sand for spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Reaction score
hi im just wondering if you can use sand with spiders without casing any harm to them

so for bird eating spiders i shouldent use sand or if i do what will happen to it

if you wish to use sand use it mixed with coco peat but pure cocpeat is alot better.

so the exoterra desert sand i just got to use for my spider is not good for it
can it harm it or not

wont do it any good, will shorten life span, what species? For selenotypus and selenotholus they are good in a sand/coco peat mix but for seleenocosia/phlogius coco peat is the way to go.

Personally i can't see how using sand will harm a spider, the only bad thing i can see is it not being able to retain any moisture which could bring on humidity problems (esp when shedding)
Like most have said already unless the insect evolved in a dry sandy desert enviroment i'd be inclined to mix soil/peat with sand.
I have a solifugid here which must have sand because it comes from an extremley dry enviroment, humidity levels must be kept around 30% which would be detrimental to 99% of other spiders.
What specie's do you keep ?

best to keep it on peat or sand/peat mix

Ive found "Aussie T" holes in sandy soils, for what its worth.

I couldnt tell you what species was residing within it though.

im not sure what specie's t is the pet shop never told me

Ok thats confusing.... if you dont know what specie it is then how would you know the correct care for it ? :? & what a pants shop for not having something labled up & not telling the customer what specie it is.

Get that pic up zeke....im sure theres someone on here that can give you the info that the pet shop should have told you.

Ive found "Aussie T" holes in sandy soils, for what its worth.
I couldnt tell you what species was residing within it though.
errrr whats "Aussie T" ? I would have thought theres quite a few australian spiders that live in or on sand, i dont think the sands the problem, just the moisture it struggles to hold,,, in the wild this wouldnt be a problem, but in captivity when the moisture is controlled by the amount and frequency added by the keeper !!

Last edited:
hears the pic

hears the picure i took it is te best one there was i hope someone can tell me what species it is

Attachments

• IMG_0175 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_0175 (WinCE).JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 50
Hi Moreliaman , Aussie T = Aussie Tarantula;)
Sorry zeke I can't see your T at all, I have realy bad eyesight and the picture's way to small....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back