saved eastern snake neck turtle today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
was driving along the hwy at hexam out side of Newcastle today when i saw this turtle taking out towards the traffic so i pulled up asap only though i was about 50 meters away and realized this turtle was not stopping and the traffic was unaware. so i had to make a quick 50 m dash and just saved it before getting squashed.....got a few horn beeps and waves with some big smiles .....the turtle was released back to its creak bit further away from traffic...

cheers steve

Good on ya Steve :D That's what I like to see, more ppl willing to stop for the poor little turtle. I've rushed out onto the road before, grabbing animals off roads. I was lucky to my lacy off in time before a large truck came round the bend.

Goodonya cobber. There's a beer for ya in the fridge if ya turn up in Darwin. I drove into a swamp to avoid hitting an adult bhp. Bought myself some beers to celebrate when I got out.

Have you tried dogding a road covered in frogs? Not fun when you think you move to go straight over them (not the tyres of course) only to find you missed, or squashed another. :(

Goodonya cobber. There's a beer for ya in the fridge if ya turn up in Darwin. I drove into a swamp to avoid hitting an adult bhp. Bought myself some beers to celebrate when I got out.

yep on my 6th tooheys new now........great day crappy surf took the wrong turn off on the way home, it was ment to be lol

I drove through central Oz during record floods. It was horrible to run over frogs that could have sat underground for 10 years waiting for this opportunity.

But there were so many that even with due dilligance there were inevitable casualties. I'll never forget pulling up at a creek crossing and listening to a thunderous chorous from several species under starlight as bright as a half moon.

Our green tree frogs are gronking in their pots on the balcony, the first thunderstorm to hit Darwin this season is rumbling in the distance, temps down 10o to 28. Casey got the world championship, the rugby's on and still I feel for those I frogs I squashed 20 years ago.

I just watched a little bearded dragon run across the highway. I saw him at the side of the road so I pulled over, expecting the worse. I didn't get out of the car because I knew it would scare him onto the road but that is where he went anyway. There was miles of traffic behind me and going the other way. This little dragon ran straight into the path of a truck, yet when the truck passed, instead of finding a squashed lizard I spotted him just running off the road, on the other side. I was grimacing when I saw him run under the truck, but couldn't believe it that he made it, and disappeared into the long grass. I already had a galah in my jacket that had been hit on the road, along the highway. Oncoming traffic wasn't impressed with my rescue and tootted their horn at me but I didn't care. Just because they had the heart to drive over the top of him and keep going doesn't mean I did. I gave him to FAWNA to take care of. He didn't look too bad, but his legs wouldn't work for him. Wings escaped damage which is a good sign. When I went kayaking I also saved a moth and a bee from drowning in the river. Both aired their wings out and flew away.

Last edited:
I was using a local overpass yesterday when I saw a snake on the road. My partner asked what colour it was and the only word I could reply was "red"

:(

Otherwise I would have turned around to get a better look and direct traffic around it if it was a Ven (more than likely in our area) but we were too late.

Have you tried dogding a road covered in frogs? Not fun when you think you move to go straight over them (not the tyres of course) only to find you missed, or squashed another. :(

are you sure you squashed frogs? Frogs don't generally migrate If they were sitting up then they were probably cane toads and therefore you did the world a favour! I've been living in NT my whole life and never came across frogs on the roads. Though I don't doubt it could happen occasionally especially at the end of breeding season

Both sides of Hexam swamp you will get that. On the F3 freeway when the swamp was drying out. They were crossing the freeway 110 zone. We spent 2 days collecting them and moving them to the other pond. Was a lot we couldnt save.

are you sure you squashed frogs? Frogs don't generally migrate If they were sitting up then they were probably cane toads and therefore you did the world a favour! I've been living in NT my whole life and never came across frogs on the roads. Though I don't doubt it could happen occasionally especially at the end of breeding season

On moist nights many many frog species will be out traveling around, many on roads. Many species of frogs will also sit up in a similar way to that characteristic of a Cane Toad.

I have saved many Bobtails
got out the car and made them walk of the sides in to bush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back