Sand monitor, possible MBD, what are my short-term options?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Already noticeably improved, no tremors/spasms, and reasonably active. Seems a little less energetic in his actions, but I suppose that's to be expected.

So uhh... Any tips on syringe feeding calcium solution to a monitor in the least stressful way possible?

Interesting... keep us posted on progress. If it will eat whole mice - small weaners maybe, with a bit of bone and fur, you could inject the calcium solution into the feeder animal, and best to feed a size that the monitor can swallow down straight away without the possibility of him trying to break it up.

Jamie

The only size he can eat whole is pinkies currently. I bought some the next size up (velvets I think my local store sells them as?) but even they are a little too big for him to eat whole. I've been chopping them into quarters and dribbling the calcium syrup over them and he's been picking at those. He still hasn't completely regained his appetite it seems, he's only interested in grazing at the moment.

f942f44175d80e03032591cb71c18bd4.jpg

Growing strong and feisty. Doesn't like me too much unless there's food involved.

It took only two proper doses (force fed) of calcium syrup before the neurological symptoms completely disappeared, and at the follow-up appointment Dr Simpson expressed the opinion that given I hadn't had him for so long, the deficiency may have originated before he was in my care, and was exacerbated by my own old UVB bulb. I continued giving him mice injected with the calcium syrup a couple of times per week, the. Tapered it off to once a week and then fortnight until January. Now he's in great shape and appears quite happy to stomp his way around his home, glaring and swearing at me. A lot.

https://vimeo.com/157999508

Last edited:
How good is that?

The video is a real cracker. Fabulous to see such normality given where he was at. What a great result – a good vet, good advice, diligently followed, to achieve a totally successful outcome.

I have never kept V. gouldii but in the wild they are definitely one of the more skittish monitors. Once they get a whiff of the notion they are being pursued by a human observer, they are off like a shot out of a gun. It is interesting to note that I have only ever known of one captive specimen that became what one might term as ‘friendly’ or at least accepting of its owner/carer. Bear in mind that is just in my limited experienced with the species.

Had been wondering how he was getting on and am stoked to hear of the positive outcome. Am really happy for you! Thanks for the superb update!

Last edited:
[MENTION=41842]Bluetongue1[/MENTION] we have two gouldii flavi's that are reasonably tame. Still juveniles, they are tolerant of our hands in their enclosures and us touching them. Less so of being picked up, but getting better. One is a bit boisterous at food time, but my wife has actually hand fed the other one. We are going to continue with them, and hopefully they stay that way.

[MENTION=41842]Bluetongue1[/MENTION] Thanks for the kind words mate :) As grumpy as he is, I'm over the moon that he's still around.
[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] my flavi behaves in a very similar fashion at about seven-nine months of age, and is settling down further at a rapid rate. Even looks like he enjoys a neck scratch on occasion.

Ours will hiss and carry on sometimes, but aren't skittish anymore when we touch them. They get a little jumpy when we pick them up to start with, but calm down to the occasional hiss and tail flick.

f942f44175d80e03032591cb71c18bd4.jpg

Growing strong and feisty. Doesn't like me too much unless there's food involved.

It took only two proper doses (force fed) of calcium syrup before the neurological symptoms completely disappeared, and at the follow-up appointment Dr Simpson expressed the opinion that given I hadn't had him for so long, the deficiency may have originated before he was in my care, and was exacerbated by my own old UVB bulb. I continued giving him mice injected with the calcium syrup a couple of times per week, the. Tapered it off to once a week and then fortnight until January. Now he's in great shape and appears quite happy to stomp his way around his home, glaring and swearing at me. A lot.

https://vimeo.com/157999508

Now that's what i call a food response, given the condition it was in originally that is an almost super human result, well done and congratulations on such a brilliant outcome. :) ..............Ron

Gday all, without starting a new thread i figure this would do.
I finally got my hands on my first Monitor (ridge tail) she is approximately 200mm long. I was hoping to get some tips on how to nake sure she doesn't stress too much, how much should i handle her and foods (i want to mix it up) i have done extensive research on it and feel overwhelmed with info. So i put it to you guys, any info would be awesome.

Like all reptiles, let it settle into its new home; keep handling to an absolute minimum and let it get used to your hand when are feeding, cleaning, changing water, etc. Monitors are a bit different to other reptiles in that you don't need to let it settle in before starting feeding. As long as you have the temps right, it will be fine, and should be hungry.
Monitors love it hot, so a basking spot of 50+ degrees is ideal. UV is a debatable topic with monitors; everyone has an opinion on this. It's never going to hurt is the best thing I can say.
With feeding, crickets for juveniles, and as they grow, introduce pinkies, chopped chicken necks, and chicken mince from a pet food supplier. Pet chicken mince has the bones minced in with it, so is better for the ackie. Dust the crickets with multi-cal or similar every second feed.

Thanks heaps Piney, the basking spot sits around 45degs and she has plenty of places to run climb dig and hide.. cant believe how active they are.. and i will keep the handling to the minimum :)

You need to get that basking temp up a bit hotter; 45 degrees is fine for dragons, but monitors love it in the 50's or higher. How big is your tank, and what type of globe are you using?

You need to get that basking temp up a bit hotter; 45 degrees is fine for dragons, but monitors love it in the 50's or higher. How big is your tank, and what type of globe are you using?
Oh really?? Okay, my current enclosure is 600mm sqaure. The glode is a 150watt eco terra basking globe... i am picking up a new timber enclosure with a glass front on weekend. I will grab some stuff to help increase the temperature.. appreciate the info mate

It's easy enough to get a higher temp. It can't be too bad if your ackie is active, but you can get a hotter basking spot by placing a rock or branch underneath the globe, raising her basking area.
Another good idea for ackies (and other small monitors) is a tile stack. Four or five tiles separated by small blocks of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back