure hell to work for them. They know far less, and have less experience than me about the trade. I despise them with all my heart and would get much satisfaction from urinating on their graves when they die (if they die before me!). One minute they are trying to be your best friend, with a pat on the back. The next minute they are screaming at you to make decisions for them because they haven't got a clue, or they are pushing you very hard to work faster because they realised that they've under-quoted and will lose money.

It's a difficult situation to be in. You need the money, but you also have your pride and don't deserve to have anyone make you feel incompetent.

Worlds full of tossers girl, if you know you are right, then they know they are wrong.....what comes around....

OMG!! I am overwhelmed by the responses I have. Thank you all, very much, for your support. There really are some thoughtful ppl here.

Joy - I did have an orientation 14 months ago but not everyone was informed about the light switches. Only managereal staff knew and those who needed to know. But when I started at the Bakery about 6 weeks ago, I did not receive any formal training, just learning what I needed as it propped up. At yours and wranga's advice, I am in the middle of writing up a letter of concern for our OH & S officer. I am always looking out for the safety of my team members and wouldn't want anybody else being where I was on Friday. Specially now that I know HER boss wiped me from responsibility I got over it quick and now thinking better :D

Awww Nick thankyou for your hugs....hehehe....I am quite a woose when it comes to standing up for my rights. I hate being yelled at... :oops: I feel for you, with your bosses. Some ppl abuse their positions and don't like admitting when they are wrong.

Cockney my mind is always strong and brave. I just wonder if I and strong in the backbone to stand up to her from here on.....lol

laxettes in a nice hot chocolate will work a treat Kath ..she will think your being all ok with her,making a lovely cuppa dont for get to add some marshmallows ..and BINGO she hits the loo at 100 km an hour ...and her gut is turning inside out and you can sit back and have a inner giggle to yourself .. ;)

LMAO RBB you're a naughty woman....hehehe...but I am gonna remember that on April Fools Day. Thank you for the tip.... :lol:

i dont know why anyone would put up with it . really duz the money mean that much to u ? u know what she is like now - id be looking for another job .... once u find another job , tell the boss to go and get knotted and give her a earfull .

there is much to be said about a punch to the neck

My best friend is a worksafe inspector for workplace bullying. If your boss thinks you have a case, and there are plenty of witnesses then you could file a complaint. Especially if the store manager has your back. Though i think bullying is something that is classed as repeated. if this type of treatment continues, and she does in front of everyone, dont hold back, lodge a complaint.
Good luck.
Rox

why go to the trouble of laxettes? 1 -2 drops of the eye treatment Murine in coffee only 1-2 drops as it is very bitter - will have the same effect

i dont know why anyone would put up with it . really duz the money mean that much to u ? u know what she is like now - id be looking for another job .... once u find another job , tell the boss to go and get knotted and give her a earfull .

Yeah Zoo :( Actually the money does mean that much to me. Prior to this job I was in such a financial rut, I sold my pair of olive pythons to register my car. I need the money to keep my hobby. But the more I talk to ppl, the more I am learning about my rights and while the manager is backing me I am no longer afraid of her.

I just learnt, too, that this particular woman is only acting supervisor for the bakery as the last supervisor walked out without notice. And this woman has pledged if she does not get the permanent job she is leaving so I am happy to bide it out and hope the next person isn't like her. :)

Jen and RBB I like your train of thoughts :lol: very cheeky lol

You shouldn't be chastised in front of work mates, that is unprofessional and harrassment.

I am not saying i agree with what your supervisor did at all but everyone has bad days and maybe you just copped the brunt of it. I am sure everyone on here has taken stuff out on people who didnt deserve it. Maybe they had a big fight with there partner last night, maybe there dog died....who knows......I know in my last business that a little bit of pressure/stress on a bad day felt like A LOT of pressure/stress. People shouldnt bring there personal problems to work but sometimes its hard to leave them behind.

It sounds like she just really over reacted and went way over the top in this situation. If you know you are in the right I would just let it slide and get on with your job.....if it continues to happen then definately take it further as that type of behaviour is not very professional but on a more personal level everyone has their bad days.

I do agree with mrmikk's comment about flaming you in front of other peope....that is not on.

Hopefully next week is better for you....

.....Though i think bullying is something that is classed as repeated. if this type of treatment continues, and she does in front of everyone, dont hold back, lodge a complaint.
Good luck. Rox

I will tell my work colleagues this as Boss Lady will not have it any other way than to down someone in front of others. We think her motive is to have witnesses around so that discussions can't be twisted but nobody is happy with it. Thank you Roxy. Will definitely mention this to the woman herself. It might just pull her back a peg or two.

