Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I came across this in a book and am wondering if anyone knows what species of carpet python a 'sandhill carpet python' is. Thanks!

Are you sure its called a sandhill python...NOT Anthill python,which is Australias smallest python..which is a species of Antaresia....(childrens,spotted,stimsons)

Its in the 'Introductory dictionary of Western Arrernte' (spoken in NT around Macdonnel ranges) by Gavan Breen and it has: "sandhill carpet snake" with a few translations. The only carpet python there is the bredli right? So would it be that? (Although I didn't think they had much to do with sandhills). Thanks for the answers :D

What was the publication date?

Edit:
Yep, just looked up the location of that language and it will be referring to bredli. What was the local name for them BTW?

Easiest way to have gotten the answer you where looking for mate would have been to either have googled or posted up the scientific name.

Easiest way to have gotten the answer you where looking for mate would have been to either have googled or posted up the scientific name.

Scorps, try doing what you have just suggested and see the results you get.

Scorps, try doing what you have just suggested and see the results you get.

By typing in 'Sandhill Python Northern Territory' I got results all based on Oenpelli Pythons, what I was saying was the Scientific Name although not owning the book that Anthon owns I woulnt know what the Sandhill Python is listed as although it most likely would of helped in the aid of discovering the identity of the python.

[edit] By searching 'Introductory dictionary of Western Arrernte' in various combinations I still didnt find that many refrences apart from a few different American answers.

What results did you find Waruikazi I would be interested to read about this as some search results seemed to point the name more towards Oeneplli Python although I do agree that it is most likely a Bredli

Last edited by a moderator:
By typing in 'Sandhill Python Northern Territory' I got results all based on Oenpelli Pythons, what I was saying was the Scientific Name although not owning the book that Anthon owns I woulnt know what the Sandhill Python is listed as although it most likely would of helped in the aid of discovering the identity of the python.

Anthon is using an Arrernte (which from memory is the language of the Aranda people around Alice) to English dictionary. It is very unlikely that the dictionary is of recent publication and even less likely that the authors listed scientific names of animals.

The name for oenpelli python in one of the languages of the area they are found in (Kunwinjku) is Narrawan.

[edit] By searching 'Introductory dictionary of Western Arrernte' in various combinations I still didnt find that many refrences apart from a few different American answers.

What results did you find Waruikazi I would be interested to read about this as some search results seemed to point the name more towards Oeneplli Python although I do agree that it is most likely a Bredli

I looked at the question differntly. I'm semi familiar with the area the language is used and i have an interest in indig languages. So i checked what area the language was from and the 'carpet' from that area is bredli.

Sorry Nawarran not Narrawan, i mix it up everytime!

Hi, thanks for the answers.

The dictionary was published in 2000 and looking in the English to Western Arrernte section I get 'carpet snake' as intwerrkenhe and 'sandhill carpet snake' as inenhe, kweneye or utneye.

I've just looked and found these words in the Western Arrernte to English section and it defines them as: "woma, sandhill carpet snake (Aspidites ramsayi)".

Not sure why the woma is being called a 'carpet snake' but problem solved :D Thanks for your help!

I looked at the question differntly. I'm semi familiar with the area the language is used and i have an interest in indig languages. So i checked what area the language was from and the 'carpet' from that area is bredli.

Haha we where both wrong :p

Told you the scientific name would of just soughted the problem out :)

Im not familier at all with any indiginous languages from NT although I would believe it would be a very interesting feild to look into

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back