Savannah cats - petition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed . We did breed and show cats for many years and i know that cats can and do escape even with the best of care . I can remember when the Bengals [ another hybred breed ]was introduced . They had a very bad nature . One judge was attacked by a kitten at a show in Canberra and had to be admitted to hospital . Bengals are no way as big as the savanah but still a dangerous animal . There is no way these animals should be introduced into Australia . There place is in a zoo that way interested fanciers can view them in a suitation where our wildlife is less likely to be attacked .
Why if these animals can be introduced it is impossible to import reptiles . They are less likely to do damage to the eco system .
Just my thoughts
Barry

Signed...

Although I am a Lover of Cats... Mainly Larger Species... And still think it is a pretty Kewl Lookin Cat....

I do agree with everyones comments regarding it killing animals in backyards...And in the bush when it becomes Feral.......

I love All types of animals..... Myself and partner have 3 cats (never ever let outside) 3 Staffies and 2 snakes.... what to do cause i wanted to get a bengal cat if the chance arose......

Very interesting reading. Basically, all the facts suggest that there is a high likelihood thatdespite all the best precautions, some Savannah cats will eventually escape, and if they do breed with feral cats then they will be a stronger, more successful hunter with virtually no predators who will be able to kill larger native animals than existing domestic and feral cats.

I don't understand how the government can even be considering allowing this species into Australia!

Signed

Have to add that all this talk of them only being sold desexed is utter BS..If you look at the site it says that anyone registered as a breeder with a cat society can buy them not desexed..IMO only a matter of time before they are being sold to anyone not desexed and the prices come down leading to more irresponsibe owners...

Ben

MMMmmm....

Should Savannah Cats escape and establish with feral Domestic Cat
populations in Australia they would be expected to have similar dietary requirements to
feral Domestic Cats. Should there be larger specimens resulting from Savannah Cat-feral
Domestic Cat cross-breeding, these specimens may be able to prey on larger native fauna.

Thanks for the link Hix. It's a bit odd that this report is dated as of yesterday, yet the purported importers of these cats suggest that that they'll be here in September?
Given that we have just under a month to submit a concern, it suggests that this issue isnt done and dusted! How positive is that? :D It looks as though the importers are....well, I wouldnt accuse them of lying, but surely speculating in the hope of receiving deposits.
Starting to smell a bit dicey.

Quote from the report;

7.1 Likelihood of Escape
The keeping, including control of escape, of companion cats in Australia is the
responsibility of individual owners. The degree that individuals take this responsibility
seriously varies significantly.
Some breeders and individual owners present the case that the value (monetary or
personal) of specimens may reduce the risk of escape or deliberate release. There is not
always a correlation between the price of specimens and the level of secure housing
provided by the owner or breeder. There is an issue of the monetary value of a specimen
reducing after a period of time as numbers of specimens in captivity increase, and if the
popularity of the specimen and interest in, or challenge of breeding, changes.
There is also a risk that, even if valuable, some owners may find that release is
preferential to alternatives of on-selling (alternative ownership) or euthanasia if their
situation changes and they find they cannot keep the specimen(s). This may also be the
case if a specimen’s temperament is undesirable and is not compatible to the needs of an
owner.
Olsen and Jensz (2007) suggested that Factors that can influence the likelihood of escape
or release of cat hybrids include: the security of the premises holding the hybrids,
including cages in homes; the keeping restrictions placed on hybrid cat owners; and
community and keeper attitudes. Cats are hard to confine and readily escape and many
members of the community feel that it is cruel to keep them confined in homes and cages,
which can lead to willful or accidental release. Natural disasters and accidents can allow
release even from the most secure cages. It is hard to control the keeping and breeding of
cats and to detect breaches, and even harder to locate and remove the escapees. Hence,
there is a high risk of escape or release.

I think that sums up the risks associated with these creatures.

Signed

YUP I signed it (Hmmmm Does it count if I'm 12???! LOL ahh well, they won't know!)

I contacted the Animal Welfare League yesterday regarding their logo appearing on the importers site, and asked them about their stance.

I received an email today stating;

In response to your query regarding the League's stance on the
importation of this breed, I can advise that our Board has not
considered our stance.

I believe that at the next Board meeting our stance will be in line with
current thinking.

The website you visited has no approval to use our logo and in fact, I
have this morning emailed the organization to desist from use of our
logo.

If you wish to contact me after our Board meets next week I will then be
able to advise you of our stance in this matter.

Regards,
(name withheld due to infringement concerns by me)
As of this afternoon, the AWL logo and message of alleged support has been removed.

This is an important step, given that the importers have obviously proven themselves to be somewhat deceitful by using another companies logo and implied support of their business.

If people were to mention it in any submission to Govt, I feel that it may add a lot of weight. If the importers themselves cant be trusted, can we trust the owners?

The Minister for the Environment, P. G. has formulated the above mentioned proposal under Part 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) to amend the List of Specimens taken to be Suitable for Live Import (live import list) for Savannah Cats.

Comments are invited on the draft report, details are available at:

http://www.environment.gov.au:80/biodiversity/trade-use/invitecomment/savannah-cat.html

Just to let people know the other petition will now be put to the Senate as soon as we get the OK from Senator Bob Brown (we still need to fix a couple of things)

Per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back