Running heat cord of solar

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewHenderson

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how many panels I'd need to run 4 80w heat cords off solar power? I'd like it to be a portable system if it's possible.

Cheers

Andrew

Try going to Jaycar electronics they sell small panels and controllers/ inverters they should be able to advise you. Alternatively you could try the bigger 4WD accessory stores like ARB as you see lots of 4WD's and caravans with them now.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find 320W worth of solar panels for anything less than an arm and a leg. 200W from the Jaycar online shop are $700 each

I think you'd be hard pressed to find 320W worth of solar panels for anything less than an arm and a leg. 200W from the Jaycar online shop are $700 each
That is right and also you may need bigger panels than the wattage you require because of losses and to allow for when the panels aren't running at full power due to cloud or when the sun isn't at an optimal angle. A question for the OP, what is the reason you want to be portable. Generators would be a lot easier for this purpose in my opinion.

I just realised my first response didn't really answer your question so if you are willing to fork out the cash (and Andy's generator suggestion doesn't appeal to you), you will just need to work out a couple of things. First, I'd look for inverters. These convert the DC (usually 24V) from the panels to 240VAC. There will be losses in this so have a look at the efficiency info that should be published for it. If you're running 320W worth of heat cord and it's a 90% efficient inverter, you need 356W to compensate for the drop. Also, like Andy said, the panels won't be working at their optimum output when it's cloudy and stuff. From memory, they will have an average output somewhere between really cloudy to full sun so you need to choose them according to that figure rather than the peak, full sun figure. Also, if you're running them on a thermostat, there will be losses in that. I think with today's technology they are pretty good so it won't be much but may still need to be taken into account.

The other thing you might need to think about is running the heat cords during the night, which will require a battery backup system that will cost you some more of your hard earned moneys. And if you do plan on running them 24/7 you will probably want to aim for around ~800watts of panels assuming 90%+ efficiency on the inverter.

(I used to run the lighting for my marine fish tank off solar.)

this brings up a question i was thinking about,might make a thread for it......how many herpers took the plunge and put solar on to try alleviate the power bill rises?? and how successful has it been?

this brings up a question i was thinking about,might make a thread for it......how many herpers took the plunge and put solar on to try alleviate the power bill rises?? and how successful has it been?
That is a pretty interesting subject and I bet there are some upset people since the government changed the legislation around solar.

The other side of it is how much does 320w cost to run off mains power?

The other side of it is how much does 320w cost to run off mains power?

About $2.60 a day assuming your tariff is 34c per kWh and they are running continuously for the full 24hrs which they don't if they are on a thermostat. This is around $960 a year, in reality I would guess less than half that if you factor in off cycles and higher ambient temps in summer.

I have a 3kw solar system on my house, I have not had a bill since I have been running all the enclosures, it will be interesting to see how the bill is, if it is too much I think my wife may kill me, I told her it won't cost any thing because of the solar

Just got home to find my power bill in the mail, opened it up and what a relief, $41 and that's only because of the GST

Baturb, Just out of curiosity how big a power bill did you average before solar??? I average around $1000 per quater so am thinking I would have to look at around 10kw if i plan on getting free power.

Baturb, Just out of curiosity how big a power bill did you average before solar??? I average around $1000 per quater so am thinking I would have to look at around 10kw if i plan on getting free power.

ouch 10kw?! If a single panel is able to absorb 240w of energy, you'd need what 42 panels?

im getting a 5kW system installed today which is 18 panels. My bill is usually 800-1k which hopefully offsets it. Time will tell I guess.

my bills vary depending on if the wife runs the air con for cooling or heating, but average was summer and winter $900 and spring autum $650-750, all up we got the solar before the feed in dropped a couple of years ago so we get a good feed in, but I am glad we have solar now, since having solar our biggest bill has been around $150 in the middle of winter when the heater was on day and night and not much sun in the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back