Salt water crocodile enclosure help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well said brodie people who have no idear about them are having a go at some one wanting to know and learn i my self have kept a saltie and he was a plessure to deal with i have also delt with freshies and lets say there fun :twisted:
i'm now in the process of saving for a new one + setup if you whould like to know more feel free to pm me with any questions

cheers westie

Moreliaman said:
any latin name on these pygmy crocs ?

I know someone will correct me Mark but from recollection it is merely a morph of crocodilus Johnsonni

Oh, and Mr Soccer Fan, I Envy you being in vic. I would also love a croc.

I have no problem with someone keeping a Salwater Croc as a pet, it was only this line that bothered me.. "if gets too big jus pass it to a zoo or a breeder.."

I can see your concerns Mr Bredli, over here we have problems with Iggys, Retics, Annacondas etc, (and thats just the reptiles) All too big & no-one wants them. unfortunatly most kept because they wanted a pet which gave a certain impression to other people! :roll:
Personally i think that Leigh is going the right way about it, and that is asking before she goes out and buys one, alot over here never even bother with that ! :(

For those interested in Croc husbandary or wanting to research one for an addition to the collection visit
www.crocodilian.com by Adam Brittan and click on the CROCODILIAN CAPTIVE CARE FAQ.
It's a must read and very informative.

Pete
The artical that mentioned the 'pygmy morp' for Crocodylus johnstoni or Sandstone Freshwater crocodile was in Reptiles Australia magazine Vol 2 Issue 2 " The Reptile Adventure of a Lifetime Awaits on Bullo River Station, NT by DR Gavin Bedford

hope this helps

I agree, I mean come on, why get one if you don't intend to be in it for the long haul....Like why not do it properley and set it up so you can keep it for good. As in do something and do it well.

....Otherwise it's like having a kid until they get too big, expensive or talk back too much, then passing them in to foster care or kicking them out and letting them fend for themselves. Different species, same principle.

At the end of the day, the decision is of course yours, but maybe spare a thought for the croc rather than just your own wants....just a thought.

Poor crocky!! :cry:

misky said:
MrBredli said:
What a great idea, i'm going to go and buy a puppy, than after 12 months when it starts to get too big i'll just take it to the pound and get a new one :roll:

My thoughts exactly MrBredli

hey guys and gals !! leigh ya doin the right thing i think they would be the maddest pets too keep !! just out of curiosity everyone which states are allowed too keep crocadiles???

thanks heaps kahn

Obviously you can in NT and Vic but beyond that I don't know...

I agree, I mean come on, why get one if you don't intend to be in it for the long haul....Like why not do it properley and set it up so you can keep it for good. As in do something and do it well.

Not every one is in a rural zoned area and so cannont keep one long term. So why keep one at all? Well I thought about it but I don't have the room for a 4 foot tank. But it would be a cool little critter to have in your home. The kids would learn a great deal about them and that is always good, and how many kids could say that they had a croc as a pet? Yes you have to give them back to the farm but these crocs are bred to be made into hand bags anyway and will be after he's handed back and grown out some more. But the 14 or so months it is with a family has to be better than being in a croc farm I would think.

leigh i think your doing the right thing. Guys seriously stop giving negative comments. The reason some states can only keep them to 60cm is purely safety in a neighbourhood situation. Honestly how many ppl have the room and equipment to keep a 6m plus saltie in their backyard? They could eat your neighbours children lol. You ever tried handling a 6m croc? I wouldnt imagine its easy. Ive done years of volunteer work at australia zoo, including crocs, think about it you negative ppl. Its not wrong to go back to the croc farm and trade it in for another smaller one. Puppys are different. Dogs are a companion animal, a life long pet. Crocodiles are not considered companion pets. Your doing the right thing by taking it back to the croc farm where its got the room and care it needs. Good on you Leigh for doing the research first, good luck with it!

Ummm...this post is over a year old, in fact I believe Leigh already has a freshy these days...

...generally considered poor form to resurrect ead posts...

indeed, very old post.
have a freshy now and will be keeping it till the day i die.
have everything sorted for when its larger also.

I just had to have my 2 cents lol. Didnt realise it was so old, just stumbled across the post. Just curiosity what sort of enclosure have you got for the freshy? Im not interested in getting one, im just curious. Thanks

Bit irresponsible to knowingly purchase a beautiful animal that you have set a death sentence for it. How about you go visit a zoo every now and then? Got nothing wrong with owning a croc but its a bit unfair to buy it then send it to the slaughter house when your enjoyments satisfied.

Hi hows it goin guys. Im a new member and just calling in to say hello and tell you abit about myself. My names and im 16. I have 1 red eyed tree frog and 1 freshwater croc:p . I have previously owned green tree frogs, eastern blue tongues, jacky dragons, eastern water dragons, black rock scorpions, bearded dragons and i am also interested in fish. I have a barramundi and a big red oscar along with some other tropical fish.

Just a quick question for the people out there who know a bit or two about crocs, i live in vic and just wondering, when my croc gets too big for his 6x2x2ft tank i want to move him outside into my backyard. What type of heating will he require outdoors and how will i provide this for him?

Any help is greatly appreciated and feel free to ask me anything aswell. Cheers Dave.:)

Titan Da Freshie,
You will require a large shed or similar with an outdoor fenced area with access during the warmer months. You will also need a large body of water (minimum large stock tank or larger) which you will need to heat and filter. To heat, either a saltwater pool heater or make water heater using a heating element. For the filter, you can make a water filter. The water heating and filtering is best done outside the enclosure. Now you need a way of creating a basking spot, either a few high wattage globes or Nobo style heater (bolted to ceiling and facing down) To run this enclosure will be expensive as there are so many things required to be running year round in Victoria's climate. Probably best to PM for more details as not to hijack the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back