Salamanders & Newts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty sure its banned under animal cruelty laws in some states, although it may depend on the method used to manipulate the animal. From what i have heard they are retarded and cant really live properly without special care onced morphed, is that true?

Would like to see any such legislation.
I never had any issues keeping them alive,as far as special care went just a moist environment was supplied.Not sure what you mean about retarded.

Funny this topic came up. I was in a pet shop today and they had a salamander advertised as a salamander with a care sheet. I can't remember the name of it or it's scientific name but it was smaller than an axolotl and completely black/dark brown.
Thought that was a bit odd. Might have to go back and have another look at some stage..
I know the exact one your talking about, the shop keeper that was there at the time couldnt tell me a thing about them but from what I could tell it looked exactly the same as morphed axos iv seen.

This topic was discussed at tafe this week lol

Axos that are sold in pet shops come from a specific gene that lived in iodine deficient waters so couldn't morph into salamanders, but could reproduce at the larval stage.
The teacher didn't go into specifics about how to morph them cause she didn't want everyone going home and trying it lol. And the chemicals arn't as readily available these days. She had 3 salamanders, one died in a few days, one lasted a few months, the other lived on for 10 years i think she said.
You'd care for them pretty much the same as a frog.

I havn't heard of any laws forbiding morphing.

They available in quite a few pet shops around Sydney, morphing them is down with iodine and reducing the water level, its not an easy process and apparently you will kill a few trying to figure it out.
Maybe Ramsayi can enlighten us on how its done?

Would like to see any such legislation.
I never had any issues keeping them alive,as far as special care went just a moist environment was supplied.Not sure what you mean about retarded.

I thought that they need to be hand fed or something and wernt able to catch there own food. I read about it being illegal on this site but cant remember which state it was although im pretty sure it wasnt Qld.

How do you morph them?

Just had a look and found the old thread that i started a few years ago, i have read other stuff about them but after reading some of this stuff it seemed a bit wrong (not to say the info on this thread is definately fact).
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-reptiles-40/axolotls-38058/

You can also morph them with thyroid hormone injections if you can get your hands on it.

You can buy morphed salamanders they are called marbled salamanders I think but they can't breed or anything they are just morphed axoltals seen some avaiable on wholesale lists but rarely

I thought that they need to be hand fed or something and wernt able to catch there own food. I read about it being illegal on this site but cant remember which state it was although im pretty sure it wasnt Qld.

H
All the ones Iv seen were quite capable of catching their own food

Some facts:

Morphing, in this context, sounds like creating some unusual creature. The proper term is "metamorphoses" and it is a natural developmental stage in amphibians. The nymphs (axotls) live in iodine deficient waters (in the wild), which prevents metamorphoses. They are able to reproduce in nymph (larval) stage but not as adults (salamanders). The ability to reproduce in a larval stage is called "neoteny".
To induce metamorphoses in captivity, the axotls has to be fed thyroid gland, iodine has to be added (in gradual doses) into their water and the water level gradually lowered.

I know the exact one your talking about, the shop keeper that was there at the time couldnt tell me a thing about them but from what I could tell it looked exactly the same as morphed axos iv seen.

Ah well I've never seen a 'morphed' axo before so I wasn't sure what they looked like. That possibility did cross my mind though, but I thought it looked way too small. I might ask them about it next time I'm there haha (dunno when that'll be...I stopped going to them ages ago).

Ah well I've never seen a 'morphed' axo before so I wasn't sure what they looked like. That possibility did cross my mind though, but I thought it looked way too small. I might ask them about it next time I'm there haha (dunno when that'll be...I stopped going to them ages ago).
Are they any better alternatives in the area?, I just go there cos they have a decent range and I dont like going to Petbarn

anyone got some pic so we can all see what they look like?

Are they any better alternatives in the area?, I just go there cos they have a decent range and I dont like going to Petbarn

I go to All Things Slimey. I'll go to Petbarn or the 'other one' if I can't make it out there 'cause it is a bit of a drive. Worth it I think though.

I go to All Things Slimey. I'll go to Petbarn or the 'other one' if I can't make it out there 'cause it is a bit of a drive. Worth it I think though.
I think il stick with local shops.
I didnt make it the the pet shop today, il post a pic as soon as i do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back