Sand Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im Planning to eventually get 2 x Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus (Desert Sand Monitor).
Any Way Im After some info on them i have read up on the internet but just wondering any thing else. Im planning to build an outside enclosure for them that is roughly 5mx6m. Thankyou For your input.

Where Should i get them from?(Any Where in NSW would be fine but can travel QLD, VIC,SA.)
What do they eat?
How to Sex them?
How Much Sand do they need to dig in?(im Guessing 3ft)
Breeding Basics
What Lighting Should i Use to succeed the High Temperatures?
.etc

Last edited:
Search Sand Monitor in the search function as recently all this info was given, also contact reptillian66, antmisk, richardsc as they all keep and breed them or have done for many years.

Good Luck

not many folk breed true pure flavies that i know of,but im sure theres a few out there,i dont understand you traveling to qld,vic or sa to get them,are u licenced,as u cant take them from the wild,anyways answers to your questions

1,get them from a licenced breeder

2,they eat anything they can get down there gobs,insects,rodents,a little meat in captivity,also u can vary it up and offer quail and day old chicks for variety

3,xray can pick up the hemipenal bones in mature males,danny brown uses a method in juvies that uses bright light to see in that area,but sandys with adults,even sub adults theres a big size difference between males and females,males being alot tankier

4,at least a foot of sand for adults,and it has to hold burrows,2 foot would be good,with juvies maybe 5 inches of sand

5,breeding wise,if there kept hot enough,fed enough for the females to put the condition on to cycle and develop eggs,then they will likekly breed,but it takes alot of food and the right conditions before they will,as a rule

then u have to wait at least 6 months to see if eggs hatch,but getting eggs is a start

6,if your housing outdoors u shouldnt need lighting for heat,but indoors ,your looking at around at least 3 foot of lizard,so more than one bulb,so they can heat there whole body,your aim is to create a basking spot of at least 50 degrees,only that temp at the basking area,the rest of the cage should have a good gradient,low to mid 20,s at cool end up to 30 odd at warm end,and a basking area that allows them to choose how hot they want there body temp to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back