Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
please feel free to point out any faults or anything as im new to pit building 8]..

Im finally starting on my new Sand Monitor pit, my sandy is about 8mnths now and is out growing his tank, the pit i have started on is roughly 3mx2m but its in a corner, it is about 3-4 times the size of his 5x2x2 Tank hes in now. This pit will be temporary, he will then move into a bigger pit with hopefully 1 or 2 others, this pit will be 5mx4m, then this pit im building now will house 4 Beardies 8]. Anyway i started off by cutting the pine to size to fit snug agains the rock and the brick wall, the pine at its longest edges measures up to be 2.4m. i then neatly(not really) paved the area with some old left over pavers we have lying around, all up i used about 60 at a guess. I then cut the drainage pipe that was allready there and placed a drainage box towards the back, the pipe also runs through the middle (under the pavers) which will soak up any water that the box doesnt get.
As a sand monitor loves to dig, they are quite good at escaping as far as iv'e heard so i have to make it 100% escape proof! i did this by Purchasing 1 bag of Quick Set Mortar, mixed it with some Sydney Sydney sand and water, i know motar isnt as strong as cement but it dries pretty hard and i doubt a sandy could dig through that.
I plugged up all the holes, nooks and cranies wit hths stuff! then i filled in around the drainage box. i left an area without pavers or anything, this will be a small pond, i will put a small submersible filter in there but im guessing because its out side it will need alot of cleaning no matter what (im cool with that though) and i plan to have a small pipe and pump and pump the water up the rockwall for it to trickle down back int othe water(Hopefully it all goes to plan). I put mortar in the bottom of the pond are so that if they pull up the pond liner he has nowhere to go, the next step is putting up the walls, glass front, door, roof, sand, heating, planting it out, adding furnishes.etc .etc then add the beast! 8] i will keep you updated on the progress. Sorry for the shabby photos, im yet to get a decent camera.

Attachments

• Pit1.jpg
    Pit1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Pit1- PondB4.jpg
    Pit1- PondB4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Pit1-During.jpg
    Pit1-During.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Pit1-Drain.jpg
    Pit1-Drain.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Pit1-Pond.jpg
    Pit1-Pond.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
cheers mate, it will probably only take a couple more days to finish off, its relitavely simple and quick to put up, dad helps out every now and then which gets it dont even quicker, its easy then cleaning my room lol(which was what delayed me from starting this pit).

lol, i always find every excuse possible not to clean my room. infact i was supposed to do it today. stuff that!

Wont they climb up that rock surface and get out ?

Looks great though.

haha Greeny, so do I i finished(Well supposedly) mine yesterday.
Yep probably, that's why i'm putting a roof on it, also i don't want cats to get in and eat them . Also here's a pic of the little guy who's going to be put in there:

Attachments

• 14122009(008).jpg
    14122009(008).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 213
really! someone told me they werent. lol. ive seen adds which say theyre class 2 animals but if your right i will go get 1 right now!

haha, cleaning ur room is over rated my quick fix 2 cleaning it is shuttig the door and saying no1s allowed in :lol:
looks good, hope the guy going in likes it.
thats a nice lookin monitor.

Will

Last edited:
haha listen to you kids complaining about having to clean one single room.
wait till you have the whole house to clean, especially after parties.

lol, by then you get married and have your misses do the cleaning. lol

hahahaah... you boys still living in the olden days. I live with my partner and i refuse to be the housewife woman. And you'll be stretched to find a girl these days that will run after you cleaning up all your mess! Its part of life, and girls like men who are neat, so just grin and bear it, its not that bad.

haha listen to you kids complaining about having to clean one single room.
wait till you have the whole house to clean, especially after parties.

amen! i just had a party here this weekend, and oh my goodness, the trash that was everywhere >_>"

luckily for me though, my friends stay back and help clean up :D

otherwise, the pit looks like it will turn out well, keep us updated!
stuff sand monitors, im getting a lacie :D

Lol, yeah greeny they are Class 1, Mines Class1 (I dont have class 2 Licence)
On Class 1 you can keep the following:
-Pygmy Mulga Monitors(V. Gilleni)
-Ridge-Tailed Monitors(V. Acanthurus)
-Black Headed Monitors(V. Tristis)
-Sand Monitors(V. Gouldii)

You should defiantly buy one man! they are awesome, PS im looking for a 2nd as soon as i get this 1 sexed!

BFG: i know lol, but ill be good at cleaning by then and i wont mind cleaning up, it will have to be done! I allways help clean up the house before parties.etc but with 5 people helping clean 1 house its pretty easy. Haha Will, thanks, hes not bad(Except hes shedding at the moment haha) i bought him as a Desert Sand Monitor, they are supposed to have different markings, orangy colours and are smaller than the v. Gouldii Gouldii, but im thinking now, that he may just be V.G. Gouldii not V. G. Flavirufus(Desert Sand). anyway thanks everyone for posting.

stuff sand monitors, im getting a lacie :D

8[, lol! yeah i know what you mean but you have to start out with something, after this guy i plan to get my 2years, then i will get others, my wanted monitor list is:

-Kimberly Rock Monitors
-Mangrove Monitors
-Perenties(oohh yeahh) lol but these when i move out and get enough room for them!

i think its not fair to keep perenties indoors. theyre huge and they like to run. if i did ever get one id live where ypu could keep them outdoors and give a decent size enclosure, about 10m long

Yeah i know, it would be slack.... you can keep them outdoors though in Summer/Srping(Dry) in Sydney/NSW. in Winter you have to bring them in, this is info which Walpole_Reptiles has told me. I would still love to keep one i would just have to get a missive enclosure, i was thinking buy a farm and make a massive barn and house them in there lol. Ive read that they have to be housed in at minimum 8m2 but people house in enclosure smaller than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back