saltwater croc enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptilianGuy

Reaction score
i've been asked several times about how i house my saltwater crocodile by various users so this is why i'm putting this thread up.
i keep my lil guy in a 4ft (L) by 1ft (W) by 2ft (D)
lucian tank.jpg

it cosist of a 60wtt spotlight frrom bunnings for heat during the day and as a basking spot
it is roughly half full and has a dry platform to bask and dry, not that it is used much.
lucian bask dock.jpg

and for filtration i have to filters, one only has a sponge and the other contains the activated carbon and Bio bricks. i also use a 50wtt Repta pets heater, (pretty sure it was repta pets) or just a normal fishtank heater would be good but most of those lack the protective covering around the glass tube. this i have set at 25-26. and the water temp averages around the 23-25 degree C mark.
lucian water heat n filters.jpg

now he is only small at the moment so obviously this will not be a permanent enclosure for my lil guy (37cm) ...
hope this answers the questions a lil bit

be good to see what other setups other croc keepers use so feel free to add your setups and input :)

Nice looking set up.
Its a shame it will be to small in abouit 18 months to 2 years.

yeah, plenty o time to build a bigger better enclosure in that time frame haha.. his name is Lucian to btw. :)

wow mate its pretty simple i recon, this might sound dumb but do you actully need salt water? or can you just have them in fresh?

why dont people gett freshys? you can keep them their hole lifes? well in SA any way cheers

no i keep him in freshwater, however i do add a cup of sea salt to my water, but not for the croc. i picked that up when i used to keep native fish back in queensland as it helps kill some fungal diseases if you add or decrease salt content... estuarine (Salties) crocs can live in both salt and fresh water, as can freshies (Johnstones river).. so the name doesn't mean anything in respect to thats the water type where they are predomenently found... although the vast majority of freshies are found in the fresh.

:D haha they don't stop growing, he will out grow it and i will have to upgrade down the track

heaps of people have freshies, more than that who own salties i think, and not to sure on the SA laws on crocs

Last edited:
croc setups

heres my salty set up, 6x2x2 ft tank. 250w ceramic heat emitter for basking, uv light across the back. canister filter, pretty basic set up, the salty is a little over a metre(107cms) and before anyone says anything about the tank size, i did have a bigger setup for him, but he went off his food for a couple of months, as soon as he was moved. so he is back in there until he is fatter again and we can try him in his new enclosure once more.

the second picture is of the freshy set up. very very basic, bath tub with basking down one end and UV across the top. the setup has changed a little since the photo.(ie. bigger filter, larger land area, fake plant etc) the freshy is 49cms. taking over the salties tank as soon as he is established in his new enclosure.

Attachments

• hahfsh 260.jpg
    hahfsh 260.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 432
Where did you get a salty

Where did you get a salty and how much did that cost. Are there any specific regulations or permits required to keep them besides the obvious Rec Licence

Great enclosures, does anyone on aps acutually have a full grow salty?

nobody on aps that i know of owns a salt water crocodile at a decent size. there is a bloke in victoria that i know of up near taralgon that has a 3 metre salty, but thats the biggest i have herd of. there is a kid on here that's dad has an adult freshy, but thats about it.

Where did you get a salty and how much did that cost. Are there any specific regulations or permits required to keep them besides the obvious Rec Licence

no specific permits or regulations on keeping crocodiles other then what has already been stated. salties cost abou 250- 500 and freshies cost about the same. they both increase in price with age.

so what will you do when it gets big and where will you keep it when it gets to several metres??

ive got a 3 car garage that im am going to fix up and be croc friendly. im also planning on getting a couple more freshies and keeping them in a similar setup. the crocodile farms do run exchange programs, where when your crocodile gets too big, you can send him up and they will send you back down a hatchling, all you have to do is pay for freight.

Thats a pretty cool thing to do for the swap thing, its a shame we cant keep crocs in nsw can you keep freshies here?

yeah that guy lives in Yallourn just west of me.
it's only an Advanced license needed. mckellar covered it all pretty much... i intend to keep my lil guy till he's a uckin huge guy. just gotta make the enclosures bigger as they do to accomodate.

my lil guy was $200 + $50 for frieght and he's from Billabong Sanctuary in Townsville :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back