Save Steve's Place

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzi

Reaction score
Thought id bring this to everyones attention.

To sign the petition go to-

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/

Save Steve's Place
Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR), a wetland conservation property and tribute to Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, is being threatened by strip mining.

The 135,000 ha property, in Queensland’s Cape York Peninsula, is home to a set of three important spring fed wetlands which provide a critical water source to threatened habitat, provide permanent flow of water to the Wenlock River, and is home to rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife.

Cape Alumina Pty Ltd has lodged mining lease applications which include approximately 12,300 ha of the Reserve.
Terri Irwin said that SIWR was an important ecological site, which needs to be preserved in order to protect Australian habitat which is in danger of severe degradation and ruin.

“The proposed area for mining on the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve contains the head waters of irreplaceable waterways and unique biodiversity which will not recover after mining operations are finished,” Terri said.
“I am a realist and I understand that mining is an important industry, however we have learned over the last 50 years of bauxite mining, it is critical to set aside the most environmentally sensitive areas, such as SIWR, and consider not mining them. Responsible mining companies are already doing this as part of developing carbon credit programs,” Terri said.

Just have to give your name & email, i rekin its worth signing up.

crap, what retarts those blokes are! they shouldn't alow it!
all my family and ectended family have signed it!

Luke

It would be interesting to see what species they consider to be rare? i think its a little odd to not include some
if not all the "rare" species they claim reside at that location.

.If theres some where with more information like a list of rare species claimed to be in this area, could someone
post a link, as i couldnt find it on the petition (maybe im blind?).

I dont think ill sign something with so little information...

I wonder if the mary river turtle resides there? And if they would use it as an excuse for the petition

I clicked on the link & it took me to plesk web site builder.
If they cant put a proper link to read about the details .
I cant put my name to it as
I have enough crap on my pc as it is.

From the interview i saw (the argument as i took it in a nutshell) there is other areas with bauxite that could be mined, why mine an area that had been set aside for wildlife.

Heres a section from an article on www.news.com.au

Terri Irwin, Australia Zoo principal and widow of the wildlife icon, said the reserve's ecological value was irreplaceable and needed to be preserved in order to protect Australian habitat.

Ms Irwin said it was home to three important spring-fed wetlands that provided a critical water source to threatened habitat, provided a permanent flow of water to the Wenlock River, and was home to rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife.

The proposed area for mining on the reserve contains the headwaters of irreplaceable waterways and unique biodiversity which will not recover after mining is finished, she said.

The Wenlock River also supported a critical population of endangered spear-tooth sharks, sawfish and the now-vulnerable estuarine crocodile.

"I am a realist and I understand that mining is an important industry. However, we have learned over the last 50 years of bauxite mining that it is critical to set aside the most environmentally sensitive areas such as the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve and not consider mining them," she said.

Thanks for posting that extra information Owzi,

The Wenlock River also supported a critical population of endangered spear-tooth sharks, sawfish and the now-vulnerable estuarine crocodile.

Salties vulnerable, hard to imagine.

Have done and done. Also put the petition link up on myspace bulletin to get more votes. Anything to help Steve's reserve 8)

Done and signed.

I should not matter what info there is and what animals are threatned - just sign it anyway - if you care about the land and the animals........

Man that sucks, Mining steves pride and joy aswell as he worked for. I signed it. onli if we could just sign it over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back