S p i d e r id needed please !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekiel86

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Need An ID on this spider...Seen it 3 nights ago walking across my lawn about 11 at night...just bought a new puppy and all I can say is lucky I seen it b4 her.. :shock:
I had to get rid of it for the pups sake...I have a HUGE orb that makes like 8 foot wide webs across 2 tree but the puppy is not going to climb a tree to eat it..plus I love watching her spin her huge web in new spots..:lol:

Now the second night SAME kind of Spider but even bigger walking across my lawn..
Is this a joke...to big nasty looking spiders within 24hours..
I have never seen one of these b4..
It would of been palm length but only half that wide...

what is it?
How bad is it?
why are they 2 within 24hours...spider problem...or just ramdom as?

THANKS A MILLION :D
Zeke

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 312
it looks like it and the rest of its kind are evil. i tend to go with funnel web. argh, my skin is crawling just looking at it. id definately keep your puppy away from it.

i could be a female funnel web or even a female wolf spider i wouldnt like to pick it up and see though

male funnel webs are known to go wandering at night looking for a mating partner.....i'd be inclined to say that may be what you have there. female would be darker and fatter i think.

And what about the hundred odd nasty bugs that live in your yard that you never see? If you're worried, catch em and chuck em over your neighbours fence, but you can never protect your pup from the big, wild world that is your backyard! Just hope and pray that your pup develops an awareness of bugs and doesn't try and eat them. Unlike mine, who ate a centipede, and then went to the vet, and had 3 injections.

Isn't it only the female funnel web that is dangerous? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's actually the male that is the most dangerous, but the females are dangerous as well.

It looks like a trapdoor spider, harmless to people but can be dangerous to cats and dogs. However, I'm not 100% sure it's a trapdoor and there's a small chance it could be a funnel web so still be cautious.

images
does it look like that???? thats a funnel web!! u can tell its a funnel web if u piss it off it will rare up at you! if it dont and try run away i wouldnt be to worried about it!! but still good ideas to get rid of them!!! but plz dont kill em!! just move em!!

Ugly looking thing I'd be bringing in pest control!!!!

it really isnt necessary to kill it... you just have the same attitude as all the people who think the only good snake is a dead snake. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it has to die.

hey hey thanks for the replys! Been Talkin to few people that kind of know spiders and say no to funnel web an trapdoor family.. I spent so long looking because I have never seen one and to big ones in 2 nights is weird for here! Looked at million pics of funnel webs and traps and even into the mouse spider family that looks like the funnel web but no luck! Had fair bright orange body and bands on knuckels of legs .. Also big set of eyes clear to see with flashlight ... Also longer body spider.. Still would love to here ideas or what family maybe it's from!
Thanks again !!!
Zeke

Isn't it only the female funnel web that is dangerous? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
They used to think that then they realised it is the male

It's actually the male that is the most dangerous, but the females are dangerous as well.

It looks like a trapdoor spider, harmless to people but can be dangerous to cats and dogs. However, I'm not 100% sure it's a trapdoor and there's a small chance it could be a funnel web so still be cautious.
You beat me but I am pretty sure your wrong about the females being dangerous, it is something to do with the poison that they use when battling each other and only the males have it.

Richoman_3, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge on this subject and it's great to see someone your age take such an interest in invertebrates, as they can be a touchy subject. Keep up the good work mate. When the season starts up again I'll see what I can do about gettin some of our pedes sent up your way as im very interested in the diversity between species and locality.

Richoman_3, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge on this subject and it's great to see someone your age take such an interest in invertebrates, as they can be a touchy subject. Keep up the good work mate. When the season starts up again I'll see what I can do about gettin some of our pedes sent up your way as im very interested in the diversity between species and locality.

thanks mate :D, appreciated :)

this spider could be a trappy, a better pic will clear it up, that pattern on its abdomen puts it off :?. i was thinking a species of wishbone trappy, a better pic will help if you find more :)

The venom of the male Sydney Funnel-web Spider is very toxic. This is because male spider venom contains a unique component called Robustoxin (d-Atracotoxin-Ar1) that severely and similarly affects the nervous systems of humans and monkeys, but not of other mammals (a difficulty for 'creation science' which believe in a special creation for humanity). The absence of this chemical from female Sydney Funnel-web Spider venom explains why bites by these females have not caused any deaths. However, not all funnel-web species show such a large gender-based difference in venom toxicity. Almost four million people live in the Sydney region, the centre of the distribution of the Sydney Funnel-web Spider. This makes the likelihood of human encounters with this spider much greater than in less urbanised areas like the Blue Mountains.
Funnel-web Spiders - Australian Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back