Savannah cats - petition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been meaning to update this.
I spoke to Tony Peacock from the Invasive Animals Research Cntr last week, and his suggestion was to collate the data from the petition and put that in with the Draft Submission.
That way, our voices are a little more difficult to ignore. Well, as opposed to simply binning an email with a link.
He is taking care of that side of things, meaning I am free to sit back and deal with the threats of violence, being accused of "cat-hating", having my business torched (though it isnt my business?!) and a sly suggestion that I could be sued for "spreading misinfomation".... :lol:
As soon as I hear something concrete regarding the outcome of the petition/submission, I'll post it up.
cheers, toon

Bundy Zigg, you are obviously an avid cat lover, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, heck, I love animals, full stop, cats included. I have two of myown, both desexed, both spend a lot of their time indoors, but what you have said in your posts here only adds to the arguement FOR signing the petition, and keeping these bigger cats out. You cite the damage done by the current domestic cat population, can you imagine the degree of harm that would be done by BIGGER cats, who would be able to take down BIGGER prey, and so extend the number and types of native animals being killed by cats?

Your posts are an excellent case for signing!!!

Well lets start with YES I AM AN AVID CAT LOVER, but I also know the damage they do, so i say keep them out! by the way your cats should not be allowed out doors at all, maybe you should do your part to save some wildlife.

I quizzed Tony Peacock as to when we will find out anything concrete. To summarize his response (rather than quote him without permission:

• The closing date for submissions is tomorrow (July 17)
  • He guess it will take them about a week to go through the submissions
  • The scientific risk models indicate an extreme level of risk, a strong indicator that these animals will be banned from importation.
So I am hanging out for an announcement from Peter Garrett on a slow news day in a week or so.

I might add that I submitted my own submission directly to Peter Garrett before the review was set up.

ummmmmmmmmmmmm. bundy, the cats i have are well fed, well cared for, get their time outdoors, but are mainly indoors, which is why my house is full of cat fur where my daughter can't visit without siffering, and my house stinks with the cat trays I clean out three times a day.................................. they do NOT impact on local wildlife

Oh ................... and they are the SMALLER breed!!!!! not what is about to be imported. The biggest impact my cats have had are three pigeons............... neither of the two of them stray - they have no need

ummmmmmmmmmmmm. bundy, the cats i have are well fed, well cared for, get their time outdoors, but are mainly indoors, which is why my house is full of cat fur where my daughter can't visit without siffering, and my house stinks with the cat trays I clean out three times a day.................................. they do NOT impact on local wildlife

Oh ................... and they are the SMALLER breed!!!!! not what is about to be imported. The biggest impact my cats have had are three pigeons............... neither of the two of them stray - they have no need

I'm sorry but your pretty naive if you think just because your cats are well fed they aren't going to kill anything, they are one of the many animals in the world that kill for practice and the sheer joy of it. So like i said they ARE killing thing you just think they are not! I'm not sure what you do for kitty litter because ours never stink and the fur left from ours is vacuumed, our house is No different to a non - cat home except that we have 2 cats.
And what you think because they are a SMALLER breed!!!!! they cant kill, maybe you should do some reading about cats, they are killers well fed or starved!! My cats are totally indoors and extremely well fed(my vet can vouch for that) but they will still kill(not eat) jap geckos that happen to come down to low, not to mention when i feed my beardie mt black cat goes nuts trying to kill the woodies so please don't try and say your cats are the only ones in the whole that don't kill! the only out door time they should have is in a cat aviary, thats what responsible owners do
thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savannah cat submission

I thought I would share the submission to the environmental assessment of the Savannah cats from the Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre which Tony Peacock has just distributed:

Thanks for your interest in the Savannah Cat issue.

Today is the closing date for comments on the DEWHA environmental assessment.

I am attaching the Invasive Animals CRC’s submission for your information.

In very brief summary:

The Invasive Animals CRC agrees with DEWHA’s environmental assessment that Savannah cats represent an “extreme” risk to Australia’s environment. In our submission supporting the risk assessment we reinforce the points that genes do not simply ‘dilute’ over generations of animals so it is wrong to assert that F5 Savannah Cats have only 3.125% African Serval genes. If these genes enter the Australian feral cat population, they may well confer a fitness benefit that would be highly selected and/or result in hybrid vigour. New genes can ‘supercharge’ a feral population through hybrid vigour and/or by generating advantageous phenotypes outside the previous range. Proposed confinement procedures are unenforceable over the longer term with these animals in private homes. Savannah cats are derived from unsound animal welfare practices and any benefit to Australia is exceptionally small and cannot justify the risk involved.

Our a submission is not confidential.

Thanks for your support.

Prof. Tony Peacock
Chief Executive
Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre
An Australian Government Cooperative Research Centre
Phone +61 (0)2 6201 2887
Fax +61 (0)2 6201 2532
Mobile 0402 036 110
Email [email protected]
Web: www.invasiveanimals.com
Blog Feral Thoughts

“together, create and apply solutions”

Attachments

• IAResponseToSavannahRiskAssessment.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
Brilliant :) It sounds like they actually did consult a geneticist. Thank goodness.

bundy-zigg is right.
Dipcdame, you are oblivious. Your cat is different...

What i find strange is people letting their cat loose if they really care for it. If they genuinely cared about their cat (without even thinking about the negative impact on the environment) they would keep them inside and have an outdoor aviary or run. The dangers posed to cats are huge, cars, people, etc. If you don't want your cat dead, do what's best for it and our wildlife. If not, don't complain if it's shot or hit by a car.
I would love to set traps and hand them into shelters to teach owners a lesson to stop this carelessness.

The petition itself has been closed, the info sent off to the intended recipients.
Thanks to all that signed, (and supported it), and the hopeful outcome.
cheers, toon

By the way, can mods lock this thread to prevent further discussion?
The petition has run its course, has been submitted, and this should be the end of the line.
cheers, toon

pfffffft u lot,not signed,there already here anyways,but funny how u are all so well meaning about exotic animals coming into australia and the negative affects on our wildlife,wheres the petition to rid this country of all the import gtps,yep its non existant,sure they dont knock off native reptiles like a cat,but theres disease issues,dont blame the cats,its not there fault they have irresponsible owners,heck may as well ban horses,they cause erosion,dogs to,they kill native wild life and even the odd person,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back