You're right Mrmik it is harassment. But I can only file a complaint if I have cautioned the offender first. Stupid eh, but at the time, I let her tell me I was at fault so didn't think I had a leg to stand on. Now I know better. Holy crap I am on tomorrow with HER and we are the only two. I got the key today but she didn't look at me or say a word to me so am wondering if the store manager said anything.

OMG!! I am overwhelmed by the responses I have. Thank you all, very much, for your support. There really are some thoughtful ppl here.

Joy - I did have an orientation 14 months ago but not everyone was informed about the light switches. Only managereal staff knew and those who needed to know. But when I started at the Bakery about 6 weeks ago, I did not receive any formal training, just learning what I needed as it propped up. At yours and wranga's advice, I am in the middle of writing up a letter of concern for our OH & S officer. I am always looking out for the safety of my team members and wouldn't want anybody else being where I was on Friday. Specially now that I know HER boss wiped me from responsibility I got over it quick and now thinking better :D

Awww Nick thankyou for your hugs....hehehe....I am quite a woose when it comes to standing up for my rights. I hate being yelled at... :oops: I feel for you, with your bosses. Some ppl abuse their positions and don't like admitting when they are wrong.

Cockney my mind is always strong and brave. I just wonder if I and strong in the backbone to stand up to her from here on.....lol

You are doing the right thing. That manageress isn't top of the ladder, so she is answerable to someone, and I can bet that her manager has had a few chews on her shell-like! Yes, there IS a case for harrassment there, and the letter to your OH&S member should glean results for you. If not, then contact with your states OH&S Authority is next on the cards. For the sakes of those coming after you, as well as for yourself, you owe it to everyone to do that. Stop her in her tracks and make her realise that there are consequences for her actions.

She had no right whatsoever to do what she did.

I am not saying i agree with what your supervisor did at all but everyone has bad days and maybe you just copped the brunt of it. I am sure everyone on here has taken stuff out on people who didnt deserve it. Maybe they had a big fight with there partner last night, maybe there dog died....who knows......I know in my last business that a little bit of pressure/stress on a bad day felt like A LOT of pressure/stress. People shouldnt bring there personal problems to work but sometimes its hard to leave them behind.

It sounds like she just really over reacted and went way over the top in this situation. If you know you are in the right I would just let it slide and get on with your job.....if it continues to happen then definately take it further as that type of behaviour is not very professional but on a more personal level everyone has their bad days.

I do agree with mrmikk's comment about flaming you in front of other peope....that is not on.

Hopefully next week is better for you....

There is NO EXCUSE for treating someone like this person did, bad day or not. If she is a manager, then she is in a proviledged position where she CAN do what she likes, to a point, but NOT that.............. if she is in that position, it's because she must have demonstrated the ability to handle pressure, and she should have!! Whether in front of others or not, you just don't TREAT someone in a lower position that way - NO MATTER WHAT. Sorry, I have to completely disagree with you trying to make it sound not so bad.

dipcdame - anywhere in there did i say i thought it was an acceptable way of treating someone?

As I said I am sure that everyone has had a bad day and taken it out on someone who didnt deserve it so maybe before going all out the supervisor take that into account and if it happens again then pursue it.......I am sure that mysnakesau would be pretty annoyed if she had one bad day and flew off the handle a work and got fired on the spot for it.

I know how managers/directors/owners are meant to behave.

I do not know the supervisor personally and she may well be a total b***h but an error in judgement of this level, while not acceptable, should not be enough to crucify someone.

I am not condoning the supervisors behaviour but everyone is human and has their moments/days wether you are an employee, supervisor, manager, owner......

Yes, we are all entitled to our off days, but still no excuse for treating someone like she did, bad enough she did it once, but to continue it for a SECOND time in front of others too? Naw, sorry, inexcuseable.

dipcadme - so do you think she, the supervisor, should lose her job because of it? Are you a business owner? employee? manager?

I am not wanting to sound antagonizing or be rude I am just interested in your opinion . I am interested in your employment position so I can try and understand where you are coming from.

Last edited:
dipcadme - so do you think she, the supervisor, should lose her job because of it? Are you a business owner? employee? manager?

I am not wanting to sound antagonizing or be rude I am just interested in your opinion - i like having "discussions" not arguments. I am interested in your employment position so I can try and understand where you are coming from.

Disciplinary action would take into account any previous issues with this lady. The only reason why she would get fired is if this kind of attitude has happened on a number of occasions before.

Should she be reported? Most definately
Should she be fired? If she is then most defaintely. Companies dont fire people for once off disputes between staff.

Mysnakes, you really started something!! LOL
I don't think the woman should be sacked, but as with workers too, if you do wrong by someone, then you should expect consequenses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back