Salamanders & Newts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cid_python

Reaction score
Are we allowd to keep salamanders and newts in Australia? I know a few people that own them.

We can keep Axolotyls and it is possible (though not easy) to morph them into Salamanders, they are they only legal ones in Oz although they are a few getting around being sold as morphed axos but clearly are not

Unfortunately newts were made illegal some years ago. You used to be able to buy them in some aquariums.

Axolotyls or mexican walking fish are readily available and these can and do change into salamanders sometimes and are sold as pets.

What newts does your friend have???

Im not quit shore what type they are but I know they have them. They have sort of a faint orange stripe down the back of them and are blacky brown.

what do you guys mean by morphing axolotls into salamanders ?
i would love some newts and salamanders :)

Axos are the "tadpole" stage of a Salamanders life but they can live their entire life without morphing

Funny this topic came up. I was in a pet shop today and they had a salamander advertised as a salamander with a care sheet. I can't remember the name of it or it's scientific name but it was smaller than an axolotl and completely black/dark brown.
Thought that was a bit odd. Might have to go back and have another look at some stage..

Axos are the "tadpole" stage of a Salamanders life but they can live their entire life without morphing

so are you saying there is a chance of them morphing ?

are axos coldwater ? and what size tank usually for them ... cheers :)

I always wanted a Mexican walking fish as a child Im not quite sure what a newt is I'm guessing it's similar ? Pic up anyone

I could be wrong.. But isn't it illegal to morph them into salamanders? Also I'm pretty sure it can go horribly wrong and more than halfs there life span..

The newts that used to be available in Australian Aquariums were the Common or Smooth Newt - from Europe, and the Japanese Fire Bellied Newt.

I remember catching these newts as a kid in the UK and keeping them for a while then releasing them back into the garden pond.

I would love to keep them again :(

ive heard that the gene that allows them to morph has been pretty well bredd out of the captive populations so you could end up killin them insted

I remember seeing fire bellied newts at pet city in Brisbane about 15 years ago, i would have bought them if the sales guy didnt BS about needing to spend hundreds of dollars on stuff that i now know isnt needed, then again many pet shops do the same thing with any animal.

Assuming they were legally imported to start with what laws would prevent them from being kept? Im wouldnt doubt there are some but we are allowed to keep cane toads and axolotls in Qld.

I have morphed a few over the years without any issues.I also can't see how it would be illegal to do so.

ive heard that the gene that allows them to morph has been pretty well bredd out of the captive populations so you could end up killin them insted

Im not 100% sure on this but as far as i know the species doesnt normally morph naturally. There are a few types of salamanders that breed at juvenile stage and dont morph into the typical adult salamander.

I have morphed a few over the years without any issues.I also can't see how it would be illegal to do so.

Im pretty sure its banned under animal cruelty laws in some states, although it may depend on the method used to manipulate the animal. From what i have heard they are retarded and cant really live properly without special care onced morphed, is that true?

retarded?!?!?! I don't think so.

They are fully capable of living normal lives once morphed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back